• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Online shoe-buying blues

Moostyle

Reaction score
I'm in Catania, Sicily, where the only shoe options are the low-cost plastic high street shoes: Aldo, Bata, Geox, Nike, etc.

When life returns to normal I guess I need to fly to Florence/Rome/Milan for an intensive 2-3 days shoe shopping.
I have the same problem with buying shoes online which is made far worse by the fact that for non-US people you generally have to swallow shipping and tax costs even when you return items. However now I know that Crockett & Jones UK10 in last 341 is a perfect fit for me so I am now trying to use that as a base.

You can also still go and get your feet measured in those shoe shops you are talking about.

Mirage-

Reaction score
If you pay with PayPal, you can get returns refunded to you.
That being said, I'm in Rome and have found no place where i'd want to buy my shoes, to be honest. Maybe I just dislike Italian RTW shoes, but it seems to me that nice ones are all in central locations and (over)priced for tourists, at least in Rome. Accordingly, they tend to favour patinas and fancy treatments over quality of construction or even over refined lasts.
The rest is mostly mediocre glued and/or corrected stuff. There are also small shops here and there, claiming to be artisans, but their offers are generally very round and shapeless for my taste.
I would go to Florence if I really wanted to shop in store, I've seen good locking pairs at affordable prices there - but otherwise, sadly, I just buy online from Spanish makers.
There are probably a few shops stocking the usual English suspects though, if you can afford EG or C&J.

Moostyle

Reaction score
If you pay with PayPal, you can get returns refunded to you.
Even expensive returns from Europe to the USA for 'purchasing errors' that you need to return for a new size? That would seem optimistic if true.

Mirage-

Reaction score
There is a maximum of 25€ I believe. Personally I almost never shop outside EU+UK, since returns might be ludicrous cost. Plus duties and courier fee annoy me.
Even expensive returns from Europe to the USA for 'purchasing errors' that you need to return for a new size? That would seem optimistic if true.

Moostyle

Reaction score
There is a maximum of 25€ I believe. Personally I almost never shop outside EU+UK, since returns might be ludicrous cost. Plus duties and courier fee annoy me.
omg you are right why have I never seen this before? https://www.paypal.com/au/webapps/mpp/returns

FUUUUUUUUUUUUU...

And yes you are right that it can be a pain, but when you get your size finally dialled in then I guess you can order more or less worry-free.

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Par for the course unfortunately for me. I live in Canada. There aren't many local shops that carry shoe brands last I checked. For sizing, I always will email the company for sizing advice. Sometimes I would buy a used pair (heavy discount) to get sizing down pat. I know this isn't always the best course of action. But it is what it is

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm in Catania, Sicily, where the only shoe options are the low-cost plastic high street shoes: Aldo, Bata, Geox, Nike, etc.

When life returns to normal I guess I need to fly to Florence/Rome/Milan for an intensive 2-3 days shoe shopping.
Or closer to home, get to Naples and give Antonio Meccariello a visit...

moltoelegante

Reaction score
Funny you should mention Meccariello. I was in touch with them just yesterday. Unfortunately they have dropped production of their RTW shoes, if I understood correctly, and will concentrate on their hand-welted line. Wonderful shoes but too good for daily duty in my neck of the woods.

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, I've spent mucho dinero on shoes and boots that did not fit until I found some brands and lasts that do. Just part of buying without trying game. If your feet are non-standard then you'll have trouble finding a good fit. But, what else can you do?

Angel91

Reaction score
Or even cheaper … go to Montegranaro and then have some time at the beach.

jack webb

Reaction score
Recently I bought a pair of shoes online that fit and felt great. Unfortunately I'd failed to inspect them closely so wore them a couple times before noticing that one had a partially detached sole in spots. Gorilla Glue didn't work so they eventually got tossed. Then I bought the exact same pair again - same model, same color, same size - but this time directly from the manufacturer instead of a big online retailer. They arrived in perfect condition but when I put them on, too tight.

Then there are certain makers who can't seem to maintain sizing consistency across their line: you're a 9.5 with one style but a 10 with another.

So yes, online shoe buying can be frustrating.

Last edited:

Son Of Saphir

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Best not to buy shoes online until:
- you know your feet characteristic very well
- you have a big shoe collection to take measurements from.
- you understand how a basic insole - shoe last formulae works.

Things to think about:
- is your instep average low or high?
- do you have pronation?
- look at how the toe angles in and make adjustments to the insole length required from big shoe collection to estimate right length for specific toe shape
- stick to certain shape of shoe that would work for foot.
- get familiar with a certain shoe brand,
and how wide are they in heel and how high is instep and how does sizing usually run?

Buying shoes online requires man to do his homework.
He needs to understand many things.
Need to be strict in what you buy,
do not buy anything.

You are not ready for buying online yet.
You far from ready.
You may never be ready due to your location limiting your experience.
Sometimes man cannot have it all.
Sometimes you cannot have whatever you want.

dungchung0404

Reaction score
I also think it is very difficult to buy a pair of shoes online and it's best to go to a store and try them on in person

Son Of Saphir

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Examples of trying to find size:

- if you want more pointy shoe you take similar shape shoe from collection and measure them,
insole measurement is always important and shape of toe is important for some feet

- if you have pronation you chose a wider toe box often so little toe not get rubbed

- shoe construction also important because it changes measurements.
- welt width changes measurements also.

Many things to take into account,
and sometimes 20 shoes get taken out of collection for measurements and still most ebay shoes not correspond to measurements that work for you.
Sometime you will find a shoe where the formulae and measurements will work,
BUT you need to become familiar with brand to minimize mistakes.

Me never bought shoes from ebay until recently.
Need very strict mind set.
Me going to buy pair from ebay next week,
the pair is very very good. :bounce2:
Me want to have some fun and wear shoes never available before,
but me earn the privilege through many years of experience and grind.
It best thing me ever do,
but it not something most man should do.

One day you know shoe measurements by heart and formulae for shoes and you know it work for you.
One day it create good gut feeling because you know the formulae work for certain shoes.

Last edited:

Moostyle

Reaction score
Sadly I bought all of my new shoes (around $1500 in value) in US11 when I should have bought US10.5... however I thought they were ok for the first few wears but now they just still feel a little too big. I guess I will have to use heel pads and inner soles to find a comfortable fit, but even so they are a little too long. Expensive lesson to learn, but at least it's only half a size which isn't the end of the world.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads