• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Opinion: Is the RLBL Anthony suit suitable for business attire?

Haruspex

Reaction score
Need to buy, in a hurry, an OTR slim fitting suit. I'm a creative, but don't wish to be inappropriate in the various corporate milieus I'm found in. Have a MTM Samuelsohn that didn't turn out so well (pre-SF) and an Isaia navy pinstripe which is nice, but perhaps not the thing for interviews and presentations.

Since I'm slim, tall and broad-shouldered, the RLBL Anthony suit looks appealing. The BB Fitzgerald is another option. Both are on sale, but that's not relevant to getting it right, so please offer your expertise!

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a younger guy who is also slim and tall. In my opinion, the RLBL suit is just fine.

But, ymmv.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't see how you could go wrong with either. In my opinion, the RLBL is a better made suit (also more expensive) and the BB Fitz is more conservative, but still a well-made suit. If you are quite slim, you may need to have the BB taken in a bit.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
As long as you pair it with fairly conservative accessories, there's nothing inherent in Black Label that makes it unsuitable for interviewing/business meeting/etc. It's marginally more "stylised" than some other more generic suits but to 99% of people out there, provided the suit fits you/your build, that will just come across as "well-dressed" not "vain fashion maven".
smile.gif

I rather think people worry a little too much about standing out because of being well dressed. As long as you're a decent sort of person in your interactions with others, dressing well nicely accentuates your overall impression on others I find.

PartagasIV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm tryin to pick up an Anthony tux this weekend, I'm assuming it's the same fit as the suits..

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PartagasIV
I'm tryin to pick up an Anthony tux this weekend, I'm assuming it's the same fit as the suits..

personally i don't like the notch lapel of the tux. rather get a notch lapel black suit instead of a notch lapel tux.

Haruspex

Reaction score
Sweet. Thank you all for the helpful insight.

sartort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haruspex. I have both and prefer my RLBLs. The BB Fitz was my first nice suit and I've gone onto purchase 4 RLBLs since then. You can't go wrong with either but I feel that the RLBL Anthony suitis a better made, better cut suit. The Fitz is a little more conservative if it's really an issue. But I don't think the RLBL is going to offend anyone.

Partagas IV, the RLBL tux is the same cut as the suits. I tried one on at the Chicago store last year. It is very very nice. I love how the grograin facing turns inside and creates a nice edge detail below the button. Most, if not all tuxes do this, but I haven't noticed this touch as being as prominent as it is on the RLBL. Perhaps it's the way the lapels roll into the button as well as the quarters having a bit of roll or flare below the button which shows the back facing more.

But I digress. It is very nice but the deal breaker is the notch. If it was a peak lapel, it would be near perfection (for me). I have a very nice Midnight Blue Polo tux with peak lapel and like it more for this reason. It is more timeless/classic and can be used for years to come. It is cut quite trim through the body, but the arms are just a little more full than my RLBL jackets.

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
HF hit it on the head. I'm still in the market for a BL myself, but nothing I've seen live or even in photos suggest they are unsuitable for what I think you're after.

Bumble_Bee

Reaction score
In a way, does it not depend on your level/section in the corporate world, meaning entry to mid level or lots of customer service to a little bit more over in the management side? I am not that familiar with it as outsider, but I can picture RLBL being fine for people at the entry level or meets a lot of client as they need to have a little bit of a pimp style anyway. Where as mid levels might involve more management and a more conservative cut than the "flashiness" seen in RLBL.

Of course, regardless of the style one has to look good and comfortable in his suit.

Haruspex

Reaction score
Went down to Lenox and got the Anthony in charcoal. A little unnerved by the tailor on site -- he was brusque and indifferent at first, but I kept asking questions and making sure the fit was precise, and he eventually relaxed a bit. The jacket was nearly perfect, but the pants require major surgery, so we'll see how that goes.

Also purchased some captoes in brown; the sale made them irresistible.

Again, thank you for the advice.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Holdfast
As long as you pair it with fairly conservative accessories, there's nothing inherent in Black Label that makes it unsuitable for interviewing/business meeting/etc. It's marginally more "stylised" than some other more generic suits but to 99% of people out there, provided the suit fits you/your build, that will just come across as "well-dressed" not "vain fashion maven".
smile.gif
I rather think people worry a little too much about standing out because of being well dressed. As long as you're a decent sort of person in your interactions with others, dressing well nicely accentuates your overall impression on others I find.

I agree, i recently did a presentation wearing RLBL Anthony in Navy Pinstripes. Paired with a purple stripe shirt with a contrast collar and french cuffs. light blue linen pocket square (TV fold), i also did the pen in the breast pocket with a very show-off-ish pen. Navy Pindot tie, and two tone tie bar. Brown Ferragamo shoes with heavy antiquing. I did it in such a way that it was intentionally over the top, but i also like to laugh at myself sometimes and having such an over the top look helps sometimes. I wouldnt interview in the suit, however i would certainly do a business meeting in the suit, infact i regularly attend Chamber of Commerce networking events in my RLBL. I would wear RL Polo for interviews. Unless of course i were interviewing for a Financial sales position, then i wouldnt be shy on showing up in RLBL

PartagasIV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vitaminc
personally i don't like the notch lapel of the tux. rather get a notch lapel black suit instead of a notch lapel tux.

I feel the same way about the notch vs. peak--but given the sale price and relative quality, I am willing to look the other way for a tux I can wear for the next 10 years until I can have one made. I don't want to be swimming around in a BB tux nor get something a little cheaper like a J.Crew tux...do you have any suggestions about a RLBL-like fit in a tux for around the same price, with peak lapels?

Bumble_Bee

Reaction score
Originally Posted by PartagasIV
I feel the same way about the notch vs. peak--but given the sale price and relative quality, I am willing to look the other way for a tux I can wear for the next 10 years until I can have one made. I don't want to be swimming around in a BB tux nor get something a little cheaper like a J.Crew tux...do you have any suggestions about a RLBL-like fit in a tux for around the same price, with peak lapels?

bespoke

PartagasIV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
$1k bespoke tux? Show me where and I'll sign up

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads