• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Opinion of suit

floridasenior

Reaction score
I purchased this suit at Jos Banks on clearance for $100. It is 100 % Tollegno 1900 super 120s wool sharkskin, half canvassed, bemberg lining. Only alterations were sleeves shortened and pants hemmed. It seems to fit pretty well, no collar gap, no shoulder divots, shoulders and lapels lie flat, etc.

Opinions please.
IMG_7956.JPG
IMG_7918.JPG
IMG_7926.JPG
IMG_7943.JPG

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Overall it looks good but from behind it looks like the shoulders need to be taken in a bit. They seem a bit wide.

floridasenior

Reaction score
I should have mentioned in the original post that this suit is from the Reserve collection and is a tailored fit.

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It looks like you have room to close up the waist a bit, which would give it a less boxy silhouette. You want the front to be more of an hourglass shape, drawn in at the waist, which is generally more flattering. Broad shoulders and narrow waist is the ideal masculine form (see: classical Greek sculpture). Even if that's not your actual form, a good suit should "suggest" it.

Obviously there are limits to how much a jacket can “fake it,” especially for guys with a lot of paunch, but that doesn't appear to be your case. On your suit, it looks like there's room to add more shape. This can be seen from the side view; the jacket drops almost straight down from your upper back to the tail; it should ideally curve in more, following the shape of your back, like an "S." Taking in the back seam below the shoulders will do that--and in the process serve to pull in the waist, giving the front more of an hourglass shape. An easy test: If you can put your whole fist between your body and the waist button after eating lunch, the waist is too loose. Fortunately this is perhaps the easiest alteration a tailor can do.

compuccesory

Reaction score
You want the front to be more of an hourglass shape, drawn in at the waist, which is generally more flattering.

That might be what *you* want, but I think that's an issue of style, not fit.

That being said, floridasenior is probably fortunate in that he seems to have a pretty conventional and symmetrical body composition, no uneven shoulders, good posture, no appendages that are unusually long or short or thick (that we can see anyway). He likely would look good in a lot of OTR suits.

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That might be what *you* want, but I think that's an issue of style, not fit.

That being said, floridasenior is probably fortunate in that he seems to have a pretty conventional and symmetrical body composition, no uneven shoulders, good posture, no appendages that are unusually long or short or thick (that we can see anyway). He likely would look good in a lot of OTR suits.
If the jacket waist is blowsy and loose (and I can't be sure), I would not call that a good fit. OTR suits are meant to accommodate a variety of body shapes, including men who mistakenly believe that curtains of fabric will camouflage their fat (see: Donald Trump). As that does not appear to be the case with the OP, why not aim for a smarter, more tailored fit?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I agree with the others that the suit looks very good. From the photos, it just looks like the suit needs to be pressed, especially around the back of the trousers. Really well done.

I personally would not change the shoulder measurement. It's both unnecessary and may screw up the suit.

bicycleradical

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Echoing others, I think the suit looks solid. Good find. Get it pressed and wear it proudly!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads