• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jimney

Reaction score
Looking for pictures of Anderson and Sheppard suits and jackets. Anyone willing to share? I’ve got an appointment in September when they come to Chicago, and looking for inspiration. I’m thinking a dark winter weight jacket (navy or green tweed?) and a pair of grey trousers.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Looking for pictures of Anderson and Sheppard suits and jackets. Anyone willing to share? I’ve got an appointment in September when they come to Chicago, and looking for inspiration. I’m thinking a dark winter weight jacket (navy or green tweed?) and a pair of grey trousers.
Theres an entire a&s thread

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I went there and fwiw, I don't think their tailoring is very good. Personally think you get more authentic A&S cut through Steed. They are also more precise in their tailoring.

Some discussion here:

jimney

Reaction score
I went there and fwiw, I don't think their tailoring is very good. Personally think you get more authentic A&S cut through Steed. They are also more precise in their tailoring.

Some discussion here:

I have actually browsed that thread quite a bit, and I’ve been trying to make a Steed appointment work for a couple years. Due to a combination of my traveling schedule (didn’t line up with the dates they were in town) and communication issues (they missed a lot of my emails, apparently because they were going to spam) it hasn’t worked out yet. I decided I’d go with whichever of Steed and A&S I could make an appointment with first.

I’m actually low key excited about A&S - it’s nice knowing they’ve been around for a while and taken care of their customers, and I know I’ll have long term support for my purchase. The fact they have a variety of exclusive fabrics also works in their favor (I know Steed has at least a couple).

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have actually browsed that thread quite a bit, and I’ve been trying to make a Steed appointment work for a couple years. Due to a combination of my traveling schedule (didn’t line up with the dates they were in town) and communication issues (they missed a lot of my emails, apparently because they were going to spam) it hasn’t worked out yet. I decided I’d go with whichever of Steed and A&S I could make an appointment with first.

I’m actually low key excited about A&S - it’s nice knowing they’ve been around for a while and taken care of their customers, and I know I’ll have long term support for my purchase. The fact they have a variety of exclusive fabrics also works in their favor (I know Steed has at least a couple).
You’re presumably not going to bail on this appointment (rightly so), but if you want to give Steed a shot, you might try making an Instagram and direct messaging them there. They’ve always been more than easily accessible from my experience…even for idiotic questions, of which I have many.

jimney

Reaction score
You’re presumably not going to bail on this appointment (rightly so), but if you want to give Steed a shot, you might try making an Instagram and direct messaging them there. They’ve always been more than easily accessible from my experience…even for idiotic questions, of which I have many.
They did eventually reply and we figured out the issue, and they’ve been responsive since then - I just don’t know when they’ll be back in the US and so I elected to try A&S. I did consider doing a commission with each to compare, but that’s a lot of money to drop at once.

Encathol Epistemia

Reaction score
I visited Mr. Di Pietro today to give him some trousers that I've gotten too... bootylicious for and some other minor things. I also spent more time ogling my covert coat, which is nearly finished, but he needs to adjust the length of the sleeves and finishing sewing the lining in. There's no hurry, of course, as I won't have a reason to wear it until November.

While I was there, he showed me a book: The Mongelli Modern Scientific Double Balance System of Designing, by G.A. Mongelli, which was the book that he used when he was first learning tailoring. I can't understand the diagrams, of course, but it's a fascinating tome. He tells me that it even has patterns for making coats for men on crutches.

Mongelli Method volume 1.jpg

'Modern' in this case meant the middle of the twentieth century, per Mr. Di Pietro's recording of its date of receipt, his address and his telephone number.

Mongelli Method Mr. Di Pietro's Name and Address.jpg

(Mr. Di Pietro was approximately sixteen at the time that he wrote that and living with his father in Lower Moyamensing, half a mile from where is present shop is)

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What coat would you all look for buying next?

I was thinking of either a camel polo coat, or a navy balmacaan, ala "Kaptain Sunshine Traveler's Coat."

I've reached the stages of "Have every piece of outerwear that I could possibly need" and also "I'm going to continue buying new coats".

My lifestyle is casual, I'm still a student, and if I do get a job within the next year, it seems like I can wear pretty much whatever I want.

I have the following:

-Rust mid-brown polo coat
-Mid grey peacoat
-Grey prince of wales check balmacaan
-Grey patchwork balmacaan

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I visited Mr. Di Pietro today to give him some trousers that I've gotten too... bootylicious for and some other minor things. I also spent more time ogling my covert coat, which is nearly finished, but he needs to adjust the length of the sleeves and finishing sewing the lining in. There's no hurry, of course, as I won't have a reason to wear it until November.

While I was there, he showed me a book: The Mongelli Modern Scientific Double Balance System of Designing, by G.A. Mongelli, which was the book that he used when he was first learning tailoring. I can't understand the diagrams, of course, but it's a fascinating tome. He tells me that it even has patterns for making coats for men on crutches.

View attachment 1643772

'Modern' in this case meant the middle of the twentieth century, per Mr. Di Pietro's recording of its date of receipt, his address and his telephone number.

View attachment 1643771

(Mr. Di Pietro was approximately sixteen at the time that he wrote that and living with his father in Lower Moyamensing, half a mile from where is present shop is)
@Encathol Epistemia
Would bet Mr. Di Pietro is happy to see you when you visit. It's great that you engage with him like you do.
Kudos E.E.

oscarthewild

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@induere_to
This book? Someone just gave me this a while ago. Never heard of him. View attachment 1639522
He is now very old. Some of the things he cut for me were very good. I have gained 20 lbs so they don't fit me anymore. Hoping to lose weight some day.

Was in a car earlier this week and the driver was talking to him. Would love to hear your opinion of his book.

Think he had another book too.

He made suits for a few movies probably in the 70s or 80s. Think he also made something for Roger Moore and also for Gregory Peck in Omen.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not a customer of A & S or Steed for that matter. But I love this A& S jacket:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Not a customer of A & S or Steed for that matter. But I love this A& S jacket:

Jacket was made in 1985, which means it was likely cut by Dennis Halberry (he retired in 1993 and passed away in 2015).

That's the thing when looking at A&S: you have to look at the garments from the perspective of who cut the jacket, not the house label.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, the same would hold true for this Caraceni masterpiece, also from the mid- 80s.
It certainly puts the neophyte bespoke client in a bind, unless there are finished examples
of the different cutter's work to examine.

as14.jpg caraceni from hand sewn canvas.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads