• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Open Letter To J.Crew RE: The discontinuation of Med/Tall size combo

Bostonian

Reaction score
I was planning on popping this in the mail this week. Am I alone in my frustration/disappointment?

>>J.Crew Customer Relations
One Ivy Crescent
Lynchburg, VA 24513-1001

To Whom It May Concern,

I am writing in response to your company's decision to discontinue all medium tall sized shirts in this current season's collection. I am very disappointed, as I had always shopped at J. Crew specifically because of the stylish fit and tailored look that this alternative size provided. I own dozens of your Polos, Tees and Waffle knits in long and shorts sleeve. I consider these items to be the cornerstone of my casual wardrobe.

I am disheartened that your policy decisions are gravitating more towards the generic, ill-fitting offerings of less fashionable retailers while your competitors such as The Gap, Banana Republic, and American Apparel are trending the other way towards slim, clean fitting, fashion conscious clothing.

A very sad day, indeed. Please tell me that this decision isn't permanent. <<

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You should add "I regret that I will not be buying any more shirts from J. Crew in the future."

Clothing retailers are dumb beasts, their customer service guys even more so, and if you don't bluntly hit them where it hurts they'll read it and say "blah blah blah, some longwinded bellyaching." Make it clear why this is a bad move for them not just for you.

Hard2Fit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1.
I'm a M/T.
If I shopped more at J.Crew I'd be very disappointed.
Right now I'm mildly annoyed.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
While its well intended, and makes a good point; unsolicited mail will most likely be shuffled around and then eventually discarded.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
P.S. - I'm part of a very influential sect known only as The SF. Heed my command or face the consequences.

brimley

Reaction score
If they had ever offered their sweaters or button downs in M-T I would own approximately three times as much j crew.

FYI, the Sutherland wool-cashmere coat is offered in M-T (although the herringbone version is not).

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Damn this ******* sucks.

June

Reaction score
Man aren't J.Crew shirts really long to begin with?

Bam!ChairDance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At least, as a medium, you have the power to size down. Size smalls like me tend to lack that luxury.

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't recall J. Crew ever making MT. I have a bunch of MTs from Banana, but have never seen J. Crew offer them. Did I miss something?

givemefive

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bostonian
I was planning on popping this in the mail this week. Am I alone in my frustration/disappointment?

>>J.Crew Customer Relations
One Ivy Crescent
Lynchburg, VA 24513-1001

To Whom It May Concern,

I am writing in response to your company's decision to discontinue all medium tall sized shirts in this current season's collection. I am very disappointed, as I had always shopped at J. Crew specifically because of the stylish fit and tailored look that this alternative size provided. I own dozens of your Polos, Tees and Waffle knits in long and shorts sleeve. I consider these items to be the cornerstone of my casual wardrobe.

I am disheartened that your policy decisions are gravitating more towards the generic, ill-fitting offerings of less fashionable retailers while your competitors such as The Gap, Banana Republic, and American Apparel are trending the other way towards slim, clean fitting, fashion conscious clothing.

A very sad day, indeed. Please tell me that this decision isn't permanent. <<

Buy the large/tall and then wash it on hot and leave it in the dryer a little too long... ? I don't know. I was going to try that with one of their t-shirts.

brimley

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DGP
I don't recall J. Crew ever making MT. I have a bunch of MTs from Banana, but have never seen J. Crew offer them. Did I miss something?

Very limited runs. Thermals and polos last year. At least one jacket this year.

Smahatma

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bam!ChairDance
At least, as a medium, you have the power to size down. Size smalls like me tend to lack that luxury.
at least everything in the catalog exists in size small, whereas size extra-small's like me have a very limited selection of basics

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Write a better sincere email that doesn't sound like a complaint form and send it to [email protected]. Maybe he'll tell you why, but I have a feeling you already know - it doesn't make them money.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads