• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Opinion on a men's suit

blue123

Reaction score
I just recently purchased this blue plaid suit from Joseph Abboud.

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/joseph-...-suit/3190583?origin=category&resultback=4341

I was actually looking for a slim fit suit. I am a thin set individual who wears a 40R. The classic suits tend to hang on me. However the Joseph Abboud in 38 Reg fits quite well. I haven't altered the suit yet. I am thinking of returning it mainly because I seem to be having trouble matching shirts that would go with that suit. I was wondering if I could pick up a blue or navy slim solid suit for that price instead like the one shown in line below.

http://www.gq.com/images/style/2012/01/ewan-mcgregor/ewan-mcgregor-02.jpg

I need it for two weddings coming up. One of them will be down in Puerto Rico in April.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Last edited:

blue123

Reaction score
Anyone know where I can get ewan's suit for less than $1,000?

jamesny

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
You can have it replicated with bespoke.

blue123

Reaction score
OK so I have found another navy suit in my price range. I was hoping to find one in a lighter shade of blue, but it is becoming difficult and still keep in my price range. I also a have gift certificate to Nordstrom, thats why I would like to select from their options.

Between the two which should I go for? Both fit me well too....

Hugo Boss
http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/boss-bl...-suit/3080085?origin=category&resultback=4293\

or Joseph Abboud?

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=jose...5&tbnw=101&start=0&ndsp=21&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why are you limiting your options to those with a pretty good budget? If you stick around long enough here you'll learn to get something much nicer for the same price, if not cheaper.

Just a very quick example: here is a 40R Ralph Lauren Black Label, which are slim, closer to a 38/39 and are much nicer than the ones you've shown... and cheaper. It has a subtle pinstripe and it's nice. The seller is actually a member here, angelicboris, so you could talk to him. Not only is it cheaper, it's nicer, made in italy, will be cut more like you like and will look nicer.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NWT-Ralph-L...867810?pt=US_CSA_MC_Suits&hash=item4161c050e2

FYI: you're looking at paying $800 for a suit at retail price that a lot of us on here wouldn't even pay $100 for. You could either take my and others' words on what I've said, you could stick around and learn why and what's better, or you could simply pick either of the two. It's up to you, but it looks like you've taken the step to at least ask here so I'm assuming you're looking for some advice.

Last edited:

blue123

Reaction score
Mainly because I have a gift card and Nordstrom so I am limited to their options. But if you have any suggestions of something worth while that is at same price if not better than I am open to input. I would like a navy or blue suit though. I already have a grey, but my original navy is over 10 years old and falling apart.

blue123

Reaction score
Thanks, thats exactly the input I was looking for. I am not very big on formal wear/suits so any help would be appreciated.

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most importantly, you need to learn what size you really are. A lot of people think they're a bigger size than they really are. You mentioned 38/40. If you want our help determining your size, you can do the following:

Measure your chest
Take a picture of you in a jacket/suit you own
Tell us the size and the make of the jacket in the picture
Measure the jacket's chest, shoulder, length, etc.

All four of those together would be very helpful. However, a chest measurement goes a long way.

Last edited:

blue123

Reaction score
Yup I measured my chest and a tailor recently. I fit perfectly into a 39 Long or a 40 Regular.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads