• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Opening a bottle of Champagne. Instructional.

cuffthis

Reaction score
A simple bit of satire and sarcasm on my part, meant as humor.

Relax, have some good bubbles and move on.

Cheers.

Originally Posted by dkzzzz

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Screw that. Remove the wire thing, shake the sum-a-***** up and watch the cap fly. Bonus points if you hit the restaurant owner with it.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't know why, but I picked up the habbit of using a tea towel or a heavy napkin in the hand that holds the cork. aside from that, pretty much the same as mentioned. nobody else?

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
A tea towel gives better grip. Also, rotating the bottle while holding the cork stationary gives finer control over the speed of the operation.

cuffthis

Reaction score
I gotta disagree with this. Much less shaking when you hold the bottle stationary and ease the cork out with your thumb and index finger.

I open about a dozen Champagne and other sparkling wines a day this way. Trust me, it works.

Originally Posted by Concordia
Rotating the bottle while holding the cork stationary gives finer control over the speed of the operation.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cuffthis
I gotta disagree with this. Much less shaking when you hold the bottle stationary and ease the cork out with your thumb and index finger.

I open about a dozen Champagne and other sparkling wines a day this way. Trust me, it works.

Practice makes perfect.

In my imperfect world, a cork that is really jammed in is one I am not anxious to dislodge with two fingers. So when I get a nasty one, I hold on tight and twist the bottle. Prevents the worst catastrophes.

JeffC

Reaction score

By "easing the cork out," do you mean twist back and forth? If so, there would be less shaking with one smooth twist of the bottle.

cuffthis

Reaction score
I have found that if you loosen the safety wire and then use your thumb and forefinger to lightly push up on the cork, it will gradually and slowly (and safely) come out, with little or no noise (and no spillage). The key is to hold the bottle still while you do this.

Everyone wants to hold the cork still and turn the bottle. This CAN work but it often results in a loud pop, spillage, or in a worst case scenario, an airborne cork. Holding the bottle still takes a couple tries but it really results in a much more elegant and safe opening, IMHO.

Originally Posted by JeffC
By "easing the cork out," do you mean twist back and forth? If so, there would be less shaking with one smooth twist of the bottle.

Mr. Checks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have found that if you loosen the safety wire and then use your thumb and forefinger to lightly push up on the cork, it will gradually and slowly (and safely) come out, with little or no noise (and no spillage). The key is to hold the bottle still while you do this.

Everyone wants to hold the cork still and turn the bottle. This CAN work but it often results in a loud pop, spillage, or in a worst case scenario, an airborne cork. Holding the bottle still takes a couple tries but it really results in a much more elegant and safe opening, IMHO.

It's good to be careful.
I once represented the Portuguese concern that makes much of the world's cork for, you guessed it, putting someone's eye out.
"Funny" in the abstract, quite gross in reality.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Have they made synthetic corks for sparkling wines yet?

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Checks
It's good to be careful.
I once represented the Portuguese concern that makes much of the world's cork for, you guessed it, putting someone's eye out.
"Funny" in the abstract, quite gross in reality.

GT's suggestion of placing a (nice) dishtowel over the top immediately after the safety cage is removed is a good one. No blinded eyes/shattered light fixtures/etc.
smile.gif

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
About 4 mins ago I used a meat cleaver and it was flawless.
teacha.gif

Happy new year.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads