• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Opinion on Navy Blazer button replacement

Avidius5

Reaction score
I just purchase a BB Regent fit navy blazer. It looks and fits great but the gold buttons are awful and I'd like to replace them. Just for some perspective, I'm a professor (and 31 years old), and generally wear chinos/tie/oxford shirt or grey flannels/shirt/tie. With exception of the Summer, I like wearing a jacket. This blazer would rarely be needed for "formal" occasions. I'm deciding between these two buttons. One is a smoke MOP and the other a beautiful brown. I'd leaning toward the brown. What are your thougts?

charliebrown2

Reaction score
i like the brown...would look less like a suit jacket

where are you getting them from btw? I'm thinking about replacing some blazer buttons too

charliebrown2

Reaction score
dont get me wrong, smoked MOP is pretty popular too...just preference

thanks for the link

Last edited:

Makoto Chan

Reaction score
Smoked MOP is very nice (assuming it's genuine, not plastic). The iridescent gleam is distinct and won't be mistaken for regular black or navy. I think it's nice, but maybe a little too fashion-y. Go with your gut.

Lord Mulberry

Reaction score
I used to be a bit avant garde with the navy blazer I had. I often wear white or near white chinos so I replaced the silver buttons with white ones.

Gauss17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really like silver buttons on a navy blazer. I have some on mine similar to these:

R.O. Thornhill

Reaction score
Where did you find those silver four-hole buttons? Have been looking for some myself

JStenfors

Reaction score
I'd go with the brown one as the color plays nicely together with navy.

FlaneurNYC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really like the idea of mother of pearl with a blazer because it picks up on the qualities of metal without feeling brash like shiny metal can.

But the brown is a great choice, too. And probably the more conservative one.

morrison13

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I think the smoked ones will definitely make the navy blazer come alive. But I kinda like the silver one posted here. In the end it's your choice really.

AlexE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Definitely the brown ones!

Flanderian

Reaction score
I would prefer the brown. I think that this particular shade of brown, which I presume is horn, will look great on a navy blazer. Understated, but distinctive.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads