• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oni Jeans?

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
you gotta rub it in mike dont ya!
smile.gif

mikecch

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whatever123
you gotta rub it in mike dont ya!
smile.gif

Haha, I've only got 3 more weeks to spend with these before the Roy x Cone contest starts, and won't be seeing them until 2012 =(

Oni's fabric is just so amazing, one of the most interesting denim out there - very tactile, subtly slubby.

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mikecch
Haha, I've only got 3 more weeks to spend with these before the Roy x Cone contest starts, and won't be seeing them until 2012 =( Oni's fabric is just so amazing, one of the most interesting denim out there - very tactile, subtly slubby.
totally. this is my second pair of blues. my first pair were from back in 07' when they did the single-stitch back arc. but they were to big so i sold after only a few months worth of real wear. i missed them so much i got a pair in my correct size.
DSCN0423.jpg
DSCN0421.jpg

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
hey mikecch, what are your thoughts on the construction of your 1001s? is the top stitching really sewn with a single machine? do you think they would hold up okay with a year or two of solid wear? i have never seen them in person so i wanted to get your thoughts on them. thanks.

mikecch

Reaction score
hey mikecch, what are your thoughts on the construction of your 1001s? is the top stitching really sewn with a single machine? do you think they would hold up okay with a year or two of solid wear? i have never seen them in person so i wanted to get your thoughts on them. thanks.
That is what I've been told by the Oni dudes at Hinoya. Everything, except for the overlocking at some of the seams (e.g. the outseam), was done with single stitch. I dunno if it is one or two or three machines, but I imagine they would use a separate machines for the locking? If done with a single-needle stitch, I imagine the seams would be very labour intensive. Not super sure, need expert input on this one... I've had them for a short while now, and none of the stitches have come loose - I reckon they're pretty safe.
DSC04155.jpg
DSC04173.jpg

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
cool thanks. keep us up to date.

do you know if there using the same denim in both the blues and the hand-made 1001s? i know on paper they are both 14 oz denim ... this whole hand-made single needle thing is new to me in raw denim so i am trying to learn about it.

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if they still make the Oni red fit?

BiG used to have two coded jeans - red and blue, in addition to the shoai.

They dropped the red, kept the blue, and rakuten don't seem to code the jeans in the same way... can't tell if the red's are 0220 or ONI-60 or what.

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by somatoform
Does anyone know if they still make the Oni red fit? BiG used to have two coded jeans - red and blue, in addition to the shoai. They dropped the red, kept the blue, and rakuten don't seem to code the jeans in the same way... can't tell if the red's are 0220 or ONI-60 or what.
do you not like the blue fit? i havent seen the old red in a while. they better do a shoai this year. still waiting to hear back from g to see if i can order.

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, I like the blue fit (but like the 1001s more). I'm just always more interested in the more relaxed version of any jean, but can't remember exactly the specs of the red.

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
No, I like the blue fit (but like the 1001s more). I'm just always more interested in the more relaxed version of any jean, but can't remember exactly the specs of the red.

i think the red was a tad larger in the thigh, knee, and hem. im not sure about the rise though.

mikecch

Reaction score
cool thanks. keep us up to date.

do you know if there using the same denim in both the blues and the hand-made 1001s? i know on paper they are both 14 oz denim ... this whole hand-made single needle thing is new to me in raw denim so i am trying to learn about it.

As far as I can tell it's the same denim...I think there are subtle variations from batch to batch, but essentially the same thing.

Does anyone know if they still make the Oni red fit?

BiG used to have two coded jeans - red and blue, in addition to the shoai.

They dropped the red, kept the blue, and rakuten don't seem to code the jeans in the same way... can't tell if the red's are 0220 or ONI-60 or what.

Yeah, they do.
Just have to look at the measurements if you can't read Japanese, but usually it's indicated in Kanji.
赤鬼 = red
青鬼 = blue

Older models also had blue/red buttons as further indicators.

commodorewheeler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if they still make the Oni red fit? BiG used to have two coded jeans - red and blue, in addition to the shoai. They dropped the red, kept the blue, and rakuten don't seem to code the jeans in the same way... can't tell if the red's are 0220 or ONI-60 or what.
I'm pretty sure that they do, it's just that BiG doesn't carry any of them right now. There is more than one model in the red cut, so that's why the model numbering might be confusing.

commodorewheeler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The reds are definitely looser than the blues, there should be some specs on Rakuten.

rennavate

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oni Blues are going to be my next pair of denim... just have to wait for BiG's restock in the spring!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads