• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Opera pumps or slippers

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Joined
Feb 22, 2005
Messages
4,226
Reaction score
3
Okay, the tux is purchased (HSM, SB, peak lapel, one button, no vents, with vest) and now I am worrying about the other bits.

Where can I actually find opera pumps (preferrably) or appropriate slippers for less than the $695 wanted by RL for their very cool skull slippers? Skulls not required, btw.


I really don't seem to be having much luck but probably don't know exactly where to look.


bob
 

A Y

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 12, 2006
Messages
5,726
Reaction score
537
Brooks Brothers has two models of patent leather pumps at reasonable prices. I have the one with the pinched bow (as opposed to the one with the squarish bow). Make sure you have time to break it in.

--Andre
 

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Joined
May 12, 2006
Messages
1,907
Reaction score
0
I was looking into EG Opera Pumps, but then I decided to hold off because A) They're $4000 since I need bespoke B) Apparently my feet are still growing.

Before I had a pair of Ferregamo, and before that when I didn't know better I just used to wear Gucci loafers with my tux.
 

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Jun 15, 2004
Messages
3,144
Reaction score
44
Originally Posted by Violinist
I was looking into EG Opera Pumps, but then I decided to hold off because A) They're $4000 since I need bespoke B) Apparently my feet are still growing.

Before I had a pair of Ferregamo, and before that when I didn't know better I just used to wear Gucci loafers with my tux.


When did Tony start asking $4,000 for pumps? They are slippers, so they're not welted soles. I haven't needed any for years but believe MTO EGs are a little less than the RL version, and bespoke is about $2k.

A pair of black patent oxfords is probably more useful in the United States, and they look great if you can find a pair of silk laces for them. They should be around for no more than $400.
 

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Joined
May 12, 2006
Messages
1,907
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by Will
When did Tony start asking $4,000 for pumps? They are slippers, so they're not welted soles. I haven't needed any for years but believe MTO EGs are a little less than the RL version, and bespoke is about $2k.

A pair of black patent oxfords is probably more useful in the United States, and they look great if you can find a pair of silk laces for them. They should be around for no more than $400.


since they told me that at L'Uomo in Montreal.
 

Tuerney1

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 24, 2005
Messages
87
Reaction score
0
I found a nice pair of black velvet slippers at Neiman Marcus two years ago. They were on sale for around $100 (not sure what the retail price was). Not sure of the maker (handmade in England on the sole was it), but they were very nice for the price. You might want to call them, as they might be more economical than RLPL.
 

jml90

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 10, 2006
Messages
1,595
Reaction score
0

summej2

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 20, 2006
Messages
589
Reaction score
2
Originally Posted by Nantucket Red
I'd go with the Moreschi calf opera pumps. They're much more understated than patent leather.

Those (the Grant model) would be my recommendation also; Moreschis are great dancing shoes and, for this model, fairly priced. I believe AE makes an opera pump also, but the scale may be too large to be elegant.
 

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Mar 4, 2002
Messages
17,933
Reaction score
83
Originally Posted by Violinist
since they told me that at L'Uomo in Montreal.

They mark-up EG way more than is reasonable. They told me bespoke Lobbs were 7k and EGs were 4k.

I was feeling impulsive a couple weeks ago and was gonna buy a pair but I got sticker-shock and re-evaluated. I'm not paying 1500 for something that's 1k in NY.
 

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Joined
May 12, 2006
Messages
1,907
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by GQgeek
They mark-up EG way more than is reasonable. They told me bespoke Lobbs were 7k and EGs were 4k.

I was feeling impulsive a couple weeks ago and was gonna buy a pair but I got sticker-shock and re-evaluated. I'm not paying 1500 for something that's 1k in NY.



I think pretty much all MTL prices are retarded. About 2 doors down from L'Uomo, my mom and dad bought sunglasses from the place I like in this city... oliver people's and cartier sunglasses cost them probably 30% more than had they waited, but even though I tried convincing them they could get them cheaper, they just went ahead and spent the money. I think retailers here sort of rely on such an uninformed customer who couldn't be bothered or is too ignorant for bargain hunting.
 

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

  • Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

  • Loafers

  • Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

  • Monk strap shoes

  • Oxford / Derby shoes

  • Sneakers


Results are only viewable after voting.

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
426,162
Messages
9,166,728
Members
192,551
Latest member
candinogroup

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Top