• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Opinion on 6 x 1 tuxedo

velvel87

Reaction score
Out of curiousity, I am wondering what your opinion is on the 6 x 1 button tuxedo. I realize the popular look is the 6 x 2, but can the 6 x 1 fly as well?

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Double breasted dinner jackets should be button ones. The more classical configuration is to button one show two. The historic reason is that coats that button up higher were less dressy because they were more utilitarian ie it helped keep you warmer. The more formal a coat is, the lower it buttons up - or in the case of a dress coat (evening tailcoat for white tie), it doesn't button up at all, and shows a lot of shirt. It is the men's equivalent of the low cut women's dress for evening wear.

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My tuxedo is a 6x1 . I think it looks great and I prefer it to 6x2 or 4x2.

beau nash

Reaction score
I have a 6x2 dinner suit. I don't like the way I look in a 6x1. Sartor is probably right about the 6x1 being more correct; he usually is on matters historical and sartorial. I just don't like the way I look in any 6x1 jacket. That seems to contradict my dislike of SB dinner jackets cut like suit jackets--2 button or 3 button--but there it is. I wonder if anyone has a 2x1 DB DJ that buttons about where a 6x2 would?

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I prefer 4 X1, omitting the top 2 buttons. I prefer calling it 2X1 also, or 3X1 or 3X2.

I like the buttoning buttons about 3/4 to 1" above the line of the pocket pipes on a 2X1. If it is in line with the pipes it looks too symmetrical/contrived to my eye.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads