• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Onitsuka Tiger by Asics Mexico 66

Biggs

Reaction score
Aside from Zappos and and Shoes.com, where is the best (and cheapest) place to get them (online or B&M)? How is the fit? Â Do I need to order a half size smaller/larger?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Buy true to size. They are incredibly comfortable. Don't know where you can find them on sale, though a quick google will usually turn something up (the Mexico 66 are pretty popular, and have been around a while.)

Biggs

Reaction score
Thanks. Out of curiosity, how much did you get them for (i.e. private sale)?

Biggs

Reaction score
Damn, that was a remarkable price. Â The best I could find is $70 shipped. Â
sad.gif

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I'm actually an oddity among streetwear guys. I am in the small minority who will actually wear their "premium" sneakers to hell (my Puma MY-8s are a testiment to that), and who wash their jeans after just a few wears (some denim guys will wash their jeans once a month, tops.)

I also argue that American laundries (facilities at which jeans are treated - tinted, washed, distressed, etc...) are generally better than Italian and Japanese ones; and I prefer Italian denim to Japanese. Both opinions set me deeply at odds with lots of hard core denimheads, who may *only* wear 14 ounce japenese denim made on vintage looms, etc... Not to mention that my favorite brands are mainstream brands like Paper Denim, and that I think that American denim companies are generally far superior to European and Japanese ones, or that I have no problem with middle weight denim (although anything under 10.5 ounces I find just too light).

Brian SD

Reaction score
Well, I'm actually an oddity among streetwear guys. I am in the small minority who will actually wear their "premium" sneakers to hell (my Puma MY-8s are a testiment to that), and who wash their jeans after just a few wears (some denim guys will wash their jeans once a month, tops.) I also argue that American laundries (facilities at which jeans are treated - tinted, washed, distressed, etc...) are generally better than Italian and Japanese ones; and I prefer Italian denim to Japanese. Both opinions set me deeply at odds with lots of hard core denimheads, who may *only* wear 14 ounce japenese denim made on vintage looms, etc... Not to mention that my favorite brands are mainstream brands like Paper Denim, and that I think that American denim companies are generally far superior to European and Japanese ones, or that I have no problem with middle weight denim (although anything under 10.5 ounces I find just too light).
Blasphemy. To the scaffold you go. Onitsuka Tigers are extremely comfortable, and are cheap enough that you can beat them to **** free of guilt.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On the plus side, LA, you can live with the comfort of knowing that you like what you wear, and are not committed to an over-the-top vision of exclusivity and craftsmanship that will almost certainly seem silly in retrospect.

On the Asics tigers - though I'm no streetwear king - I think they're alright. The snob in me, which I like to try to keep to a minimum, is slightly disappointed in almost anything available through Urban Outfitters, with notable exceptions.

Try classicsportsshoes.com. Same price on the Mexico 66, but some other nifty Onitsuka styles... I've gotten several things from them (Chucks, Jack Purcells, Adidas) and have been satisfied.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The snob in me, which I like to try to keep to a minimum, is slightly disappointed in almost anything available through Urban Outfitters, with notable exceptions.

Me too. But you can find everything from J.P. Da'mage (though not anymore) to Evisu jeans on the Urban sight, so... Still, I have a visceral reaction against their house brands, esp. BdG, which rips off everyone from Rogan to Paper Denim, and then does a completely sh*t job with cut rate materials and worse workmanship. Of course, what do you expect when the premium denim companies source from Japan and Italy, manufacture in Italy, Japan, and the US, and then use laundry processes that can cost up to about $18 per piece, and Urban tries to produce a similar jean that will retail for $44?

amirrorcrackd

Reaction score
I have a pair of Ultimate 81s that I love. I paid 60.00 from Eastbay and at retail, they were a bargain. So light and comfortable, and they seem to be lasting a good amount of time.

Dan

Biggs

Reaction score
Some feedbacks on Zappos say the soles wear out too quickly.  Is this true?

dpinto

Reaction score
Try harputs.com They are $55 and up depending on colour and size. Eastbay is a great place for discounts if you hit it at the right time. I got a pair of Onitsuka Limberup Moscow for about $25 a while back. They are great for day to day wear with jeans.

november

Reaction score
they are like slippers.
I love my pair. Too bad I bought them in Munich
and they were like 90 euros but they were
so comfortable. I can't wait to get another pair....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads