• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ontario girl faked having cancer and stole money

potemkin_city_limits

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This just became known to everyone but this girl befriended a lot of my close friends and took advantage of thousands of people taking their donation money and skipping town once she got busted. She pretended to have cancer, going as far as to shave her head and wax her eyebrows so people would believe her.

Here is a link to a story the Toronto Star is running tomorrow morning.
http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/arti...ise-money?bn=1

My good friend Rob Dyer who runs a legitimate cancer awareness organization/charity called Skate 4 Cancer arranged to take her to Disneyland as a final wish before she died of cancer and my girlfriend went with them to photograph the trip. Needless to say a lot of people are hurt and she has destroyed a lot of peoples faith in humanity for the time being with her selfish ways.

Also, I have to point out that in the article it mentions that they spoke with Ashley and she said she did it because she had a troubled upbringing and she just wanted love from her parents, but she had a really positive upbringing but she wasnt happy not getting all the attention so she found ways to be the center of the attention all the time.

I cant wait till they catch her and she goes to jail for stealing $30,000 by saying she had cancer.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's like she's the Canadian Hipster-grifter.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
Cute chick, but ******* mental.

not really.

******* mental though.

sjd

Reaction score
Originally Posted by potemkin_city_limits
I cant wait till they catch her and she goes to jail for stealing $30,000 by saying she had cancer.

I agree with you but we don't put people in jail for far worse crimes than this.

onion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A firefighter in the US did this as well a couple of months ago. He got a ton of money in donations (the fire department apparently had a huge event to raise money), and he also got the entire force to work his shifts so he could still collect a pay check while going through therapy (which was obviously complete BS).

After he got caught he felt so bad about doing it he ended up committing suicide
confused.gif

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Man that's messed up.

She's got OHIP. How did people think she needed money?
confused.gif

MrGimpy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Man that's messed up. She's got OHIP. How did people think she needed money?
confused.gif

Disneyland is a disgrace--they still refuse to accept OHIP cards.

Bill Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hope they throw the book at her. Faking cancer to scam people is just plain sick (pardon the pun) and having family members battle it over the years leaves me with no sympathy. Besides her complexion looks too healthy to have been on chemo.

Sherman90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
She might not have had cancer, but she's still very sick.

In fact, taken as a whole this entire affair proffers a brilliant deconstructionist critique on "Cancer" culture.

Hahah, now that I think about it, I like it!

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Man that's messed up.

She's got OHIP. How did people think she needed money?
confused.gif

Doesn't cover all drugs and additional services at the hospital to name a few things.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LVoer
Doesn't cover all drugs and additional services at the hospital to name a few things.

LIAR! TRAITOR!

(Of course I know this, having just shelled out a five figure payment to get my brother radiation treatment in Michigan).

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by onion
A firefighter in the US did this as well a couple of months ago. He got a ton of money in donations (the fire department apparently had a huge event to raise money), and he also got the entire force to work his shifts so he could still collect a pay check while going through therapy (which was obviously complete BS).

After he got caught he felt so bad about doing it he ended up committing suicide
confused.gif

Yeah, I remember that. I believe there was also a sherrif's deputy or something that did the same some years back.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics