• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Opinion on E.T. Wright shoes

m3rkury

Reaction score
What is the general consensus on E.T. Wright shoes. I recently had a mishap that lead to some serious damage to my only pair of dress shoes (poor student), and I need a replacement. Searching the internet I came across these (also available as these). Only having ~$100 to invest (again, poor student) and a short time to do so, these seem tempting. I would love to catch a decent AE at this price point, but I dont think I can wait for some to roll around. Any thoughts?

I appreciate your input.

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They're either made by Magnanni or Sanders in either case for the price I don't think you can do better new. But,you can catch AEs for that and lower on Ebay.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've got a pair of Wrights that I quite like, but I paid $30 for mine. For $100, you're better off getting some AEs from a reputable eBay seller.

That said, my Wrights are very comfortable, and have held up surprisingly well to a good bit of abuse. The leather isn't the greatest, of course, but they still look better than my sole pair of J&Ms, which have seen far less wear.

I have to ask, though: If these are going to be your only pair of dress shoes, are you sure you want a double monk?

m3rkury

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick replies.

As far as eBay goes, I've never purchased anything from there so I'm a bit hesitant. I'd like to start at some point, just not sure if now is the time (although I am tempted, given the good fortune of this forums members).

And for the monkstraps, I've always been drawn to them. I like how they combine a cap toe with a little flair, yet still remain professional. After reading "The Suit", I've made a resolution to introduce that little bit of style and personality to my wardrobe. Or maybe I'm just talking out my other end...

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What size are you?

m3rkury

Reaction score
Size 9D (as far as I can tell). Although I tried a pair of AE fairfax's at Nordstrom Rack recently and the shoe felt long in the toe box, but a 8.5D was definately too short for my arch. Probably just a last issue.

BTW, I just perused ebay and didn't see anything of interest.

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NoVaguy
$100 with shipping is a lot for a pair of heavily used shoes.
I didn't see the bottom pic of the soles.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads