1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Opinion on Navy Blazer button replacement

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Avidius5, Aug 8, 2012.

1. Avidius5

Avidius5 Member

I just purchase a BB Regent fit navy blazer. It looks and fits great but the gold buttons are awful and I'd like to replace them. Just for some perspective, I'm a professor (and 31 years old), and generally wear chinos/tie/oxford shirt or grey flannels/shirt/tie. With exception of the Summer, I like wearing a jacket. This blazer would rarely be needed for "formal" occasions. I'm deciding between these two buttons. One is a smoke MOP and the other a beautiful brown. I'd leaning toward the brown. What are your thougts?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. charliebrown2

charliebrown2 Senior member

i like the brown...would look less like a suit jacket

where are you getting them from btw? I'm thinking about replacing some blazer buttons too

3. Avidius5

Avidius5 Member

4. charliebrown2

charliebrown2 Senior member

dont get me wrong, smoked MOP is pretty popular too...just preference

thanks for the link

Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
  5. Makoto Chan

Makoto Chan Senior member

Smoked MOP is very nice (assuming it's genuine, not plastic). The iridescent gleam is distinct and won't be mistaken for regular black or navy. I think it's nice, but maybe a little too fashion-y. Go with your gut.

6. Lord Mulberry

Lord Mulberry Senior member

I used to be a bit avant garde with the navy blazer I had. I often wear white or near white chinos so I replaced the silver buttons with white ones.

7. Gauss17

Gauss17 Senior member

I really like silver buttons on a navy blazer. I have some on mine similar to these:

[​IMG]

8. R.O. Thornhill

R.O. Thornhill Senior member

Where did you find those silver four-hole buttons? Have been looking for some myself

9. JStenfors

JStenfors Member

I'd go with the brown one as the color plays nicely together with navy.

10. FlaneurNYC

FlaneurNYC Senior member

I really like the idea of mother of pearl with a blazer because it picks up on the qualities of metal without feeling brash like shiny metal can.

But the brown is a great choice, too. And probably the more conservative one.

11. morrison13

morrison13 Well-Known Member

I think the smoked ones will definitely make the navy blazer come alive. But I kinda like the silver one posted here. In the end it's your choice really.

12. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member Dubiously Honored

One more vote for smoked MoP. If the navy is more of a brighter shade regular MoP is really nice for summer too IMHO.

13. AlexE

AlexE Senior member

Definitely the brown ones!

14. Gauss17

Gauss17 Senior member

15. Flanderian

Flanderian Active Member

I would prefer the brown. I think that this particular shade of brown, which I presume is horn, will look great on a navy blazer. Understated, but distinctive.

16. dks202

dks202 Senior member

What's wrong with the gold buttons? Classic.....

17. Gauss17

Gauss17 Senior member

Nothing, I just like silver better.

18. gsugsu

gsugsu Senior member

You want an odd blue jacket instead of a blazer so the brown horn or other colours that others have suggested will certainly accomplish this task while eliminating any sense that you are wearing a suit jacket. I like the MOP too. I have a couple of suits with them. I'd be interested to hear what others think regarding their appropriateness for an odd jacket.

19. Tropicalist

Tropicalist Senior member

A blazer without metal buttons is an odd jacket not a blazer. And and odd jacket should not be navy blue as the navy blue odd jacket is a bazer with metal buttons. If you really dislike gold (why?) go for copper or brass, or something called cow gold (black polish over gold). The blazer is a classic. Don't mess with it.

20. n-domino

n-domino Senior member

I completely disagree. An odd navy sportcoat with horn or MOP buttons is a classic and foundational piece in any wardrobe. It goes with virtually everything and will always remain in style. The same could be said for blazers, but those gold buttons remind me too much that the wearer is a member of a yacht club.