Opera Pumps - What's the Deal?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Augusto86, May 10, 2007.

1. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

Yes I can certainly see what you mean. If your manhood is so fragile that it can be threatened by a pair of shoes that men have worn for centuries, then it's possible you might in fact be gay. You should probably steer well clear of these.

Did you open up a whole new account just to defend the honor of opera pumps?

2. Augusto86

Augusto86 Sean Penn's Mexican love child

Did you open up a whole new account just to defend the honor of opera pumps?

It has a lovely 19th century feel, to it though...[​IMG]

3. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Lifestyle change - no homo

So let me get this straight you walk around dressed up like it's the 19th century and think you look good?!?!?

So let me get this straight, you think that the only appropriate time to wear a tuxedo is in the 19th Century? I don't think anyone's talking about "walking around dressed up like it's the 19th century".

You made the bold statement questioning the manhood of anyone who wore opera pumps. I merely suggested that if your manhood is that fragile then it's something you should probably avoid. As far as I know no one (except for perhaps Sator) is suggesting a return to the frock coat. But this is not the same thing.

4. Augusto86

So let me get this straight, you think that the only appropriate time to wear a tuxedo is in the 19th Century? I don't think anyone's talking about "walking around dressed up like it's the 19th century".

You made the bold statement questioning the manhood of anyone who wore opera pumps. I merely suggested that if your manhood is that fragile then it's something you should probably avoid. As far as I know no one (except for perhaps Sator) is suggesting a return to the frock coat. But this is not the same thing.

You're right...it's much, much sillier.

5. Countertenor

Countertenor Senior member

Where's Sator?

Come to think of it, probably sleeping. [​IMG]

6. Anthony Jordan

Anthony Jordan Senior member

7. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

I may be wrong, Anthony, but I believe white tie traditionally calls for lace-up shoes, and pumps are generally regarded as black-tie shoes. Not that I'm dictating what one should wear (I don't much care), just pointing it out.

8. Anthony Jordan

Teach, my understanding is that it is the other way round, but that one can now wear either with either (if you follow me); I see the hierarchy of formality shoe-wise starting with buckled court shoes at the top (were these still to be worn), with opera pumps following, then plain Oxfords (no toe-cap), and so on down the chain.

9. Tarmac

Tarmac Senior member

10. Anthony Jordan

To add - I've consulted the only sources readily to hand and Boyer ("Elegance") gives pumps as going with white tie (with plain-toe Oxfords as an additional choice), Flusser "Dressing the Man", doesn't commit himself, but does date the general appearance in dress circles of the Oxford to 1930 (but I have some doubts about this - see below.) Finally, whilst "Dress Worn at Court" (1912) concerns itself with ceremonial uniform rather than ordinary formalwear, it does give the following as accompanying evening dress for members of the Royal Household:

"SHOES. - Plain Court with bows, no buckles. Boots or shoes optional with trousers."

I think this is essentially describing the opera pump as we know it today.

11. Augusto86

Why can't we just wear Oxford boots. Sator posted a pic the other day and they look amazing. I would happily wear some everyday.

It's just the bow. If not for that it would just be a low-pro loafer. But BOWS. Bows are for women. Would you wear a dress? A bra? A bow? It's the same thing.

12. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Do you prefer the bow to be pinched or unpinched?

13. Tarmac

Tarmac Senior member

it just has to do with tradition. I find it curious but not necessarily offensive. I probably wouldnt do it. But heck, maybe I might... I wouldnt have been caught dead in chelsea boots as recently as 2 years ago.

14. Sartorian

Sartorian Senior member

It's just the bow. If not for that it would just be a low-pro loafer. But BOWS. Bows are for women. Would you wear a dress? A bra? A bow? It's the same thing.
    Don't you tie your shoes with a bow? What about [​IMG]s? And don't forget bows are for clowns, too.

15. A Y

A Y Senior member

I think you're just trying to be difficult now, but just in case not, make sure you wear that long-tie the next time you wear your tux if you think bows are so inappropriate for a man.

--Andre