• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Opera pumps or slippers

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay, the tux is purchased (HSM, SB, peak lapel, one button, no vents, with vest) and now I am worrying about the other bits.

Where can I actually find opera pumps (preferrably) or appropriate slippers for less than the $695 wanted by RL for their very cool skull slippers? Skulls not required, btw.
smile.gif

I really don't seem to be having much luck but probably don't know exactly where to look.

bob

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brooks Brothers has two models of patent leather pumps at reasonable prices. I have the one with the pinched bow (as opposed to the one with the squarish bow). Make sure you have time to break it in.

--Andre

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was looking into EG Opera Pumps, but then I decided to hold off because A) They're $4000 since I need bespoke B) Apparently my feet are still growing.

Before I had a pair of Ferregamo, and before that when I didn't know better I just used to wear Gucci loafers with my tux.

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Violinist
I was looking into EG Opera Pumps, but then I decided to hold off because A) They're $4000 since I need bespoke B) Apparently my feet are still growing.

Before I had a pair of Ferregamo, and before that when I didn't know better I just used to wear Gucci loafers with my tux.

When did Tony start asking $4,000 for pumps? They are slippers, so they're not welted soles. I haven't needed any for years but believe MTO EGs are a little less than the RL version, and bespoke is about $2k.

A pair of black patent oxfords is probably more useful in the United States, and they look great if you can find a pair of silk laces for them. They should be around for no more than $400.

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Will
When did Tony start asking $4,000 for pumps? They are slippers, so they're not welted soles. I haven't needed any for years but believe MTO EGs are a little less than the RL version, and bespoke is about $2k.

A pair of black patent oxfords is probably more useful in the United States, and they look great if you can find a pair of silk laces for them. They should be around for no more than $400.

since they told me that at L'Uomo in Montreal.

Tuerney1

Reaction score
I found a nice pair of black velvet slippers at Neiman Marcus two years ago. They were on sale for around $100 (not sure what the retail price was). Not sure of the maker (handmade in England on the sole was it), but they were very nice for the price. You might want to call them, as they might be more economical than RLPL.
smile.gif

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

summej2

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nantucket Red
I'd go with the Moreschi calf opera pumps. They're much more understated than patent leather.

Those (the Grant model) would be my recommendation also; Moreschis are great dancing shoes and, for this model, fairly priced. I believe AE makes an opera pump also, but the scale may be too large to be elegant.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Violinist
since they told me that at L'Uomo in Montreal.

They mark-up EG way more than is reasonable. They told me bespoke Lobbs were 7k and EGs were 4k.

I was feeling impulsive a couple weeks ago and was gonna buy a pair but I got sticker-shock and re-evaluated. I'm not paying 1500 for something that's 1k in NY.

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
They mark-up EG way more than is reasonable. They told me bespoke Lobbs were 7k and EGs were 4k.

I was feeling impulsive a couple weeks ago and was gonna buy a pair but I got sticker-shock and re-evaluated. I'm not paying 1500 for something that's 1k in NY.

I think pretty much all MTL prices are marsupialed. About 2 doors down from L'Uomo, my mom and dad bought sunglasses from the place I like in this city... oliver people's and cartier sunglasses cost them probably 30% more than had they waited, but even though I tried convincing them they could get them cheaper, they just went ahead and spent the money. I think retailers here sort of rely on such an uninformed customer who couldn't be bothered or is too ignorant for bargain hunting.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads