• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sogg

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Long time reader of the forum.

I have decided that its time that i buy a decent watch, i have been looking at various companies and after considering wat i can and cant afford. I have found a Gucci watch that i really like. Now before spending the money and regretting it after i thought i would post to see peoples opinions of these watches in terms of quality, and style?

Thanks for the help

Deipnosophist

Reaction score
Well it's Gucci, let's be realistic about it. People (read: ignorant people) often think that Armani, Gucci, D&G etc. watches are good due to the expensive nature of the clothes that each of those brands make - it doesn't work like that. I would advise providing us with a budget and we will no doubt be able to find one a lot better for that price than, say, your Gucci one, which is no doubt priced at ten times its value
smile.gif

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Watches are the easy to prove you are paying 95% of the price for the name because the inside of the watch on a Timex and your Gucci are exactly the same, either Quartz or Swiss Made movement.

You can get a $300 Burberry watch that or a $5,000 Louis Vuitton watch and the difference is the name and style. The inside is all Swiss Made.

dshin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a Gucci watch. Its this one but with a silver dial:

movadobaby_1995_85996123

I bought it for just under $900 if I recall correctly. Is it overpriced and I'm just paying for the barnd name? Of course. But I like it, it looks good, and I do get compliments on it.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Gucci watches are probably better thought of as "accessories" that happen to tell time. They are no better than Swatch, Timex, or Seiko in terms of telling time. Serious watch guys would probably never own one. That said though, if they appeal to you and you don't mind spending more than its worth, whatever floats your boat.

samurai

Reaction score
Sogg - You inspired me to join the forum. Thanks for the post.

When it comes to picking a watch, I like to think of it as a long- term investment, no matter what the price range. Quality is important. There is a big difference between a "fashion watch", which are looked down upon by watch enthusiasts, and a "real" watch, made by an established watchmaking company.

Some of the really excellent brands that make watches in the range of about $900.-$1200 and up are Swiss Army, Hamilton, and Fortis. There are many others.

That being said - if you love that Gucci, go for it! Larry.

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Deipnosophist
I'm gonna sit back and watch this comment be proved incorrect
smile.gif

Don't take everything so literally friend, the majority of these two watches are made with Swiss Made technology. I really don't care if someone posts a one-off watch by one of these two companies that doesn't use Swiss Made technology.

dshin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
Gucci watches are probably better thought of as "accessories" that happen to tell time. They are no better than Swatch, Timex, or Seiko in terms of telling time. Serious watch guys would probably never own one. That said though, if they appeal to you and you don't mind spending more than its worth, whatever floats your boat.

Good point on the the "accessory" comment. But in all reality, arent all watches an accesory? Are high end watches that cost thousands...hell even tens of thousands, really better at telling time than a Timex?

I have a Rolex, Tag, Cartier, Hamilton, Zodiac, Sector, Lucien Piccard, Puma, and the aforementioned Gucci. I wear each watch when the occasion calls for it.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dshin
Are high end watches that cost thousands...hell even tens of thousands, really better at telling time than a Timex?
They actually aren't. Even when regulated to the strictest COSC standards, that still means -4 to +6 seconds/day.

Quartz and digital watches are much more accurate; but not nearly as cool*.
smile.gif

But a high end watch isn't just about telling time. We could all use our cell phone for that...

*Oddly enough, I never really understood the fascination with the sweeping hand of a mechanical watch until I got my first one. I just haven't been able to view a ticking watch the same ever since.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dshin
Good point on the the "accessory" comment. But in all reality, arent all watches an accesory? Are high end watches that cost thousands...hell even tens of thousands, really better at telling time than a Timex?

I have a Rolex, Tag, Cartier, Hamilton, Zodiac, Sector, Lucien Piccard, Puma, and the aforementioned Gucci. I wear each watch when the occasion calls for it.

We are in agreement. A Hyundai will also get me to work every day, but would I rather make that drive in a Porsche?

mljones99

Reaction score
Here is mine (not my actual watch but the exact model). I received it as a Christmas present from my mom in either 97 or 98. retail on it was $950. Great watch... just a couple weeks ago I had the battery changed (second battery since I have owned it). I use this as my dress watch... fits nicely under my shirt cuffs.

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Burberry watches are made by Fossil, as are a few other fashion watches from big names like Diesel, DKNY, Emporio Armani, Columbia Sportswear, Frank Gehry, Philippe Starck, Michael Kors, Callaway Golf, Davis Cup, Marc Jacobs and Adidas. You can go to their outlet stores and get these watches for around $50.

Yup, that's Swiss
plain.gif

Gucci isn't, but it's about one step up, and iffy if it even meets the level of the low-end Movado's.

Buy it if you like it, or save your money and buy something better. Chances are, you can find something for about the same price, or slightly more, that you'll enjoy more. Stowa's, Hamilton's, vintage Omega's, etc...

Can a cheap watch tell time the same or better than a more expensive watch. Damn skippy! But that's not why we buy them. By that logic, what am I doing spending so much on clothes? Walmart should have me covered too. Obviously you haven't been paying attention to this site.

justsayno

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
serious watch collectors would prefer seiko over gucci n that price range

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I believe that if you are looking for that particular look or style, then buying Gucci or designer watches are perfectly fine. Sure, your pay for the name but if you think it is worth the look and design it comes with, then it is worth it.

For example, compare a Chanel J12 to a Panerai. The price range is the same but Panerai's movement is most likely far mroe superior but if you like the J12's look better then I don't see anything wrong with it. The same for Gucci. Just like buying a Rolex over an IWC, you get more compliments with the Rolex because it's more popular but the movement in the IWC is much better. If it's the attention or prestige from the general public are what you are looking for, go with the Rolex instead of the IWC, simple as that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads