• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Online fabric-swatch catalogue; name the fabric in Flusser's suit

TDP

Reaction score
Dear all, I am writing to ask whether there exists an online fabric-swatch catalogue. If not, please, SF censors, take guesses as to what fabric Flusser is wearing in the following picture. I would describe it as “turquoise windowpane against glen plaid”. Thanks!, TDP
flusserprinceofwaleswit.jpg

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has Flusser responded when you e-mailed him this picture?

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That fabric or something very similiar has been posted before. Ike Behar had a sportcoat that looked exactly like it and another member of this board had a Kiton sc for sale with that pattern.

Sorry I don't remember who the members were but you can do a search for it.

either/or

Reaction score
reluctant to join in as I am totally noob myself, but the title of the picture indicates a prince of wales check
wink.gif
...which btw becomes more apparent when colour-correcting the pic in PS. ...found online swatches here (no luck with your pattern) and this
wefs027.jpg
here. Described as "...brown PoW with light blue overcheck. Hard to tell it's brown, but it is indeed a light brown suit." google search prince+of+wales+blue+overcheck shows a grey mohair PoW with blue overcheck, unfortunately the link at ask-andy's (which it points to) is dead. Apparently available at huddersfieldcloth.com update: huddersfield account enabled, some swatches over there also
wink.gif
f1918.png
F1918 - GREY MOHAIR with BLUE OVERCHECK - Prince of Wales (240 grams / 8 Oz) - GREY PRINCE OF WALES - MOHAIR (Blue OverCheck) - Weight - Grams = 240 Oz = 8 Type - Mohair, 70% Super 100 wool, 30% Super Kid Mohair -Bunch - Thomas Fisher (Since 1859) - Cape Breeze, Luxury Wools Mohairs Light Weight Product ID F1918 -the blue overcheck doesn't seem quite right though (unless flusser-pic is blurred like google's preview) so I give up for now, but thanks for the opportunity to learn!
smile.gif

Master Shake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master Shake
cry.gif

I agree. The tie is horrible and the pants are a bit long but the suit pattern is nice.

either/or

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Will
I believe I took that photo and while I don't know the cloth the suit was definitely not a POW check.
PS autocolor, 300% indicates something PoW going on? And pic is named PoW??
flusserpowcropped.jpg
Oh well, I better keep quiet now
smile.gif

TDP

Reaction score
Thanks, everyone, for your help. I was the one who saved the photograph under that name because I believed the underlying pattern to be a glen plaid at the time; I apologise for the confusion! I also apologise for putting up a photograph of Will's without proper attribution.

Will, would you please take a guess as to the fabric or suggest a similar fabric from your vast repository of knowledge?

TDP

Reaction score
The answer: Dennis from Flusser's Custom Shop just responded that the fabric “…is a black and white glen plaid with a Tiffany-like blue over plaid. Woven in Italy, it's made from 140's merino wool that looks 14 ounces but weighs only 10 1/2 oz.…It's a delight to wear and takes advantage of the new spinning technology that allows the depth and dimension of a heavier fabric to be captured in a lighter, more comfortable weight.” It is woven exclusively for the Custom shop.

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does the OP plan on taking the train to NY to be fitted at Flusser's "custom" shop....or is Flusser willing to sell you some cloth via phone and credit card?

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As to what he is wearing, can't we just settle on an ill-fitting suit?

either/or

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TDP
... just responded that the fabric "...is a black and white glen plaid with a Tiffany-like blue over plaid. ...

since - according to wikipedia - PoW and glen plaid can be used alternatively it seems I have learnt something after all?
tongue.gif

-any chance of a better pic/swatch of this fabric?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads