• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Opinion needed on suit

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Spotted this eBay auction: http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws....8163836 I'm not familiar with Burberry suits as they don't sell them up in northern Ontario. I'm not a big fan of the lapels but the price is nice and it's hard to find good 48L suits on eBay.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Take a pass -- this suit is almost certainly completely fused and stiff as a board. It likely is an older Burberry model, not one of the newer ones which are decently half-fused by Hickey.

topcatny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it's hard to find good 48L suits on eBay.
you are telling me. I have been looking for a sportcoat for 2 months now and I have yet to see any that are decent and a reasonable price.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Are you sure, Johnny? I wish I could see the label in that jacket. There are older "Burberry's" jackets that say "Prorsum" on the label, but the newer Burberry Prorsum is beautiful.

The low rise (isn't 17" really low? that's at most 8.5" in the front) makes me think that it could be from the newer line.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The fact that the auction describes it as "Burberrys" instead of "Burberry" gives me pause -- that's an older model.  Moreover, that button stance is too low to be one of the newer models, which while made by Hickey have a lot of modern styling elements to them (picking, higher button stance, many with double vents).  I also doubt that a consignment shop flipper (which this person undoubtedly is) would come across a newer Burberry model -- people that buy Burberry HF suits are likely younger, and unlikely to suddenly clean out their closet or die.  

I said it is "likely" an older model, which I know from experience are not worth even $75.  They are stiff and very sack like.  There is a chance it is a newer model, but I'd ask to see the tag first to make sure.

Also, the 17.5" rise is incorrect. I assume she was trying to give the front rise, not total rise. A total of 17.5 rise would seriously be like a 7" front rise. Anything under 10" is really not good for a pair of dress pants. Obviously she measured way incorrectly.

Brian SD

Reaction score
The fact that the auction describes it as "Burberrys" instead of "Burberry" gives me pause -- that's an older model. Moreover, that button stance is too low to be one of the newer models, which while made by Hickey have a lot of modern styling elements to them (picking, higher button stance, many with double vents). I also doubt that a consignment shop flipper (which this person undoubtedly is) would come across a newer Burberry model -- people that buy Burberry HF suits are likely younger, and unlikely to suddenly clean out their closet or die.

I said it is "likely" an older model, which I know from experience are not worth even $75. They are stiff and very sack like. There is a chance it is a newer model, but I'd ask to see the tag first to make sure.

Also, the 17.5" rise is incorrect. I assume she was trying to give the front rise, not total rise. A total of 17.5 rise would seriously be like a 7" front rise. Anything under 10" is really not good for a pair of dress pants. Obviously she measured way incorrectly.
Thanks for clarification.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
I would email her and ask for a picture of the interior label(s). That will tell you quite a bit.

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you are telling me. I have been looking for a sportcoat for 2 months now and I have yet to see any that are decent and a reasonable price.
Yeah, I've been on that quest myself of late. Pity I didn't wear zoot suits because that's all I seem to see when searching for 48L, ha ha.

Well, I emailed her and asked for pictures of the inside labels so hopefully we'll learn more shortly.

topcatny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(topcatny @ Feb. 15 2005,16:34) you are telling me. Â I have been looking for a sportcoat for 2 months now and I have yet to see any that are decent and a reasonable price.
Yeah, I've been on that quest myself of late. Pity I didn't wear zoot suits because that's all I seem to see when searching for 48L, ha ha. Well, I emailed her and asked for pictures of the inside labels so hopefully we'll learn more shortly.
I have seen those zoot suits too. What the hell is up with that?

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A rather good question. I realize that at 33 I am no longer wired into the culture as I was just a few short years ago but I still think I would have received notice a long time ago that zoot suits were making a comeback. I mean, if they barely made an impression during the short-lived swing revival of the late 90s (how I miss those days), I can't see them coming back now. I guess someone got screwed into buying them and figured eBay was the place to go to sell them
biggrin.gif

PHV

Reaction score
(gorgekko @ Feb. 15 2005,20:11)
Originally Posted by topcatny,Feb. 15 2005,16:34
you are telling me. Â I have been looking for a sportcoat for 2 months now and I have yet to see any that are decent and a reasonable price.
Yeah, I've been on that quest myself of late. Pity I didn't wear zoot suits because that's all I seem to see when searching for 48L, ha ha. Well, I emailed her and asked for pictures of the inside labels so hopefully we'll learn more shortly.
I have seen those zoot suits too. Â What the hell is up with that?
What is a zoot suit?

Brian SD

Reaction score
generally longer coat, of a bright color, 10+ buttons on the front, wide, peaked lapels.

topcatny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
here is one of the zoot suits we are referring to. zoot suit I particularly like the faux animal stripes on this one.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Oh - get the zoot suit..

Just kidding. I too have noticed that there a several manufacturers currently selling these brand new suits on Ebay. They're all man-made fabrics and I think they are the same suits that you often see in small ethnic stores in LA or New York retailing for about $100. I've even seen a booth carrying these suits at "The Indoor Swap Meet" here in Phoenix.

Bradford

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads