• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Operating with a baggy knee. .

nastyandy

Reaction score
This problem may have been addressed before back in the days of dry denim pioneering, but after a little searching to no avail I've decided to bring it up.

I have noticed in some of my jeans, especially in my RRL slim bootfits, that the knee area is stretching and getting baggy. From the front it doesn't bother me, but from my profile it makes the silouhette of my upper leg look like the legs of one of those fat people in the special clinics that they have discovery channel documentaries about.

I've had my RRLs for 2 or 3 months and maybe worn them 20x at the most, so I don't want to wash them yet.

Would it help (or hurt) if I iron them? Any easy fixes for this?

Brian SD

Reaction score
Nah, just let the knee stretch out more. Over time it will get so worn down that it just kind of flops over instead of bulges out. Baggy knee is an unavoidable quality of denim. Even the pre-distressed stuff has this problem after a couple wearings, it's just less obvious cause they aren't as stiff.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Are baggy knees ****?
devil.gif
I actually like having my knees bulge out a bit. It tells me what I'm wearing is quality and now use it as an indication as to what other people are wearing.

nastyandy

Reaction score
Well, to be honest, I never noticed it (or it never bothered me) until I was reading the recent "Esquire Black Book," wherein there is a guide to how many wears you should subject garments to.

On jeans, they said something like 5-10+ unless the knee becomes baggy. This had never occurred to me, and suddenly I realized my knees were baggy.

Maybe I'll just keep telling myself I'm a jeans snob or something and secretely pride myself on my knee boners
laugh.gif

Reaction score
If your that concerned hang them up and use the steam function on your iron or if you have access to a garment steamer use that.

ardeetee

Reaction score
this bothered me as well since mine were really stretched out after I did a cold soak and wore them damp. I fixed it by just letting it dry and then spraying water on the knees only. after they dried, the knees shrank down to an acceptable level.

smw356

Reaction score
on my rrl bootcuts if I just hang em for a week or so w/o any wear the knees come back in on thier own a bit. Though granted I don't really wear my rrls with a whole lot of frequency anymore (maybe 1-2 days a week) so that might have something to do with it.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by theantihipster
If your that concerned hang them up and use the steam function on your iron or if you have access to a garment steamer use that.

I'd like to point out that I don't really give a **** about baggy knees and that they flatten out a bit as you wear them. Also the bagginess seems to help with the atari on the sides of the knees.

Just something to think about for good fadezzz
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
:carlfist:

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
run your steam iron over the knees. that brings them back to square one.
takes 30 seconds just before you put them on each time.
a wider leg, less bag.

nastyandy

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for all of the suggestions, I am going to give the steam iron a shot and see how sexy my knee profile becomes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads