• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Online bespoke tailored shirts are too expensive

BostonElitist

Reaction score
My only complaints with online tailors, such as ModernTailor, are that:
1. They should have a size-guide based on your dress-shirt size. By doing this, this would mitigate the chances of a shirt not fitting well. I've bought 3 shirts which all went to waste because I always put one or more variables wrongly.
2. They are too dang costly! At Jos. A. Banks, a 80s 2-play is $20, and they look great. However, a similar shirt at ModerTailor would be at least $70 with S&H.

Now that I know my body measurements very well, I have been quite pleased with ModernTailor. But they are still quite expensive, and they don't have bulk S&H. If it costs $10 to ship one shirt, then it should cost an extra $1-$2 to include another purchased shirt, since the mass/bulkiness of a shirt is very little.

I've looked at Winston Tailors of Hong Kong, but it's not possible to order shirts from his website. Moreover, he doesn't have an e-commerce site.

Who makes the cheapest, online bespoke shirts?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
$20 is a reasonable budget for a "bespoke" shirt

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BostonElitist
My only complaints with online tailors, such as ModernTailor, are that: 1. They should have a size-guide based on your dress-shirt size. By doing this, this would mitigate the chances of a shirt not fitting well. I've bought 3 shirts which all went to waste because I always put one or more variables wrongly. 2. They are too dang costly! At Jos. A. Banks, a 80s 2-play is $20, and they look great. However, a similar shirt at ModerTailor would be at least $70 with S&H.
The section I have emphasized in bold is false.
Now that I know my body measurements very well, I have been quite pleased with ModernTailor. But they are still quite expensive, and they don't have bulk S&H. If it costs $10 to ship one shirt, then it should cost an extra $1-$2 to include another purchased shirt, since the mass/bulkiness of a shirt is very little. I've looked at Winston Tailors of Hong Kong, but it's not possible to order shirts from his website. Moreover, he doesn't have an e-commerce site. Who makes the cheapest, online bespoke shirts?
If you are looking for cheap but with some measure of quality your best bet is to buy OTR shirts from Brooks on sale then have them tailored for $20. I used to do this before I started buying from propercloth. If you are looking for the cheapest possible stuff you will get garbage. These shirts are the physical presentation of yourself to the outside world, why would you want to cover that in trash? Have some pride in your appearance and buy quality.

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So you got your measurements wrong and are upset that you wasted money. Did you consider going to a tailor to be measured so that the measurements would be correct? A lot of on-line MTM shirt companies have traveling tailors to make sure the process works properly.

I use MyTailor and always get measured and/or wear the last shirt they have made for me and let them adjust based upon the fit.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My only complaints with online tailors, such as ModernTailor, are that:
1. They should have a size-guide based on your dress-shirt size. By doing this, this would mitigate the chances of a shirt not fitting well. I've bought 3 shirts which all went to waste because I always put one or more variables wrongly.
2. They are too dang costly! At Jos. A. Banks, a 80s 2-play is $20, and they look great. However, a similar shirt at ModerTailor would be at least $70 with S&H.

Now that I know my body measurements very well, I have been quite pleased with ModernTailor. But they are still quite expensive, and they don't have bulk S&H. If it costs $10 to ship one shirt, then it should cost an extra $1-$2 to include another purchased shirt, since the mass/bulkiness of a shirt is very little.

I've looked at Winston Tailors of Hong Kong, but it's not possible to order shirts from his website. Moreover, he doesn't have an e-commerce site.

Who makes the cheapest, online bespoke shirts?

I'll say it for Vox. You're really living up to your name

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Most online MTM places do allow you to order standard sizes. Kinda defeats the whole object of buying MTM though...

As for the price, do you honestly expect a business which makes shirts to order to specific measurements to be able to produce them for the same price as one which churns them out in standard sizes? Are you really that stupid? If the $20 RTW shirt fits you perfectly then just buy that, MTM is for people who don't fit well in RTW sizes, or who want more customisation than RTW provides; these extra options cost money.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you cannot measure yourself correctly it is hardly the tailor's fault. As to price I assume that you prefer not to pay at all. You mention no prices which are unreasonable - merely your view of them is.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
Anytime.

fistbump.gif

- B

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BE, you may be the cheapest man I ever met. Come buy some clothes in Canada. $70 is less than a BR shirt.

BTW, I mean that as a compliment.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads