• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Opinion on Hugo Boss 'Red' Suits

StyGen

Reaction score
Hey all, I've been searching for a decent quality slim-fitting suit in the price range of between $500 and under $1k for some upcoming interviews I'm going to have.

Most suits I've purchased have padded shoulders which I hate. I already have well developed shoulders and I want to avoid the football player look.

My size, 36s, makes this a very hard task and I've had bad experiences with H&M. Now I know Boss is not held very highly here but I want to hear what you guys think about this particular suit:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tab%3DWatching

What are your views on the Hugo Boss 'Hugo' Red suits? They appear to be of higher quality than the regular Boss line suits. Also, I believe $700 is the regular price for this suit but this is such a hard size to find.

Deipnosophist

Reaction score
Irrespective of one's personal opinions on Hugo Boss suits, that is not a suit for interviews. Black suits are not suitable for officewear, and as such you should not wear them at an interview. A dark navy or charcoal is more appropriate.

Good luck with the interviews!

rioni

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you can do much better for 700! also, they are not higher quality from the regular line.

Originally Posted by StyGen
Hey all, I've been searching for a decent quality slim-fitting suit in the price range of between $500 and under $1k for some upcoming interviews I'm going to have.

Most suits I've purchased have padded shoulders which I hate. I already have well developed shoulders and I want to avoid the football player look.

My size, 36s, makes this a very hard task and I've had bad experiences with H&M. Now I know Boss is not held very highly here but I want to hear what you guys think about this particular suit:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tab%3DWatching

What are your views on the Hugo Boss 'Hugo' Red suits? They appear to be of higher quality than the regular Boss line suits. Also, I believe $700 is the regular price for this suit but this is such a hard size to find.

noVA99

Reaction score
a black suit is fine for interview and office wear and a Hugo is fine for an interview....unless you are interviewing to be a model or to work in the fashion industry, no one is going to care if you wear a Hugo to an interview or wear a black suit....

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Deipnosophist
Irrespective of one's personal opinions on Hugo Boss suits, that is not a suit for interviews. Black suits are not suitable for officewear, and as such you should not wear them at an interview. A dark navy or charcoal is more appropriate.

Good luck with the interviews!

BS. This is one of the great SF myth's that everyone here buys into.

When I went through recruiting most guys I knew (maybe 60%) wore plain black suits, and believe it or not, employers didn't bat an eye or think twice about it.

Unless you're being interviewed by an SF'er, no one will care.

cvac

Reaction score
Since you are still deciding what suit to buy, it would behoove you to get a solid Navy or dark gray suit. While you may be able to "get away" with a black suit, it is far from ideal or preferable.

Those red label Hugo suits are sold at Macys, I believe for about the same price. I don't think you would be getting a great deal here. Anyway, $700 is too much to pay for a suit like that.

H&M isn't a very good baseline for comparison. You need to get out there and do some more shopping around. For $700 you can easily get a decent suit that will be much better than either of these choices.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by noVA99
a black suit is fine for interview and office wear and a Hugo is fine for an interview....unless you are interviewing to be a model or to work in the fashion industry, no one is going to care if you wear a Hugo to an interview or wear a black suit....

Originally Posted by FidelCashflow
BS. This is one of the great SF myth's that everyone here buys into.

When I went through recruiting most guys I knew (maybe 60%) wore plain black suits, and believe it or not, employers didn't bat an eye or think twice about it.

May be so(and frankly I couldn't care less), but black suits just don't look good in daylight, and with fair skin complexions. End of story.

StyGen

Reaction score
Thanks you all for your advice. I won't be getting this in black, most likely charcoal or navy. While I know there's a debate as to whether black is appropriate for interviews or not, I feel that charcoal or navy is more versatile.

I've seen these at macy's and other department stores before and yes they were this price. The only reason I think this might be worth is due to 36s being such a hard size to find. Also, the fit is looks trim enough for me and most importantly the shoulders are not heavily padded.

Has anyone had experience owning one of these suits? How do they hold up across time? Being fused, is there the dreaded bubbling I hear so much about?

If there are any other brands I should be looking at, please let me know. My main concerns are the shoulder padding (hate it) and slim fit (I'm fairly thin).

bobdobalina

Reaction score

True for you, perhaps, but most certainly not true for everyone, everywhere.

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StyGen
Thanks you all for your advice. I won't be getting this in black, most likely charcoal or navy. While I know there's a debate as to whether black is appropriate for interviews or not, I feel that charcoal or navy is more versatile. I've seen these at macy's and other department stores before and yes they were this price. The only reason I think this might be worth is due to 36s being such a hard size to find. Also, the fit is looks trim enough for me and most importantly the shoulders are not heavily padded. Has anyone had experience owning one of these suits? How do they hold up across time? Being fused, is there the dreaded bubbling I hear so much about? If there are any other brands I should be looking at, please let me know. My main concerns are the shoulder padding (hate it) and slim fit (I'm fairly thin).
What is your time frame? How soon do you need the suit? If you have the time, it's worth looking around for deals, as many of the RTW suits in that price range are probably not worth paying full retail for. However, if you're up against a time crunch, then I would suggest just getting what fits you best. You may consider Ted Baker. I have a Ted Baker suit that is quite trimly cut. They area bit more youth/young professional oriented, but it's still possible to find suits that are on the more conservative end of the spectrum. They also have relatively good sales, where you can pick something up at a reasonable price for the quality. John Varvatos may be an option; when we lived in the US, I often saw some of their less expensive suits available at places like Nordstroms for ~US$800. Many American members of the board are Brooks Brothers fans; do they make some of their more slim cut suits (e.g., Regent, Fitzgerald) in 36s? I believe they're available for just a little over your price point (~US$900?). You may consider buying a 36R or slim fitting 38 suit and having a reputable tailor alter the length, body, etc. to suit your needs. Might also try looking on the Italian website Yoox that have many suits in your size. What about something like this, by Verri Uomo? http://www.yoox.com/item/YOOX/VERRI/...s/searchResult You could even pick-up a reasonably priced Emporio Armani. http://www.yoox.com/item/YOOX/EMPORI...s/searchResult Armani suits are cut quite slim. I've often had to size up from EU48/US38 to EU50/US40. Given Yoox's good return policy, it might be worth buying something first and returning it if it doesn't fit well. They have some excellent prices at the moment on their autumn/winter stuff.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
May be so(and frankly I couldn't care less), but black suits just don't look good in daylight, and with fair skin complexions. End of story.
If it doesn't look good on you, that's a different story. I don't know if it doesn't look good on all light-skinned people, and frankly don't care because I'm not light-skinned. I've seen black suits that look just as good as charcoal or navy suits on lights of guys in daylight.
Originally Posted by bobdobalina
True for you, perhaps, but most certainly not true for everyone, everywhere.
I have never heard this rule before I started visiting internet forums. Can anyone actually cite an example of a partner at a firm, a major employer, a HR representative, a employment recruiter, or someone else who actually has the final say on business dress code in the workplace state that black suits are unacceptable? Is this specific to some regions or industries? Is this some archaic rule from a few decades ago? AFAIK, this is as much an urban legend as people exploding from eating pop rocks and pop.

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it doesn't look good on you, that's a different story. I don't know if it doesn't look good on all light-skinned people, and frankly don't care because I'm not light-skinned. I've seen black suits that look just as good as charcoal or navy suits on lights of guys in daylight.

I have never heard this rule before I started visiting internet forums. Can anyone actually cite an example of a partner at a firm, a major employer, a HR representative, a employment recruiter, or someone else who actually has the final say on business dress code in the workplace state that black suits are unacceptable? Is this specific to some regions or industries? Is this some archaic rule from a few decades ago?

AFAIK, this is as much an urban legend as people exploding from eating pop rocks and pop.

black itself is a very flat, dead tone, not very flattering in daylight. especially against a lighter complexion, it draws any remaining color away from the face and into the suit. the main point is to try to get the interviewer to be drawn to the most important feature on you - your face. you want them to focus on your face for a number of reasons. this is also a rule of tradition, not an urban legend, as is explained in flusser's book.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stickonatree
black itself is a very flat, dead tone, not very flattering in daylight.
Whether a tone is flattering or not is totally subjective and dependent on the wearer and many other factors. People repeat this "no black suits to work" business as if it is a concrete universal fact. Besides, the original objection raised was not that its an unflattering tone, but it's that:
Black suits are not suitable for officewear.
this is also a rule of tradition, not an urban legend, as is explained in flusser's book.
What's the source of this tradition, and how long has it been dead for?

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
black itself is a very flat, dead tone, not very flattering in daylight. especially against a lighter complexion, it draws any remaining color away from the face and into the suit. the main point is to try to get the interviewer to be drawn to the most important feature on you - your face. you want them to focus on your face for a number of reasons. this is also a rule of tradition, not an urban legend, as is explained in flusser's book.

Unless you're at an evening event, I think gray/charcoal or navy are "warmer," more personable colours. Black just leaves me feeling cold. I also have met many interviewees who wear VERY ill-fitting, poorly-styled black suits, so much so that black suits leave me with a bit of a prejudice during interviews, just because I've met so many bad dressers who wear them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads