open toe sandals recommendations? - backpacking in southeast asia

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by lespauldude, Jun 25, 2013.

1. lespauldude

lespauldude Member

My first time backpacking, and I'll be in relatively hot/humid countries in southeast asia. I thought I'd go for some close or open toed sandals to keep cool. These will probably be the only pair of footwear that I bring. I have heard that Teva's are popular, but the quality is going south. I want something that will take a beating and last.

• Any thoughts on Clarks? or other brands? Thanks.

• Open toe vs. closed toe sandals? I'll probably be going to a lot of beaches and on sandy trails. Not sure if the closed toe helps or just collects sand.

• Leather or fabric?

Not exactly going for style points here, but practicality and durability ;)

Last edited: Jun 30, 2013

2. Nabad

Nabad New Member

Having lived in Southeast Asia for a year, I found it best to just buy a cheap pair of sandals there -- they are sold everywhere. If they wear out or break, buy a new pair. I preferred the simplest models (which were also the cheapest) because they let my foot breathe the most.

Closed toed sandals will probably become very gross very quickly.

3. lespauldude

lespauldude Member

Good idea. I'm guessing they're super cheap. Can you get Teva style sandals too?

4. Nabad

Nabad New Member

In the local street markets Tevas might be hard to find, but there are big shopping malls all over Southeast Asia -- every major city will have a few huge ones -- and you will find anything you find in the US/west there. I was living in Indonesia (and traveled around Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, and Myanmar) and I was surprised at how plentiful big shopping malls were (and replete with western stores to boot). The exception being Myanmar, but I think that is changing swiftly post-reforms.

And, yes, they will generally be cheaper -- in local markets much cheaper to the extreme.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2013

5. hoodyear

hoodyear Senior member

6. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

having lived in se asia all my life, I couldn't bear the thought of wearing open sandals, flip flops and the likes the whole time here. specially during monsoon season. its just gross.

7. Distorbiant

Distorbiant Senior member

8. lespauldude

lespauldude Member

I'd have to disagree with that. I wore only flip flops in Taiwan for a summer, during one of the worst monsoons. Despite all the rain, and the flip flops being wet all the time, I much preferred their freedom of not having to carefully watch where I stepped compared to shoes. Also, the relief from the heat and not having soggy shoes from sweaty feet was...just great.

However, I didn't like how my toe straps took forever to dry off. The leather material wasn't good for that, whereas the rubber soles of the sandals dried off quickly. I would guess fabric would be a better choice for the toe straps and hard(er) rubber probably the best for the soles.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2013