• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a wool robe that looks great but I don't wear it very much because it's a bit scratchy. Would it be possible to have a tailor put a lining in it?
I think so. @dieworkwear mentioned this is possible.

IIRC, will have to get used to the slippery, cool feeling of it on your skin too.

I was thinking of getting the sleeves and upper back area lined.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think so. @dieworkwear mentioned this is possible.

IIRC, will have to get used to the slippery, cool feeling of it on your skin too.

I was thinking of getting the sleeves and upper back area lined.

I have a wool robe that looks great but I don't wear it very much because it's a bit scratchy. Would it be possible to have a tailor put a lining in it?

You can reline a sport coat, so I assume you can put in a lining into a dressing gown after it has been made. I have a Fox Flannel dressing gown with a lining in it. Around the upper back and sleeves. I don't think it's comfortable against bare skin -- it's a bit slippery and cold. I think you'll find that you wear it over PJs either way.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ahh gotcha...yeah I like most of their famous historical paintings but personally as much as it would be cool to have their linings, I feel it does not vibe with most of my commissions...which are mostly dinner jackets anyway! I may get one of these prints someday for a fun boucle jacket or an 80s inspired armani cut. Having one of the famous japanese woodblock prints as a lining would be dope!

Sorry if it came across as I was trying to knock you down...what I meant was for me personally it is one of those really fun ideas which does not tend to work out for me due to clashing formalities and minimnalist philosophies if that makes sense

No I dig - I would expect most people to frankly think my lining habit is garish. I get the minimalism thing, and I'm not sure I would have the gall to throw lining like that in a dinner jacket. My only bespoke one definitely does not have printed lining.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@dieworkwear I feel like here is a good place to ask you.

I finally am back in the office enough where I'm dressing daily and I got of my keister to finally start looking into getting shirts I'm really happy with.

Your recommendation of Ascot Chang before had been what I was going to do, but low and behold the Beverly Hills store has been permanently closed (which is too bad).

So I am now going to wait until my daughter can get vaccinated and New York travel for me resumes again.

If I'm doing it in NY, would you still recommend AC?

Anyone here think T+A is a better call?

Other options?

Thanks!

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
@dieworkwear I feel like here is a good place to ask you.

I finally am back in the office enough where I'm dressing daily and I got of my keister to finally start looking into getting shirts I'm really happy with.

Your recommendation of Ascot Chang before had been what I was going to do, but low and behold the Beverly Hills store has been permanently closed (which is too bad).

So I am now going to wait until my daughter can get vaccinated and New York travel for me resumes again.

If I'm doing it in NY, would you still recommend AC?

Anyone here think T+A is a better call?

Other options?

Thanks!

In the past, the three most recommended NCY shirtmakers here included CEGO, Paris Custom Shirt, and Geneva Custom Shirts. I don't know if the last two are still around. Most people went to CEGO. I haven't tried any of those three, so I can't comment on their work directly. However, every Christmas, I buy a friend a custom CEGO shirt since he has his pattern there and speaks highly of Carl's work. I know he loves his shirts.

I've stopped by Ascot Chang's Bev Hills and Beijing locations, and have been fitted at both locations. I think Nelson Chin does a better job. He travels twice a year through the United States as part of Ascot Chang's trunk shows. If you were to get a custom shirt from AC, I recommend doing it through their trunk shows.

MyTailor, now Divij Bespoke, is also located near you.

My impression is that many of these places are comparable. They all make machine-made shirts. I can't speak to anyone besides AC since I've only used AC for bespoke shirts. I think they do very consistent and precise work. In the US, some Italian traveling tailors also offer shirt services. Some make their shirts with a bit more ornamental handwork, if you're willing to pay for it. There's also something about the way that Italian shirtmakers make their collars that I think looks special. Ascot Chang has been able to create any collar I ask, but they haven't been able to replicate whatever Italian shirtmakers do to their collars.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the past, the three most recommended NCY shirtmakers here included CEGO, Paris Custom Shirt, and Geneva Custom Shirts. I don't know if the last two are still around. Most people went to CEGO. I haven't tried any of those three, so I can't comment on their work directly. However, every Christmas, I buy a friend a custom CEGO shirt since he has his pattern there and speaks highly of Carl's work. I know he loves his shirts.

I've stopped by Ascot Chang's Bev Hills and Beijing locations, and have been fitted at both locations. I think Nelson Chin does a better job. He travels twice a year through the United States as part of Ascot Chang's trunk shows. If you were to get a custom shirt from AC, I recommend doing it through their trunk shows.

MyTailor, now Divij Bespoke, is also located near you.

My impression is that many of these places are comparable. They all make machine-made shirts. I can't speak to anyone besides AC since I've only used AC for bespoke shirts. I think they do very consistent and precise work. In the US, some Italian traveling tailors also offer shirt services. Some make their shirts with a bit more ornamental handwork, if you're willing to pay for it. There's also something about the way that Italian shirtmakers make their collars that I think looks special. Ascot Chang has been able to create any collar I ask, but they haven't been able to replicate whatever Italian shirtmakers do to their collars.

Thanks, I'm not familiar with CEGO. I have some Divij shirts. I would describe them as good but not perfect. I might honestly be chasing a phantom, but who knows.

T+A I think has a 5 shirt minimum for a first order, do you know about CEGO and AC?

Thanks again!

EDIT: I'm lazy. Cego specifies 5 minimum on their website.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks, I'm not familiar with CEGO. I have some Divij shirts. I would describe them as good but not perfect. I might honestly be chasing a phantom, but who knows.

T+A I think has a 5 shirt minimum for a first order, do you know about CEGO and AC?

Thanks again!

EDIT: I'm lazy. Cego specifies 5 minimum on their website.

AC used to say four, but if you asked nicely, they often let you order three. It may actually be three now.

FlowableFill

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can send a shirt in to 100 Hands for them to measure and reproduce. You can order just one at a time but it has to be a gold line shirt ($450-$500) if there are significant changes to the pattern. The Armoury can help out. I'm in the process of getting my first shirt made so I can't comment on the quality but they have a fit guarantee on their website.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can send a shirt in to 100 Hands for them to measure and reproduce. You can order just one at a time but it has to be a gold line shirt ($450-$500) if there are significant changes to the pattern. The Armoury can help out. I'm in the process of getting my first shirt made so I can't comment on the quality but they have a fit guarantee on their website.

What exactly are you paying for at that price range?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Oh yea, 100 Hands. I handled one of their handmade shirts once and was impressed with the handwork.

Reactions: RSS

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What exactly are you paying for at that price range?
Their gold line is mainly (if not entirely) handmade - I’m fine with machine made and most of my shirts fall into that bucket but the gold line are definitely well done if thats your thing. Nice fabrics available, too.
Side seam:
E71B3A40-100E-4A47-AE6D-E3B536A9A164.jpeg
4DE0F389-4132-44C3-9772-7AA1D453CEA8.jpeg

07246522-8D8B-4DF2-A11D-BEF184B8D5F3.jpeg

EFV

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've got 5-6 shirts from 100 Hands. Top stuff! The seams are incredibly meticulous.

Krish the Fish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Crompton also talks about the Italians and their shirt collars… there must be something there (fwiw my shirts are all Inglese OTR from NMWA or Proper Cloth, so I have experience with Italian shirts but not quite sure if I have appreciation for their collars. Certainly the handwork aspect is nice but I think lost on me). Budd also travels to the US, any opinion yay or nay for them @dieworkwear ?

Krish the Fish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My wife and I talked about going to India to see the sights (she’s never been, I went every other year growing up to visit family but only saw the big tourist stuff once as a kid). I have had the crazy idea in my head that when we go, we take a detour to the 100Hands factory and see their work in action, get measured and have shirts made by them. Probably out of the realm of practicality and possibility though (and not just because of Covid)

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Here I am at age 70-something and for the first time since the 1970's I have not one ongoing bespoke clothing/shoe project. It's feels odd and yet strangely liberating. Of course, when I look at my closets I realize that I need no more tailored clothing. I do, however, wonder if a want will hit.

Now, I should be totally honest, I'm about to have a tweed coat made for Robert Rauschienbark. He sits in a corner of my credenza. Then perhaps something Chanel-esque for Peggy Guggenhound.

Attachments

• IMG_5204.jpg
    IMG_5204.jpg
    384.5 KB · Views: 52

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads