• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oni Jeans?

Augusto86

Sean Penn's Mexican love child
Reaction score
Anybody have any experience with these? Are they worth the premium? For my next pair of jeans I'm considering something from Japan, and I'm torn between Studio D'ARtisan bootcuts:

D1002_side.jpg

and these Oni Reds:

Oni-2PP_side.jpg

However, I've never smelled, seen, or touched either of them before, although I've heard good things about SD'A and the Onis look pretty badass.

Also, I'm not interested in skinny or slim-fit jeans - I wear lots of boots and I like to be comfortable and relaxed.

Augusto86

Reaction score
I was actually looking at the SD-D1002...but same deal?

Maybe I'll go with the Onis instead - I think they're more my line anyways, flashier and not faithful to the Levi-repro ideal.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The D-1002 is the same cut as the sd-105. The 1002 is LH twill, the 105 is RH twill. I'm wearing the 105 right now. Great pair of jeans. It's basically the same as the 103, except the cut is contoured in slightly from the thigh to just below the knee, then curves back out down to the ankle. A very subtle bootcut and the ankle opening is the same as the 103.

The Oni Reds are the relaxed fit. The Oni Blue are more fitted and would be closer in spirit to the sd-1002.

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
oni's are much better quality denim than sda. i think the oni blue (yellow tags) are regular cut, not at all tight..red is wide straight i believe

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by poly800rock
oni's are much better quality denim than sda. i think the oni blue (yellow tags) are regular cut, not at all tight..red is wide straight i believe

The denim is a different style, i.e., "slubbier," but why would you say the quality is "much better?" The SDA denim is awesome. The differences at this level are more a matter of style and taste than quality. I kinda prefer the less-slubby style of SDA, Denime, Skull, Flat Head, etc., though I am tempted by the Pure Blue xx-005 just for variety's sake.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hi Baron... Where did you get your SD-105s? And did you size up or down from your actual waist? I'm totally interested in this cut. They look great in sllouhette. Thanks.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I got them through Coldrice when he was in Japan. You could get them through a bid service, but you might as well just get the d-1002 from Blue in Green. It's the same thing except for the left hand twill. I got my actual size and they fit perfectly. By actual size I mean the size I wear in trousers, like suit pants.

wpeters

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Parker
Where did you get your SD-105s? And did you size up or down from your actual waist? I'm totally interested in this cut. They look great in sllouhette. Thanks.

I got d-1002 from coldrice as well, and really like them. I also got my actual size, and they fit well.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Great. Thanks for the input.

Brian SD

Reaction score
I don't think the Oni denim is necessarily better.. but it is definitely more special, and considerably more unique. IMO, everyone should have a solid tight-woven pair of high quality jeans (RRDS/SS, 5EP, SD'A, Denime, R&B, Dry Bones, Full Count) and a pair of super-slubby **** off crazy jeans (Oni, PBJ, some Samurai, some Canes, Duckdiggers).

Oh yea Augusto, the difference in fit is HUGE between the Reds and the SDAs you linked. I remember you saying you're a baggier denim kind of guy. Go with the Onis if that's your taste.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Or consider a SD-101 if you want the same style cut in the tight woven, regular denim. The D-1102/SD-105 is pretty damn fitted.

mth

Reaction score
Finally, a topic where I have something worthwhile to add. I have both the SD-101s and the Oni Reds, both size 34. The fit of these jeans is pretty different -- while both are pretty straight legged and (relative to other models) roomy in they thighs, the Onis seem to have a much looser fit from top to bottom (and this is after a four hour hot soak). Maybe the fits would be different if I had sized down in the Onis. (For reference, I also have a pair of 45rpm Sorahikos, also in size 34. The cut of the Sorahikos is also similar, but the overall fit is somewhere between the Onis and the SDAs in terms of size, making it the most comfortable pair for me.) As for texture, I agree with what others on this forum have written about the slubbiness of the Onis and the dark tight weave of the SDAs. They're pretty different, but both nice in their own way. Happy hunting.

Augusto86

Reaction score
I may just have to pick up a side career as a male hooker or professional assassin to pay for these jeans and buy BOTH - oh, and some Frye boots; and some C&J wholecuts; and a new watch...****..

mizanation

Reaction score
augusto, the D1002 is very slim in the thigh. it's slimmer than the SD-103 (in the thigh) which is already pretty slim.

if you're feeling the back pocket design and you wear your jeans a little looser, the Oni is a better choice.

you really chose two extremes of the jean spectrum there, in all categories--fit, cut, denim, aesthetic. but both are good choices.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads