• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Online/self-study qualifications worth obtaining

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cannot tell if serious.

imschatz

Reaction score
CFA is self study (need a bachelors degree though) - high value in Canada, heard mixed opinions in the US.

ginlimetonic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by imschatz
CFA is self study (need a bachelors degree though) - high value in Canada, heard mixed opinions in the US.

if you don't have 4 yrs U.S. Bachelors or equivalent, you can still enrol in the CFA program if you have a few years of work exp.

Carlisle Blues

Reaction score
Depends if it is specific for a job such as : casualty lines insurance examiner, then yes. In this case the study and the test are sanctioned by the State in which the license is administered. If the online study is in lieu of actual in class study for a four year program or masters level program I think not.
There are more than 400 diploma mills and 300 counterfeit diploma Web sites, and business is thriving amid a lackluster economy — doubling in the past five years to more than $500 million annually, according to estimates kept by John Bear, author of Bears' Guide to Earning Degrees By Distance Learning. He studies degree mills and gives tips to the FBI and other federal agencies on detecting degree fraud. "(Diploma mills) used to be mom-and-pop outfits. It's now a professional criminal operation," says Allen Ezell, a retired FBI agent who investigated diploma mills in the 1980s. "It's gone high-tech and global in nature. That's something we've never had to deal with before.
http://www.usatoday.com/money/workpl...edegrees_x.htm

East2West

Reaction score
You can purchase a Ph.D online for a few hundred. They even come with transcripts

Canadian

Reaction score
I'm taking a course of studies through a seminary. I have the option at any time of physically traveling to the seminary to finish the degree, or I can do most of the work by correspondence.

It's not an MBA or CA designation (I'm working on an MTS) and at best, I'll end up doing the lecture circuit or living under a tree preaching and living off mangoes in the underdeveloped world, but I find the courses to be extremely valuable in other fields.

For example, I had no idea half the adult population of Swaziland was HIV positive. I had no idea where Swaziland was, but now I am in a far better negotiating position when I deal with people who are Afrikaner and appreciate that I understand some of their history and also why they left South Africa for Canada. As a native born Canadian, I sometimes forget that not everybody has it as good as we do, and that not every product should be sold to the target market where it will profit most, if there are deliberate and definite human costs.

Thomas

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imschatz
I just Googled CFAs. WTF makes them so valuable with such high salaries?

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Are you actually in IT? Or are you just bumming around looking to do "something?"

imschatz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by intent
I just Googled CFAs. WTF makes them so valuable with such high salaries?
Somewhat challenging cirriculum, covering a lot of the fundamentals to function as a financial/risk/business analyst.

And a 30% pass rate on the first two exams, makes it much more selective then an MBA from some 3rd rate school.

ginlimetonic

Reaction score
CFA wont' get you a job. It'll add value if you're working in the industry.

Why don't you try to get a job first, or move to your desired field.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads