• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks a lot! That’s excellent insight and may explain why I’m having so much trouble with this particular commission.

Here’s what happened: I gave my Naples tailor the NMWA flannel and asked for a double breasted suit and a second pair of pants that I would use as odd pants. While cutting the suiting for the commissions, he noted that there was more than enough suiting left over for a jacket. So he asked if I wanted two suits instead. That sounded like a great idea (rather than waste the extra suiting) but needed to come up with something very different than my double breasted of the same suiting. I decided that a 1 button peak lapel was different enough from the DB to justify that second commission. That’s how I got to where I am. But I was still struggling with the pocket and shoulder preference (which, in large part, dictates the formality of the suit).

I think that you hit on why I was having so much trouble. My concern with doing something very different from my DB led me astray. The suiting is probably not well matched for the 1B PL configuration thus no shoulder/pocket combination felt right.

I’m going to cancel this second commission and just save the extra suiting as an unfounded liability until by DB wears out. Thanks for clarifying my muddled vision.

P.S. I do own a 3 piece 1BPL in a dark (not quite navy) subtle nailhead pattern made by Despos. I really like the configuration but will save it for a more appropriate suiting.

What about a dinner jacket?

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also have that Minnis fabric, but it is unfunded as of now.

I have not considered making it up as a SB peak lapel. But I don’t mind the idea of doing something different; that is, combining a casual cloth with a more formal style. SB peak lapel, one button, slightly roped shoulder ... how about slanted pockets with ticket pocket.

I’d prefer you sell it to me.

jdp234

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks a lot! That’s excellent insight and may explain why I’m having so much trouble with this particular commission.

Here’s what happened: I gave my Naples tailor the NMWA flannel and asked for a double breasted suit and a second pair of pants that I would use as odd pants. While cutting the suiting for the commissions, he noted that there was more than enough suiting left over for a jacket. So he asked if I wanted two suits instead. That sounded like a great idea (rather than waste the extra suiting) but needed to come up with something very different than my double breasted of the same suiting. I decided that a 1 button peak lapel was different enough from the DB to justify that second commission. That’s how I got to where I am. But I was still struggling with the pocket and shoulder preference (which, in large part, dictates the formality of the suit).

I think that you hit on why I was having so much trouble. My concern with doing something very different from my DB led me astray. The suiting is probably not well matched for the 1B PL configuration thus no shoulder/pocket combination felt right.

I’m going to cancel this second commission and just save the extra suiting as an unfunded liability until my DB wears out. Thanks for clarifying my muddled vision.

P.S. I do own a 3 piece 1BPL in a dark (not quite navy) subtle nailhead pattern made by Despos. I really like the configuration but will save it for a more appropriate suiting.

Could just have the second jacket done as a 3/2 with patched pockets, no?

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good suggestions, all. I appreciate it.

I have chosen to cancel the commission and just save the suiting as an unfunded liability until the double breasted one gives up the ghost. Then I'll just commission an exact replacement. After all, the suiting is no longer made.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Be a baller and turn them into pajamas.
I like it but that suggestion is too big time for me.

And remember I only wear pyjama bottoms which would leave me with a length of suiting still left over which is what got me into this predicament in the first place.

Punt

Reaction score
Paone coat arrived, crap pictures I know! Will try to shoot more later... 100% cashmere LP fabric

IMG_7676.jpg
IMG_7674.jpg
IMG_7670.jpg
IMG_7712.jpg

IMG_7672.jpg

Punt

Reaction score
Ignore crappy bathroom pictures, we staying in temp house during build of our new one :)

mockingboy

Reaction score
Hey there

Has his been cleared up; I’m going through the same exact issue.

Did you ever get your garments? I have now paid him in full and he’s late atleast 8 weeks and is very bad communicator?

Thanks

Any recent experience with Biagio Granata? He's been promising delivery of a suit for a while and its making me real nervous as he's paid in full including shipping.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey there

Has his been cleared up; I’m going through the same exact issue.

Did you ever get your garments? I have now paid him in full and he’s late atleast 8 weeks and is very bad communicator?

Thanks

I ended up getting them after a million broken promises. I wasn’t pleased with getting my suit folded into a small bag after paying 100EUR for shipping. The suit fits but is a bit snug on shoulders and underarms. He will fix it next time he arrives in NY though I am concerned how long it will take to get it back.

As a side note, I don’t understand him from a business stand point. The first commission is the hardest and his goal should be to get repeat business. He should be providing great service on the first one and then screwing us over in the future. Currently, I can’t see myself placing another order.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I ended up getting them after a million broken promises. I wasn’t pleased with getting my suit folded into a small bag after paying 100EUR for shipping. The suit fits but is a bit snug on shoulders and underarms. He will fix it next time he arrives in NY though I am concerned how long it will take to get it back.

As a side note, I don’t understand him from a business stand point. The first commission is the hardest and his goal should be to get repeat business. He should be providing great service on the first one and then screwing us over in the future. Currently, I can’t see myself placing another order.

Sounds like he bit off more than he could chew, and now you've two bad experiences. Will you keep it going or try a New York tailor?

https://www.permanentstyle.com/2019/01/new-york-bespoke-tailors.html

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics