Online shopping

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by matadorpoeta, Nov 27, 2003.

1. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Senior member

some of you will remember that i asked for advice recently on where to buy ties online. i mentioned at the end that i had ordered a tie from the thomas pink website and i would let everyone know what i thought. i recieved it yesterday and here are my thoughts.

let me first say that thomas pink sent the tie all the way from england even though they have a store in san francisco 300 miles away from me. i think it very inefficient, especially considering i paid $20 shipping and will probably recieve an additional bill of about $15 for customs.

the tie itself is nice, and i do like it, although it doesn't look the way i had expected. it is much shinier in person, when what i was after was the matte look shown on the website. still, i like it and i'll wear it happily. as for the quality, it seems no different than my other ties, which are all in the $60-$70 range. the material is much nicer than the $20 tie i recently got at nordstrom rack.

in short, it's a good tie but nothing special. i could have picked up something similar at brooks brothers for under $60. my favorite is a light lavender labelled "mark pendleton for nordstrom".

overall the experience left me seriously doubting i will ever buy a tie over the internet again. it's just too difficult to gauge what the thing will actually look like when you recieve it.

2. Zubberah

Zubberah Senior member

The same thing often happens - surely where u live u could've gone and checked out the fabric and construction of a Thomas Pink tie?

I've said this many times: If u r buying off the internet and eBay PLEASE DO ALL YOUR HOMEWORK FIRST.

3. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Senior member

i live in los angeles and the closest thomas pink store is in san francisco. if i could go to a store to check out the tie in person, i might as well had bought the tie in person.

i've never bought anything on ebay and this is one of the reasons why.

4. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Senior member

www.l*stseason.com
    Can someone ban this guy? Edit (Fok) Took out link [​IMG]