• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat, except substitute Carl's stuff for vintage linen button-fronts. I have a few double breast pocket, linen numbers from 1990s Ralph that are billowy and boxy and provide excellent breathability in summertime. A couple are even Western shirts :ducks:
There comes a point about four weeks a year where I just can't even care about style. performance fabric polos and aloha shirts. Thats it. (And lower half coverings)

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
There comes a point about four weeks a year where I just can't even care about style. performance fabric polos and aloha shirts. Thats it. (And lower half coverings)

We're rapidly approaching The Dead Zone. Even for as insufferably yuppie as I am, I can't abide by the poly polos. Luckily I have plenty of try-hard alternatives at my disposal (namely bootleg band merch tees) to pair with Baggies or swim trunks.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Anything for you, Derek! :)

Here's one example of each, based on what was readily hanging in the closet.

The first is a muted olive, 100% linen shirt. The second, a faded blue Western shirt, is also 100% linen. The third is the traditional Polo Ralph Lauren Dungaree chambray.

I buttoned them to better display the pocket situations, but I almost exclusively wear them open with shorts or linen pents.

View attachment 1633261
View attachment 1633262 View attachment 1633263

I have a couple of vintage Polo pieces like the last photo you posted, and also wear them open and layered over a t-shirt. I like the look, although I think it looks better if you're physically in shape (and I'm not in shape)

I understand people's fatigue over safari jackets. I'm tepid on them, but again think that CM is kind of a no man's land once you leave suits and sport coats. Personally, I don't like safari jackets when they look too tailored and #sartorial, like this:

safari jacket.jpeg

But I think they work if they're worn looser and open, and not paired with dressy things. Like this:

tumblr_nssgm3cpGj1qa2j8co4_r1_1280.jpeg
tumblr_plqvbiycKJ1qfbji5o1_1280.jpeg
tumblr_nssgm3cpGj1qa2j8co2_r1_500.jpeg

That said, I also think there are better CM-ish options. Like this grey cotton Stoffa jacket

OU002_MidGreyFlightJacket_1080x.jpeg

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually prefer the ones with belts, as they avoid that too-tailored look, but they don't suit everyone and look better on a slim frame:

1000.jpg
54fd0afb1ec1aee67b7f164ee5e00aba.jpg
1625161166136.png

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
I have a couple of vintage Polo pieces like the last photo you posted, and also wear them open and layered over a t-shirt. I like the look, although I think it looks better if you're physically in shape (and I'm not in shape)

I understand people's fatigue over safari jackets. I'm tepid on them, but again think that CM is kind of a no man's land once you leave suits and sport coats. Personally, I don't like safari jackets when they look too tailored and #sartorial, like this:

View attachment 1633271

But I think they work if they're worn looser and open, and not paired with dressy things. Like this:

View attachment 1633268 View attachment 1633270 View attachment 1633269

That said, I also think there are better CM-ish options. Like this grey cotton Stoffa jacket

View attachment 1633274
[/SPILER]

While I wouldn't call myself wildly in-shape, I do think my body type (broad shoulders and pronounced chest) helps to create the coveted V-shape when shirts are worn open. I agree that if you have a narrower or less athletic frame it can look a little potato sack-like.

Somewhat random, but if that third picture (the grey shark skin jacket) is Loro Piana then I have that exact jacket. Though my wife basically stole it from me.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Half of the issue with rolling up the sleeves on those is that you're admitting it is too damn hot but still want to have an archaic piece of clothing because.....peacocking.

It's part of the worst elements if iGentry.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, this guy is so iGenty. I bet he posts on Styleforum.

tumblr_nssgm3cpGj1qa2j8co5_r1_500.jpg

Last edited:

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Half of the issue with rolling up the sleeves on those is that you're admitting it is too damn hot but still want to have an archaic piece of clothing because.....peacocking.

It's part of the worst elements if iGentry.

I guess I'm weirder than I thought. I like to roll sleeves up on casual jackets/sweaters when I can, hot or not.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Salad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've looked at safari jackets for awhile but I just can't do it for reasons already mentioned here. I think a nice alternative is a linen or linen mix chore coat. Another specific alternative I keep looking at is the Doppiaa Aaderbale jacket. There is something about this mix of blazer and chore coat that is perfect to my eye.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I guess I'm weirder than I thought. I like to roll sleeves up on casual jackets/sweaters when I can, hot or not.
In certain instances I think the look of rolled up jacket sleeves kind of work. But like sweaters. Why not just take it off?

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Like so many iconic garments the "safari jacket" , as we know, it originated in the British military:

Here we see it worn by two of the commanders of the Burma campaign:

General Wingate Field Marshal Slim
Orde_Wingate.jpg
slim1.gif

Last edited:

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's the thing: at one point it had merit and utility and fit with social expectations. Now it does not.

To each his own. It's definitely not something everyone can pull off, I think.

Re rolled sleeves: I'm not really sure, to tell you the truth. There's just something comfortable about a shetland/cashmere sweater with the sleeves rolled up the arm. Perhaps I'm becoming a hot dad:

129012928_6abfa44892.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads