• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@dieworkwear I feel like here is a good place to ask you.

I finally am back in the office enough where I'm dressing daily and I got of my keister to finally start looking into getting shirts I'm really happy with.

Your recommendation of Ascot Chang before had been what I was going to do, but low and behold the Beverly Hills store has been permanently closed (which is too bad).

So I am now going to wait until my daughter can get vaccinated and New York travel for me resumes again.

If I'm doing it in NY, would you still recommend AC?

Anyone here think T+A is a better call?

Other options?

Thanks!
If you're going to NYC, you can also get customized Inglese shirts from No Man Walks Alone by making adjustments to their standard pattern. And you have the option of partially or fully handmade.

Krish the Fish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're going to NYC, you can also get customized Inglese shirts from No Man Walks Alone by making adjustments to their standard pattern. And you have the option of partially or fully handmade.
I’ve done this before but I think there’s a difference between what I think I need (sleeve length, maybe some changes on widths at chest or waist) and what a trained tailor with decades+ of experience measures me and has an eye for. Maybe it’s just me romanticizing tailoring or something but at the same time I think there is a difference

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve done this before but I think there’s a difference between what I think I need (sleeve length, maybe some changes on widths at chest or waist) and what a trained tailor with decades+ of experience measures me and has an eye for. Maybe it’s just me romanticizing tailoring or something but at the same time I think there is a difference

I used Hilditch & Key for my bespoke shirts before they stopped traveling to DC. I’ve made the switched to G. Inglese with the adjustments made by Greg. The first order had fit issues in the bicep and chest but this was corrected on the second order.
Now I just shoot Greg an email select the cloth and styling and my shirts ready to go in a few weeks.

Everyone’s bespoke adventure will be different but I recommend not putting it on a pedestal.

konstantis

Reaction score
Hi , my tailor is cutting for me 2 two suits from Fox Heritage. The one would be navy blue and the other one slate herringbone . My business environment is casual and no one is wearing a suit . The same is my social environment as i am living in a small island . I am planning to wear the suits just for fun , in some bars or restaurants and mostly because i love the bespoke items.The more of my suits are with hip pockets and a welt outbrest pocket . Should i go the same way or avoid the patch pockets for such a conservative fabric as flannel is . Thanks.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hi , my tailor is cutting for me 2 two suits from Fox Heritage. The one would be navy blue and the other one slate herringbone . My business environment is casual and no one is wearing a suit . The same is my social environment as i am living in a small island . I am planning to wear the suits just for fun , in some bars or restaurants and mostly because i love the bespoke items.The more of my suits are with hip pockets and a welt outbrest pocket . Should i go the same way or avoid the patch pockets for such a conservative fabric as flannel is . Thanks.

Flannel suits cry out for flapped pockets. Don't get patch pockets on a flannel suit.

If you get a flannel suit and plan to wear it casually, it's worth thinking about how you will wear it. Flannel suits look better with a tie. If You don't want to wear a tie with this suit, you can wear a thin turtleneck. But if you don't like turtlenecks and don't plan to wear a tie, you might want to go with another cloth.

konstantis

Reaction score
Flannel suits cry out for flapped pockets. Don't get patch pockets on a flannel suit.

If you get a flannel suit and plan to wear it casually, it's worth thinking about how you will wear it. Flannel suits look better with a tie. If You don't want to wear a tie with this suit, you can wear a thin turtleneck. But if you don't like turtlenecks and don't plan to wear a tie, you might want to go with another cloth.
Thank you sir . I am planning to wear them turtlenecks or ties .

Reactions: RSS

konstantis

Reaction score

You prefer flapped pockets over the jet pockets ?

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That was a beautiful store. The aroma of fine leather was intense. It was stocked with the finest examples of classic English leather brief cases, suit cases and carrying bags made from fine hides with wonderful finished hardware. Yet, many (most?) of these classic SAB's were far more attractive to look at and to collect than use for regular travel or to take to work in a changing world. Lighter, sleeker, technical materials were taking over these categories and looked more up-to-date along with the revised lighter weight romantic style of Ghurka Bags sold elsewhere. Sadly, on repeated visits, it appeared that these stunning classic examples of fine British leatherwork remained unsold.
Interestingly I switched to Ghurka when my SAB wore out. That said, I’m on my third Ghurka briefcase. The canvas ones wear out rather quickly.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interestingly I switched to Ghurka when my SAB wore out. That said, I’m on my third Ghurka briefcase. The canvas ones wear out rather quickly.

My first Ghurka bag was the No.5 Examiner in canvas and leather. I had it for 20 years. I still have the chestnut leather No. 2 Examiner that my wife bought me in 2003. It's ideal these days for overnight car trips.

• Love
Reactions: RSS

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads