Onitsuka Tiger by Asics Mexico 66

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Biggs, Jan 5, 2005.

1. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Aside from Zappos and and Shoes.com, where is the best (and cheapest) place to get them (online or B&M)? How is the fit? Â Do I need to order a half size smaller/larger?

2. bry2000

bry2000 Senior member

Order your true size. No need for bigger or smaller. Can't help you with on line resources; I bought mine at Bloomingdales when they had their private sale.

3. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Buy true to size. They are incredibly comfortable. Don't know where you can find them on sale, though a quick google will usually turn something up (the Mexico 66 are pretty popular, and have been around a while.)

4. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Thanks. Out of curiosity, how much did you get them for (i.e. private sale)?

5. LA Guy

I picked mine up at an Urban Outfitters sale for $25. They had about 30 pairs when I went, and none were left the next day.

6. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Damn, that was a remarkable price. Â The best I could find is $70 shipped. Â [​IMG]

7. bry2000

bry2000 Senior member

At Bloomies, I paid $69.99 less a 30% discount. I think it will be hard to beat $70 on the internet. The fact that LAGuy likes the sneakers validates my purchase. I know little about cool streetwear.

8. LA Guy

Well, I'm actually an oddity among streetwear guys. I am in the small minority who will actually wear their "premium" sneakers to hell (my Puma MY-8s are a testiment to that), and who wash their jeans after just a few wears (some denim guys will wash their jeans once a month, tops.)

I also argue that American laundries (facilities at which jeans are treated - tinted, washed, distressed, etc...) are generally better than Italian and Japanese ones; and I prefer Italian denim to Japanese. Both opinions set me deeply at odds with lots of hard core denimheads, who may *only* wear 14 ounce japenese denim made on vintage looms, etc... Not to mention that my favorite brands are mainstream brands like Paper Denim, and that I think that American denim companies are generally far superior to European and Japanese ones, or that I have no problem with middle weight denim (although anything under 10.5 ounces I find just too light).

9. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

Blasphemy. To the scaffold you go. Onitsuka Tigers are extremely comfortable, and are cheap enough that you can beat them to shit free of guilt.

10. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

On the plus side, LA, you can live with the comfort of knowing that you like what you wear, and are not committed to an over-the-top vision of exclusivity and craftsmanship that will almost certainly seem silly in retrospect.

On the Asics tigers - though I'm no streetwear king - I think they're alright. The snob in me, which I like to try to keep to a minimum, is slightly disappointed in almost anything available through Urban Outfitters, with notable exceptions.

Try classicsportsshoes.com. Same price on the Mexico 66, but some other nifty Onitsuka styles... I've gotten several things from them (Chucks, Jack Purcells, Adidas) and have been satisfied.

11. LA Guy

Me too. But you can find everything from J.P. Da'mage (though not anymore) to Evisu jeans on the Urban sight, so... Still, I have a visceral reaction against their house brands, esp. BdG, which rips off everyone from Rogan to Paper Denim, and then does a completely sh*t job with cut rate materials and worse workmanship. Of course, what do you expect when the premium denim companies source from Japan and Italy, manufacture in Italy, Japan, and the US, and then use laundry processes that can cost up to about $18 per piece, and Urban tries to produce a similar jean that will retail for $44?

12. amirrorcrackd

amirrorcrackd Senior member

I have a pair of Ultimate 81s that I love. I paid 60.00 from Eastbay and at retail, they were a bargain. So light and comfortable, and they seem to be lasting a good amount of time.

Dan

13. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Some feedbacks on Zappos say the soles wear out too quickly.  Is this true?

14. dpinto

dpinto New Member

Try harputs.com They are $55 and up depending on colour and size. Eastbay is a great place for discounts if you hit it at the right time. I got a pair of Onitsuka Limberup Moscow for about $25 a while back. They are great for day to day wear with jeans.

15. november

november Well-Known Member

they are like slippers.
    I love my pair. Too bad I bought them in Munich
    and they were like 90 euros but they were
    so comfortable. I can't wait to get another pair....