• Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear and fashion.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Opinion on Canali Kei Navy Patch pocket jacket

jonny2box

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm trying to build up a wardrobe for a new career.
I managed to get a great deal on this jacket -but wondering if I should return it.
Aside from the patch pockets, and soft shoulders... it is basically looks and feels the same kind of fabric as a orphaned suit jacket. Smooth Navy wool, no texture, no checks or patterns that would make it stand out as a sport coat.
I'm wondering how versatile or useful this may be as a 'staple' piece in my wardrobe
any help or opinions on this ?

Attachments

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're just starting out building a wardrobe, in my opinion you should return this jacket. You need a staple blue blazer/sportcoat. This jacket strikes me as neither fish nor fowl -- an odd juxtaposition of formal and casual. More formal by the fabric and dark buttons, more casual by the patch pockets and unstructured construction inherent to Kei jackets.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Personally not into the Kei silhouette and don't think it looks good on many men.

Like a lot of "modernized Italian" cuts -- LBM, Boglioli, etc -- it's too slim, short, and deconstructed.

jonny2box

Reaction score
I realize the fit of the Kei line isn't something that works for everyone, But maybe since the subject has been brought up this is a good place to give my overall impressions of fit. - I own 2 other Kei jackets and in some of Canali's other jackets like their travel blazer I have to size down to a 36R.
I'm quite pleased that more tailored clothing is coming with slimmer / modern cuts. I agree this jacket is borderline too short ! So buyer beware if you're reading this and wondering about sizing. but there was a time not that long ago where I couldn't find anything in a size 38R that wasn't super boxy. For reference, (I'm 5' -8" , 160lbs, 32.5" waist) so the 17.75" shoulders and a 20" chest and drop 7 / 8 with a fair bit of waist suppression in the jacket actually works nice. The overall short length of the back of the jacket fits my torso and covers my rear just fine but I agree I wouldn't dare go any shorter and perhaps this jacket is best for someone about 5'7" When I have the sleeves finished at 24.5" for my somewhat short arms, the proportions look decent. I guess I'm one of the few who can pull off these new cuts without having their arse uncovered or looking too young / 20-something childish. My main gripe is they are just 'ok' quality wise with no hand work, no horn buttons, and for the money I would never even consider it unless it was at a sizeable discount.

Last edited:

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Favorite knitwear under jackets/sport coats

• Crewneck sweater

• Turtleneck sweater

• Long-sleeve polo

• Vest

• I don't like knitwear worn with jackets/sport coats

Results are only viewable after voting.