• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not really ongoing project but this is my 2nd Huntsman suit with the cheaper bespoke option.

I recently sent in my pants to get buttons added to wear with braces since they kept falling down. Now that I’m wearing them with braces I can see the pants are too long. I’m going to have them shortened. It looks sloppy. View attachment 1890335
Definitely detracts from the perfect physique

stuessi

Reaction score
two jackets I've just commissioned:

37ZCrnLh.png

WqS3lWUh.png

bicmBqzh.png

HIzWpo7h.png

WVW9p1gh.png

dUvYVTjh.png
Looks great! May I ask which tailor you have chosen? Pastena?

Sreezy36

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not really ongoing project but this is my 2nd Huntsman suit with the cheaper bespoke option.

I recently sent in my pants to get buttons added to wear with braces since they kept falling down. Now that I’m wearing them with braces I can see the pants are too long. I’m going to have them shortened. It looks sloppy. View attachment 1890335

Ole real life Harvey Specter lookin a$$!!

Sorry I had to do it. 😂😂😂😂😂

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Did the tailor from the NYC office cut this suit? I like a lot of the stuff he is producing for the NYC branch. I've never been a fan of the suits from UK branch.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did the tailor from the NYC office cut this suit? I like a lot of the stuff he is producing for the NYC branch. I've never been a fan of the suits from UK branch.
Yep. Ralph did this one for me.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That knot confirming that when they said everything’s bigger in Texas they meant everything. That suit is 🔥.

Crispyj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know they are pricey but I would keep working with Ralph to achieve the holy grail, jacket #11.
Realistically, doesn't take 11 jackets with a good tailor to get perfect one. If the tailor can't nail down the fit in 2-3 jackets, better go some where else.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Realistically, doesn't take 11 jackets with a good tailor to get perfect one. If the tailor can't nail down the fit in 2-3 jackets, better go some where else.

Has anyone had a very poor first jacket and an amazing 3rd jacket? I suspect, but could be wrong, that it's rare.

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would have to think that would only happen if the tailor put in the work to make a tough situation right. I could theoretically imagine such a situation if the measurer/fitter wasn't the cutter, and there was a bit of the game of telephone in the process

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Has anyone had a very poor first jacket and an amazing 3rd jacket? I suspect, but could be wrong, that it's rare.

I agree, however Foo specifically stated you aren’t looking for perfection on the first or second order. You are looking to refine your pattern, and establish a rapport with the tailor so he can understand your quirks.

My first suit from Steed was not ideal and looks different from my later projects.

49C0ACB3-1E57-452E-B5C8-5F4C91F8706C.jpeg

4AEE4075-404C-491B-83C3-943C800B14DE.jpeg

386573D2-E76E-46CD-A7B8-AA01B714802B.jpeg

There’s also the fact that I don’t have time for multiple fittings or figuring what stylistic details don’t work for me when trying a new tailor. I can order a suit or jacket from my current tailors and it’s pretty much ready to go with out a fitting.

You’re also helping out your tailor and their business when you’re a regular customer.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree, however Foo specifically stated you aren’t looking for perfection on the first or second order. You are looking to refine your pattern, and establish a rapport with the tailor so he can understand your quirks.

My first suit from Steed was not ideal and looks different from my later projects.

View attachment 1891467
View attachment 1891473

View attachment 1891479

There’s also the fact that I don’t have time for multiple fittings or figuring what stylistic details don’t work for me when trying a new tailor. I can order a suit or jacket from my current tailors and it’s pretty much ready to go with out a fitting.

You’re also helping out your tailor and their business when you’re a regular customer.
11 I think was hyperbole and like most Foo-isms isn’t totally accurate. But I think there’s something to be said for the first couple orders being about learning each other’s preferences, navigating those and dialing in the details. I forget who said it but I internalized it and the first garment or pair of shoes I get made are the makers. I obviously pick the broad strokes and fabric/leather but will let them pick the details, styling, cut/last shape etc. After that I can nibble around the edges with preferences and what works for me and my eye.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1891467
View attachment 1891473

View attachment 1891479

First seems…very slim across the shoulders? I like the purple monstrosity (or whatever it’s affectionately named) a good deal more.

Crispyj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the same issue with Steed first order, divots in the shoulders due to narrow armhole and small sleeve head.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads