• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Online shirt makers and tunic shirts

TheEdwardian

Reaction score
Hi,

Does anyone know of an online shirtmaker capable of making tunic shirts with detachable collars?

I want a couple I can attach stiff collars to for morning dress (weddings to attend in the summer), and also generally like the idea of being able to extend the life/flexibility of my shirts by using multiple collars and different styles.

I have previously used Ede and Ravenscroft, who do a more than passable job for £125, but I presume I should be able to find better value and more flexibility online if someone is set up to do this.

TheEdwardian

Reaction score
Thanks Adagio

Don't suppose you have any pics of the results, or further comments on quality? My impression was that Jantzen had rather fallen out of favour around these parts - was that purely due to lax attitude re. delivery, rather than the quality?

As it's a non-standard option, how did you specify it on the order form? And did you discuss it with them first or just fill in the form and pray?

adagio

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheEdwardian
Thanks Adagio Don't suppose you have any pics of the results, or further comments on quality? My impression was that Jantzen had rather fallen out of favour around these parts - was that purely due to lax attitude re. delivery, rather than the quality? As it's a non-standard option, how did you specify it on the order form? And did you discuss it with them first or just fill in the form and pray?
I've ordered from Jantzen a few times but always called Ricky to chase up on the order. In this instance I called him before I put in the order because I wanted him to also make the detachable collars for me, but in the severe cutaway style of the RL keaton shirts. He told me to specify Collar #31 on the form, which is not on the website. Two of the three shirts were very good as regards the quality of the fabric. The third was pretty poor. Workmanship was good all round though. They did the proper button hole on the back of the collar for the stud etc. I've used Nialma more recently, including for the severe cutaway, but not the detachable, and have found them to be much more customer focused. If you're not in a hurry for your order, I would give Jantzen a try. If you want your shirts by a particular deadline try Nialma. Email their customer service and ask for James. He's very helpful and I'm sure they can do the tunic shirts. Here is an image of one of the Jantzens.
99602793hw9.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics