• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Online source for cool belts

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm looking for an online source for reasonably cool belts. I checked out the Denim Bar here in DC. They had some good stuff that was reasonably priced, but as luck would have it they are out of my size in everything that isn't completely over the top crazy.

Any ideas?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Try Lance's site (www.virtualclotheshorse.com). He has a few belts that are denim suitable, and for cheap. The Engineered Garments belt (available from Drinkwaters in Cambridge. MA) seems to have become the official styleforum belt, like APC's the official jean (j., Brian, and I all have it). If you want something in custom, check out www.baltazar.la, and phone the Denim Doctors to get hooked up. In all cases, tell them that you got the info from Styleforum.

rearviewmirror

Reaction score
Laguy -- what is up with the sizing on baltazar belts?

i wear a 29-30 in jeans but i need a 36" belt?.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Laguy -- what is up with the sizing on baltazar belts?

i wear a 29-30 in jeans but i need a 36" belt?.
You need a small. The length is the entire length, from end of buckle to end of leather, Including overlap, a small will give you about 3-4 inches of tongue, which is pretty much what you want. Belts are designed this way. Go to any store and see how much tongue is left after the holes... So yes, a 36 inch (total) belt, bill fit you. I have a 32-33" waist, and want my belts to be at least 40 inches, if not more, total length.

rearviewmirror

Reaction score
I'm just saying that most places that sell belts that I am accustomed to use the *buy one size up from your pant size* method =)

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, Baltazar belts come in S, M, L and XL. I have a 32.5 waist right now, which puts me squarely in a medium, although the small fits after extended use. A 34 (85 cm) belt is not really 34 inches total length, it just means that the last hole is at 34 inches.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has someone posted a picture of the Engineered Garments belt?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Damn, he's out of brown in size 36. Apparently 36 is the world's most popular belt size.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Damn, he's out of brown in size 36. Apparently 36 is the world's most popular belt size.
MonteCristo, If you are wearing Rescue 30's, a 34 might fit you. My true size in the New Standard would be a 31, (same size as j.) and the 34 fits me just fine. My true waist size is between 32 and 33, for reference.

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
After one day in the Rescues, I almost think I could go to a 29 since apparently the rise isn't affected by size changes -- only the waist. And the waist on these size 30s has already stretched a bit.

Anyway, maybe I will give the 34 a try. LA, I don't suppose you could take a measurement from your belt -- specifically, the distance from the buckle end of the leather strap (excluding the buckle itself) to the middle belt hole? And then another measurement from the middle hole to the tapered end of the belt?

I'm guessing a 34 could fit me, but my concern is that I have to leave the belt on the last hole all the time, and I don't like the look if there isn't enough excess strap showing at the end.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I think the 34 in the EG belt is a little smaller than the usual size 34 belt. Granted, the APCs were lower on the waist than most of my jeans, but I had to use the second to last hole on the belt for a while until it stretched a bit, rather than the middle hole. Now I'm able to use the middle hole, though I'm a little worried I'm going to stretch the belt way out of shape doing that.

BTW, LA Guy advised me to wear the EG belt "backwards" so that you had to flip the latch up to quick-release it rather than flipping it down, because of a possible danger of inadvertant release, but I decided it was too weird wearing that way and I haven't had any misfires yet. I just wear it the normal way.

rlevine

Reaction score
hmmm... I haven't had the problem you mention with the EG belt either.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the 34 in the EG belt is a little smaller than the usual size 34 belt. Granted, the APCs were lower on the waist than most of my jeans, but I had to use the second to last hole on the belt for a while until it stretched a bit, rather than the middle hole. Now I'm able to use the middle hole, though I'm a little worried I'm going to stretch the belt way out of shape doing that.

BTW, LA Guy advised me to wear the EG belt "backwards" so that you had to flip the latch up to quick-release it rather than flipping it down, because of a possible danger of inadvertant release, but I decided it was too weird wearing that way and I haven't had any misfires yet. I just wear it the normal way.
The belt stretches after some use, so i'm afraid that my measurements wouldn't be of much help. I actually had the same experience as j., to the point that wearing the belt at the 3rd hole is sort of loose. Then again, I hitch my hands on my belt a lot, and it tends to stretch the belt out more than usual. Again, if you can wear a 29 in the rescues, get the 34' belt, not the 36", which will probably be too long. Brian has a true 29-30 waist, and the 32 belt looks fine (great, really) on him.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics