• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 8th auction is for a Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Online Dating Behavior (appearance-related questions)

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This might implicitly provide evidence for how many members are "˜styling up' to meet women, though that might have been asked before or should be asked separately.

See the multiple-choice poll. Thanks.

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We don't get all dressed up to pick up chicks, we do it to impress other guys on the Internet we will never meet.

... or so I was told here.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Probably much of that is posturing, but with the single guys looking in person or informally rather than at websites strictly for dating. It's a shame to not have asked whether online daters check out the competition, but presumably few do. Online dating photos seldom show much style, though that's based on limited observation.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there a choice for 'No thanks, I can pick up women on my own and don't need to use a fucking computer to socialize'?

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thus the 'Online Dating Behavior'...if you don't date online, no need to reply = )

capnpyro

Reaction score
I had one online 'date', at a coffee shop, after finding the most attractive girl in my area on plentyoffish. I met up with her and if in her photos she was an 8.5, in person she was a 6, generously. I'll never try online dating again because it's obvious that people I'll be meeting all do the following poll question:

carefully select photos to maximize my (their) physical attractiveness.
I'm to superficial, and there's entirely no way to know who you're going to meet. I'll stick to picking up women the usual way-- while I'm in a club trashed out of my mind, thanks.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That says a lot about why some guys avoid online dating. There are some ways to sniff out deceptive photos, although it's probably true that there aren't many particularly attractive women under the age of, say, 27 using online dating services (much less the free ones). Note how nobody wants to discuss being much of an online dater =/

More regrets... Too bad the poll didn't ask about guys using social networking websites as dating sites. And too bad the poll didn't include a question about using misleading photos. That would seem to be more a woman's thing, due to the greater importance of weight and coloring.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I gave a few free sites a shot and it was a failure. Started conversations with a few girls, told them I would be more comfortable in person for coffee, they sounded interested, then suddenly they stop writing. Also, too many women who only have shots of their eyes, or very blurry photos. And too many weirdos from sub-cultures that I'm not down with.

So I went back to real life, which is slower, but likely to lead to better long-term outcomes.

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The key to success is to get girl's number ASAP. The more you spend time with her on online, you'll be ending up with nothing. If you played it right and she finds your photo charming then exchange number ASAP; should be done in two or three emails at most. If she is not willing then move on.

BreakfastPirate

Reaction score
Internet dating is a tricky beast. The best method I've found is to try to be honest with your appearance, but also try to cater to what your potential date seems to like. Girls on dating sites get A LOT of responses and most of them look at the picture to decide whether they're going to read what you have to say.

MilanoStyle makes a good point about getting a number as soon as possible, but I've definitely had situations where girls will end up talking to me online for several weeks before talking on the phone and then when we finally meet we really hit it off. Talking online is so easy and requires such little effort that you really don't have to feel bad if things don't work out, especially before you meet. Talking online can be a great way to build trust before you even meet them, and it definitely makes the date a lot less awkward.

FWIW, I've dated/gone out with several girls from MySpace, Facebook, and occasionally craigslist (though pretty much all of the craigslist girls tend to flake out real fast). The nice thing about internet girls is even if they do flake out you tend to get some really interesting stories...

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey, people are talking unabashedly about doing online dating
On that subject, it seems that the right look facilitates meeting in person. A look that is physically attractive, obviously, but probably not too aggressive. A friendly expression and, unless it's meeting for purely sexual purposes, a style that is not overtly sexual are likely requirements.

Brian SD

Reaction score
I've gotten fairly good at selecting the better looking girls. I look for ones with multiple photos in decent resolution that aren't blown out in high contrast. Multiple angles helps as well.

You can tell when a girl is just throwing up any old photo and its still attractive, versus those who only put up ones where their skin looks better, or something.

The site that I use in Korea is also helpful because you have to enter in your weight. If a girl doesn't put her weight in, she's fat.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would add that my friends who have dated online extensively typically stick with coffee or beer on the first date, and potentially, have plans not involving the girl immediately after the date. This makes you look like you have a life and real friends, and also, means you will at some point have an excuse to end the date if it goes south. I would go for a bit over an hour for the first meeting, max.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 31 3.7%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 143 17.2%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 276 33.1%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 130 15.6%
  • 31 - 40