• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Only skin deep...

jim_k

Reaction score
My memory was triggered by an "Avatar" here from the movie "American Psycho" and a thought that stuck with me after watching it. No, not "Wow, that was a lot of blood." It was "Do you really have to go through all that trouble to get great looking skin?

For those of you who haven't seen the movie, the lead character (who, btw, is a serial killer) goes through quite a regimen of lotions, oil, masks, etc. every day to keep his face looking absolutely perfect.

Now, I'm no Christian Bale, but I'd to get a little closer to decent looking skin than I am now. Also, I tried mensessentials.com and, while comprehensive, I'm not sure a one paragraph description of what my skin feels or looks like is enough information to dictate what products I should by.

What's a decent routine that some of you use and how did you get there?

(BTW - first post, relatively new to the board, but love it. Lots of great advice from a lot of helpful people.)

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the secret to great skin: drink water, avoid caffeine, drink water, avoid sugar, exercise, avoid alcohol, and drink lots of water.

find a moisturizer that works for you. different people are sensitive to different ingredients regardless of their skin type, so this one is really a matter of trial and error. my current favorites are kiehl's muti-purpose for men and one called curel (unscented) which you can find at any drugstore. also, bathe daily.

hermes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i'm a big fan of menessentials.com as they have a decent selection of products that are manufactured only for men and i've found them to have great customer service

you can call them and order what is called a 'goody box' which is a sample of all of their products that offer samples and it only costs the price of shipping (something like $7.00)

in any event, the baxter of california line is a good place to start, everyone seems to have good reviews, it's a premium line with an affordable price attached and therefore, accessible

brave soldier's products are more athlete based but designed by a dermatologist and again, great results

and kiehl's is a line that you really can't go wrong with, it has so many variations (oily, normal and dry) that there is something for everyone's skin

i've had great results from all three lines

once a week you should likely be doing something along this:
face wash
scrub
toner
extraction
mask
moisturize

daily, you likely only need a face wash, shave gear, a toner and an aftershave balm and/or moisturizer with an spf in it

jim_k

Reaction score
daily, you likely only need a face wash, shave gear, a toner and an aftershave balm and/or moisturizer with an spf in it
Dumb guy question:

At what point in this process do you shave?

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Probably just before the applying aftershave bit.

Edit: Wait, before the toner. I think what he means by "shave gear" he means "shave."

jim_k

Reaction score
Probably just before the applying aftershave bit. Edit: Wait, before the toner. I think what he means by "shave gear" he means "shave."
You'll notice that this, then, is only my fifth post, so I'm still getting accustomed to the quirks of the board, like when someone says "shave," they mean shave or when someone says "aftershave" they mean after one has shaved. But you must remember that I did preface the question by saying I was a "dumb guy." Of course, at the time, I had no idea how accurate that moniker was. Or is. Hey, Alias, if you wouldn't mind sparing that ski mask for a while, I'd like to use it for a little "I'm not here, you don't see me" time.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads