• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

cbusguy

Reaction score
i know the point of a polo coat is the tan camelhair, but would anyone ever consider one out of a tan tweed? not exactly like this one, but similar:

pastel-honey.jpg

the worn camelhair coats that i have seen always have wear across the cuffs, the edges, and are a little threadbare. is that desirable? i think tweed would be a little more hard wearing. i know the camelhair is what makes a traditional polo, but a solid tan tweed could be interesting

Zerase

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It think Andreas Weinås polo coat from B&Tailor is pretty smashing. I would perhaps lengthen it by 2-3 cm, other than that I think it looks great.

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think this coat from @Despos is one of the best I've seen in the bespoke world. It feels like a polo. I would probably get slightly more upwards pointing peaks, but all the other details seem to there: a dropped buttoning point, obviously swelled edges (maybe these are machine sewn?), and the right, sporty pocket style.

This was made for another client, but is being worn here by @Patrick R. Hence why the pockets are asymmetrical on the two sides. But it's still a fabulous looking coat.

View attachment 1223630

Seeing this picture made me smile at what I paid for that coat. I am now looking forward to another cold winter.

And seeing these other posted coats makes me even happier with mine.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
i know the point of a polo coat is the tan camelhair, but would anyone ever consider one out of a tan tweed? not exactly like this one, but similar:

pastel-honey.jpg

the worn camelhair coats that i have seen always have wear across the cuffs, the edges, and are a little threadbare. is that desirable? i think tweed would be a little more hard wearing. i know the camelhair is what makes a traditional polo, but a solid tan tweed could be interesting

For a polo, I think I'd just stick with a wool-camelhair blend. Pure camelhair can be a bit delicate, but my understanding is that wool-camelhair blends are a bit sturdier.

I also want a tweed ulster though. George from BRIO has a nice one. I had the same cloth for a while, but sold it. Kind of regret doing so.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Here’s mine (with pockets stuffed full of stuff, lol). Mine’s actually wool, not real camel hair. Had it made about 12 years or so ago and have gotten lots of use.

DBFE5F08-EED1-4877-840C-BF03756F22AF.jpeg

steveabdn

Reaction score
It think Andreas Weinås polo coat from B&Tailor is pretty smashing. I would perhaps lengthen it by 2-3 cm, other than that I think it looks great.

I do like it but I feel it would look better if it were lengthened, the buttoning point lowered and a fuller cut. This doesn’t quite feel like it’s hitting the same notes as other examples and feels more like a standard double breasted overcoat to me

Encathol Epistemia

Reaction score
My receipt of my waistcoats from Mr. Di Pietro has been delayed until Saturday (today was always a little uncertain), which is hardly a bother, but I am very eager to get them and I wish I had known before I lugged the bolt of cloth that I intend to have him make a double-breasted suit from to work. They've pleased me at the fittings and my current waistcoats are pretty shabby.

It also gives me more time to work about any deficiencies in the fit my recently received sport coat that might need to be addressed, although I confess that I'm apprehensive about broaching the matter, even though Mr. Di Pietro has always emphasized that I should bring any problems with his work to him and seems to take customer service seriously. I'm 'mild mannered' at a minimum and it will be a new experience for me.

It takes a village to create a polo coat!

I'm kind of impressed that it generated this much excitement, even as handsome a style as it is. One never can quite tell what will set men's hearts aflutter.

Last edited:

Bromley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That DOW polo coat is archetypal for a lot of reasons, but I think the substantial heft of the cloth is fundamental. Haven't seen a modern example presented here that matches the apparent weight and sturdiness of his coat's cloth. I also think the lighter camel shades look best, and most Polo Coat-y.

DavidLane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can I ask if the swelled edges on Patrick's coat are either machine sewn or hand picked?

I know O'Connell's has a few vintage one's in their shop. It might be worth a call to Ethan to see if there is a vintage one in your size. I would not go with a newer make from them however.

I picked up a British Warm coat from them a few years ago, and the only thing I dislike is that the coat has very low armholes. Mine is definitely a newer make and I know the vintage one's had a much higher armhole.

It might be nice to try something on, and see how it looks for the price of shipping, as long as you have the option to return it.

DL-

birdlives80

Reaction score
I think this coat from @Despos is one of the best I've seen in the bespoke world. It feels like a polo. I would probably get slightly more upwards pointing peaks, but all the other details seem to there: a dropped buttoning point, obviously swelled edges (maybe these are machine sewn?), and the right, sporty pocket style.

This was made for another client, but is being worn here by @Patrick R. Hence why the pockets are asymmetrical on the two sides. But it's still a fabulous looking coat.

View attachment 1223630
I don’t know, the waist suppression/bell like skirt makes it more like a formal guards coat, the opposite effect of the louche robe style of the Duke and Coward pics. An aside, the raglan shoulders on Coward’s coat up the robe ante even further, I dig it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads