• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Opinion on Change of Buttons

AxlJack

Reaction score
I just bought a Shawl Lapel Blazer that has cloth covered buttons. Now I know these buttons are reserved for a tux, however I dont ever intend to use it as such since they never came with a pair of trousers; just the jacket. The lapels are black and the cloth is a lighter black than the lapel (gravitating towards a very very dark grey) So given the usage as an odd blazer should I change them to normal buttons or leave em as they are? Edit: Pics of the blazer
shawl1.jpg

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AxlJack
I just bought a Shawl Lapel Blazer that has cloth covered buttons. Now I know these buttons are reserved for a tux, however I dont ever intend to use it as such since they never came with a pair of trousers; just the jacket.

The lapels are black and the cloth is a lighter black than the lapel (gravitating towards a very very dark grey)

So given the usage as an odd blazer should I change them to normal buttons or leave em as they are?

Sounds like a tuxedo jacket to me. How do you plan to wear it?!

AxlJack

Reaction score
Originally Posted by acecow
Sounds like a tuxedo jacket to me. How do you plan to wear it?!

lol thats what I'm thinking, but i was gonna try wearing it like an SB with tie
confused.gif

Pieceofsand

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Didn't you say it was a shawl lapel?

VelvetGreen

Reaction score
Just no.

harry2quinn

Reaction score
Hard to tell without pics, but sounds like you should wear it as a dinner jacket. Dinner jackets may have shawl lapels, but it depends on exactly how dark that gray is. If it's pretty much black, you may get away with it.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a bad idea, not sure it could work as dinner jacket either. If lapels were peaked instead of shawl, you might just about get away with it - i.e. could be just interpreted as an eccentric style / fashion statement.

But for sure: With shawl lapels and nightly colors, this will not be the sport coat you wear on a nice spring day, sun out and shining, birds chirping ...

For evening wear what do you hope to match up such a jacket with? Jeans, Chinos? Dress pants out of the question with this odd jacket.

Take it back whence you got it, get a proper dinner jacket or suit.

harry2quinn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pvrhye
Are the lapels shinier than the jacket? Sounds to me like you have an orphaned dinner jacket.

Doesn't have to be shiny - could be grosgrain...

softy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
confused.gif

Regarding this usage of "an SB" -- we know it means single-breasted, but do you actually say "an SB" out loud like that in real life? If so, that is kind of weird.

Wiker

Reaction score
Just use it as a tuxedo jacked and buy yourself a new blazer...

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
confused.gif

No....
facepalm.gif

Geezer

Reaction score
Keep the buttons.

Throw away everything else.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads