• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Online shirt makers and tunic shirts

TheEdwardian

Reaction score
Hi,

Does anyone know of an online shirtmaker capable of making tunic shirts with detachable collars?

I want a couple I can attach stiff collars to for morning dress (weddings to attend in the summer), and also generally like the idea of being able to extend the life/flexibility of my shirts by using multiple collars and different styles.

I have previously used Ede and Ravenscroft, who do a more than passable job for £125, but I presume I should be able to find better value and more flexibility online if someone is set up to do this.

TheEdwardian

Reaction score
Thanks Adagio

Don't suppose you have any pics of the results, or further comments on quality? My impression was that Jantzen had rather fallen out of favour around these parts - was that purely due to lax attitude re. delivery, rather than the quality?

As it's a non-standard option, how did you specify it on the order form? And did you discuss it with them first or just fill in the form and pray?

adagio

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheEdwardian
Thanks Adagio Don't suppose you have any pics of the results, or further comments on quality? My impression was that Jantzen had rather fallen out of favour around these parts - was that purely due to lax attitude re. delivery, rather than the quality? As it's a non-standard option, how did you specify it on the order form? And did you discuss it with them first or just fill in the form and pray?
I've ordered from Jantzen a few times but always called Ricky to chase up on the order. In this instance I called him before I put in the order because I wanted him to also make the detachable collars for me, but in the severe cutaway style of the RL keaton shirts. He told me to specify Collar #31 on the form, which is not on the website. Two of the three shirts were very good as regards the quality of the fabric. The third was pretty poor. Workmanship was good all round though. They did the proper button hole on the back of the collar for the stud etc. I've used Nialma more recently, including for the severe cutaway, but not the detachable, and have found them to be much more customer focused. If you're not in a hurry for your order, I would give Jantzen a try. If you want your shirts by a particular deadline try Nialma. Email their customer service and ask for James. He's very helpful and I'm sure they can do the tunic shirts. Here is an image of one of the Jantzens.

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 15 3.5%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 74 17.4%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 141 33.1%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 70 16.4%
  • 31 - 40

Votes: 35 8.2%