1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Opinion needed on MTM in Toronto

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by wetnose, Feb 22, 2009.

1. wetnose

wetnose Senior member

2. anon

anon Senior member

so you're paying a huge premium for measurements, then getting your shirt done at Jantzen?

3. Heresy

Heresy New Member

I got a suit there, it's pretty good. Takes about 3~4 weeks.

4. UserNameToronto

UserNameToronto Senior member

I'd also like to know what Fifth on King is like.

Trend Custom Tailors and Spiro's on the Danforth do MTM for about $1K, but the work is done here in Canada (which IMO is worth something).

5. thereader

thereader Member

The reporter in the video dress like $%^&, and they can use a better photograher.
    I did some search on toronto tailors I was considering trend tailor but I dont have the cash right now.
    Looking forward to read you experiense there.

6. osc

osc Senior member

Last Updated: April 10 - 12:00PM

**Disclaimer: I am not affiliated in any way whatsoever with any of the shops listed below. As well, all comments made below are personal opinions through my experiences.**

Fifth on King (Sprezzatura) - Yonge/King
    Spiro's SH Custom Tailor - Danforth/Broadview
    Trend Custom Tailors - Sherbourne/Gerrard

7. rssmsvc

rssmsvc Senior member

Hi,

I am thinking of using these guys in Toronto:

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/fi...-hd/3705893854

They do have beautiful fabrics like the Zegna Trofeo, and Revenge 120s. Basically they do the measurements in Toronto, then get guys in Hong Kong to do the work. Then they finish it in Toronto. Prices start at US$800.

This is their facebook album:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...&id=1408947841

What do you guys think?

I always get nervous when I hear the line about how the inside lining of a jacket suddenly makes the jacket more "versatile". I have never understood that, since most likely nobody will ever be looking at your lining how would that in any way make the outside fabric different.

8. Talbina

Talbina Well-Known Member

Can you tell us what is the difference between the $800 book and the $1000 book?

Also, how much was the shirt and what was the fabric?

I scheduled an appointment with Michael last week and ordered an MTM suit + MTM shirt.

First Impressions (Note: these are my personal opinions [​IMG] ):
    Very Clean Store/Shop with an attention to detail and the service was outstanding. They do have a website, although minimal, at: http://www.sprezzatura.ca/

Fabrics and Customization:
    1. They had several books covering everything I could look for in terms of suiting fabrics (for now). At least more than I could definitely handle in my first visit there [​IMG] - Michael had also suggested what to buy and what not to buy for a Navy Suit. He was more focused on providing what I needed most instead of trying to upsell me on fabrics I wouldn't necessarily need or wouldn't fit the occasion I needed the suit for the most (office/client meetings). Their books start from $800 - I ordered from the $1000 book.
    2. They had suggested several different styles and customizations (functional/surgeon's cuffs, lining chioce, interior pockets choice, exterior pockets choice, vents, etc) that would go well with the suit (more than I had expected and definitely more than a Harry Rosen MTM Coppley) - I went with his recommendations as he seemed to be very up to date on the latest trends and fashions.

Measurements:
    1. They performed the standard measurements and took a few camera pictures, as expected.
    2. I tried on several jackets to see what fit best in terms of shoulders/chest, length, waist, etc, as expected.
    3. Fitted on a pair of pants and they did additional measurements on those, as expected.
    4. This was the initial fitting and I do know that you come back and do two more fittings.

Looking Forward to:
    1. Seeing how the suit fits based on their measurements - Was advised it will take approximately 3-4 weeks to be constructed and delivered.
    2. Determine the quality of construction (they are full canvassed, btw)

Will post additional feedback once available...

9. osc

osc Senior member

Can you tell us what is the difference between the $800 book and the $1000 book?

Also, how much was the shirt and what was the fabric?

Shirts:
    They have books starting at $125 (which I didn't really spend time looking at as I found a nice pattern in the second book). The second book is $175 (this is the one I ordered from) - 2ply 100s at minimum, IIRC.

Suits:
    I'm not as technical and knowledge savvy as some of the experts here, but, if I were to make a comparison, the $800 is comparable to Boss fabrics while the $1000 is comparable to Canali fabrics. My suit was Super 130s (104 yarn count-VBC Revenge III). They mentioned that it was ideal for business use in terms of quality and its durability under weekly wear. Super 140s+ ($1200 book), I was told, was more for special occassion use. (Updated as I was provided more information re: suit fabric via email)

When I do go back, I'll make it a point to ask more details about fabric so I can post here.

10. gj555

gj555 Senior member

Why spend $800-$1200 for work done overseas, when you can spend $800-$1200 with 2 fittings for work done in Toronto?

11. Talbina

Talbina Well-Known Member

Why spend $800-$1200 for work done overseas, when you can spend $800-$1200 with 2 fittings for work done in Toronto?
    I saw some pics online of Spiro's suits, and in all honestly they looked boxy too me. http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/f...ad.php?t=44854

12. gj555

gj555 Senior member

Spiros is not the only value MTM in town. This was MTM in Toronto for less than $1,000 and not to boxy.

[​IMG]

13. True North

True North Active Member

I have to throw in a quick plug - I recently got a MTM shirt made by these guys; same thing, they take the measurements here and then ship overseas. They only do shirts. I was skeptical because of the fact that I was getting measured here and the work was getting done by a third party, but the fit turned out amazing, worksmanship was top notch and options given were plentiful.

JamesVII.com

14. gj555

gj555 Senior member

Are the prices in person the same as on the web? Again, $159 for the 2 ply 100s is no different than what can be found at local manufacturers for 2 ply 100s.

15. Albern

Albern Senior member

Second star to the right and straight on 'til morn
    Trend Custom Tailors... MTM for about $1K, but the work is done here in Canada (which IMO is worth something).

Actually just to be clear (and I'm sure you had meant to say), Trend Custom Tailors is set up for full bespoke services. Believe it or not Don Lee will charge anywhere from ~$700 to $2,000 CDN depending on what you want to have done (which was also mentioned here BTW - http://www.trendcustomtailors.com/ac...p?photo=toro01

While I'm not yet a customer of Don's, if the OP is willing to spend a few hundred dollars more I would highly recommend Trend; it's full bespoke, more choices available, 100% made local (less fabrics and other hardware), and considerably fewer CO2 emissions when you take transportation into consideration (if that is ever a concern of yours).

I had a good 20 minute conversation with Don last week, he seems really nice and is willing to spend the time to work with you to identify and create exactly what you are looking for. I believe a small hand full of members on here can further attest to this statement.

Interestingly Don had said that what clients typically commission cost around ~$1,700. I'm going to set up an appointment with him in a few weeks once I get a much better idea of what can be done so I know exactly what I'm looking for - a mini project of mine if you will.

16. osc

osc Senior member

Actually just to be clear (and I'm sure you had meant to say), Trend Custom Tailors is set up for full bespoke services. Believe it or not Don Lee will charge anywhere from ~$700 to $2,000 CDN depending on what you want to have done (which was also mentioned here BTW - http://www.trendcustomtailors.com/ac...p?photo=toro01

While I'm not yet a customer of Don's, if the OP is willing to spend a few hundred dollars more I would highly recommend Trend; it's full bespoke, more choices available, 100% made local (less fabrics and other hardware), and considerably fewer CO2 emissions when you take transportation into consideration (if that is ever a concern of yours).

I had a good 20 minute conversation with Don last week, he seems really nice and is willing to spend the time to work with you to identify and create exactly what you are looking for. I believe a small hand full of members on here can further attest to this statement.

Interestingly Don had said that what clients typically commission cost around ~$1,700. I'm going to set up an appointment with him in a few weeks once I get a much better idea of what can be done so I know exactly what I'm looking for - a mini project of mine if you will.

Let us know how it turns out - It would be interesting to see as there are quite a few options in TO and maybe we can gather a pros/cons of each... [​IMG]

17. UserNameToronto

Thank you so much.

I would like to know more about Trend, as an alternative to Thick as Theives (an LA outfit with a similar supply chain as mentioned previously and a large positive following on this board). TaT would run $480 + shipping x 1.25 exchange rate = ~$625. If Trend clocks in at under $1K I think it's a no brainer to stay local.

18. gj555

gj555 Senior member

Not to get into the debate but it really depends on how you define bespoke. I once had a tailor that claimed that there were no real bespoke tailors left in Toronto (regardless how the various "bespoke" and "custom" shops bill themselves). When I asked to clarify, he indicated he did not know of a single tailor in Toronto that did not start off with a standard paper block pattern during cutting and most use quite a bit of sewing machine to save costs.

Other tailors, tailoring houses or mini manufacturers you may be able to find good value at for MTM in Toronto suits include Spiros, Balfour, Aquarius and Raji's (the suit in my post above).

19. UserNameToronto

Not to get into the debate but it really depends on how you define bespoke. I once had a tailor that claimed that there were no real bespoke tailors left in Toronto (regardless how the various "bespoke" and "custom" shops bill themselves). When I asked to clarify, he indicated he did not know of a single tailor in Toronto that did not start off with a standard paper block pattern during cutting and most use quite a bit of sewing machine to save costs.

Other tailors, tailoring houses or mini manufacturers you may be able to find good value at for MTM in Toronto suits include Spiros, Balfour, Aquarius and Raji's (the suit in my post above).

Which place was your suit from - Raji's? Who/where and what is the process/cost like?

20. gj555

gj555 Senior member

Which place was your suit from - Raji's? Who/where and what is the process/cost like?

Process is like most MTM tailors in the city. Choose fabric and get measured. Go for fitting. Go back to pick up suit and try on. Price depends on construction and fabric. For construction he will do anything from a mix of fusing and canvas to all canvass and hand sewn button holes. Fabrics in stock are much less than from books. Prices are competitive - expect in stock cloth to be under $1000.

Edit: I should add that the jacket and pants are made all onsite.