1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Opening a bottle of Champagne. Instructional.

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by dkzzzz, Dec 21, 2006.

1. dkzzzz

dkzzzz Senior member

With a New Year's Eve approaching please post your best Champagne-opening techniques.

Here is mine:
    It works 100% of the time.

Remove metal wire cap from the chilled bottle of Champagne. Tilt it 45 degrees. Twist the bottle to let the cork loose and then pull the cork with a light twisting motion out of the bottle with a loud bang and no foam spilled. [​IMG]

Please note that all silent opening techniques would be disqualified.

2. lefty

lefty Senior member

Chill champagne.

Find the seam on the bottle.

Pull out sabre.

Place sabre perpendicular to seam and (optional) begin to move rapidly back and forth along the seam until you pick up speed.

With one sharp move--more of a wrist flick really--quickly slide sabre along seam to lip.

Watch lip snap cleanly off, then straighten bottle as champagne fountains out.

Begin to fill glasses.

Toast, then go and finish the deal with that girl you've been flirting with all night.

Thank me later.

lefty

3. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike Senior member

Chill champagne. Find the seam on the bottle. Pull out sabre. Place sabre perpendicular to seam and (optional) begin to move rapidly back and forth along the seam until you pick up speed. With one sharp move--more of a wrist flick really--quickly slide sabre along seam to lip. Watch lip snap cleanly off, then straighten bottle as champagne fountains out. Begin to fill glasses. Toast, then go and finish the deal with that girl you've been flirting with all night. Thank me later. lefty
    And for that, you need a briquet-type sabre, with a fairly heavy blade: [​IMG]

4. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Will this work if you are right-handed or do you need to be a southpaw?

5. denimdestroyedmylife

denimdestroyedmylife Senior member

aren't you supposed to:

smash bottle on a ship
    put the glasses into pillowcase and stomp
    throw into fire?

6. cuffthis

cuffthis Senior member

This technique will get you severly reprimanded (and possibly terminated) at my place.

Never, ever remove the safety before opening. Why do think it's there? Loosen it to open, but not remove. And while we are at it, turn the cork, not the bottle, results in less bottle shaking.

Loud pops are for amateurs who only open bottles on New Year's Eve. We strive for a simple "ffhhhh" when opening bottles of Champagne and other sparkling wines. Someone (not me) described the proper sound as a Debutaunte farting in her prom dress. [​IMG]

With a New Year's Eve approaching please post your best Champagne-opening techniques.

Here is mine:
    It works 100% of the time.

Remove metal wire cap from the chilled bottle of Champagne. Tilt it 45 degrees. Twist the bottle to let the cork loose and then pull the cork with a light twisting motion out of the bottle with a loud bang and no foam spilled. [​IMG]

Please note that all silent opening techniques would be disqualified.

7. dkzzzz

dkzzzz Senior member

This technique will get you severly reprimanded (and possibly terminated) at my place.

** Tom honestly come down, I am not one of your waiters.

Never, ever remove the safety before opening. Why do think it's there? Loosen it to open, but not remove. And while we are at it, turn the cork, not the bottle, results in less bottle shaking.

**Wire-net is there to prevent corck from self-extracting. It has nothing to do with opening safety.

Loud pops are for amateurs who only open bottles on New Year's Eve. We strive for a simple "ffhhhh" when opening bottles of Champagne and other sparkling wines. Someone (not me) described the proper sound as a Debutaunte farting in her prom dress. [​IMG]

** Tom, who are Champagne professionals? Waiters at your restaurant? Champagne is for celebration and debauchery not for quiet farts at the table full of old farts.

8. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Real men open bottles with their teeth.

9. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

Acually, the John Steed method has a certain elegance. Or maybe it's just Emma Peel by osmosis.

~ Huntsman

10. Stu

Stu Senior member

Actually Real men don't drink champagne. They drink bourbon.

11. JBZ

JBZ Senior member

[​IMG] [​IMG]

12. whodini

whodini Senior member

Cuffthis is dead on and I always strive for the same. What good is champagne if half of it is soaking in the carpet?

13. whodini

whodini Senior member

You clearly have never visited a strip club's back room before...

14. dkzzzz

dkzzzz Senior member

Cuffthis is dead on and I always strive for the same. What good is champagne if half of it is soaking in the carpet?

You see., when you tip a bottle of Champagne 45 degrees while opening it (scary proposition for most uninitiated) you increase a liquid surface 10 fold, thus preventing it from foaming and extracting itself from the bottle in a form of a foamy fountain. If Champagne is not shaken by your enemies and properly chilled you would not spill a drop.

You welcome.
    Use it wisely.[​IMG]

15. whodini

whodini Senior member

You see., when you tip a bottle of Champagne 45 degrees while opening it (scary proposition for most uninitiated) you increase a liquid surface 10 fold, thus preventing it from foaming and extracting itself from the bottle in a form of a foamy fountain. If Champagne is not shaken by your enemies and properly chilled you would not spill a drop.

You welcome.
    Use it wisely.[​IMG]

That's all said and good, but I prefer a slower, near-silent twisting of the cork just before I pour it all over the naked body of some girl named "Sparkle."

16. Stu

Stu Senior member

You clearly have never visited a strip club's back room before...

I'm not sure whether to be ashamed or proud about that.

17. cuffthis

cuffthis Senior member

A simple bit of satire and sarcasm on my part, meant as humor.

Relax, have some good bubbles and move on.

Cheers.

18. whodini

whodini Senior member

I'm not sure whether to be ashamed or proud about that.
    Ashamed=never met Sparkle, proud=met Candy.

19. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

Screw that. Remove the wire thing, shake the sum-a-bitch up and watch the cap fly. Bonus points if you hit the restaurant owner with it.

20. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

I don't know why, but I picked up the habbit of using a tea towel or a heavy napkin in the hand that holds the cork. aside from that, pretty much the same as mentioned. nobody else?