• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@ValidusLA how do these wear compared to the standard bemberg/cupro linings?

Mmm ok so... silk doesn't wear as nice as cupro. This is sorta just....the way it is.
But there are degrees of silk. My tailor actually owns a somewhat recently acquired silk importer / printer. He has been extremely complimentary of the Rampley and Co silk quality. It is nicely light for how durable it is etc.

I don't generally put these in anything under 10-10.5 oz. I certainly would go for cupro (or half lined) on any traveler or hot weather jacket.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I find silk to be hotter than cupro and I don't like it.

I think this is what I alluded to in the post above, isn't it?

If you are concerned with comfort above all other concerns, silk is not the way to go.

Encathol Epistemia

Reaction score
I just saw John Di Pietro this afternoon for a basted fitting. (He normally isn't in the shop on Tuesdays during the plague, but he was in the neighborhood for a dentist's appointment)

It will be a single-breasted, two-button ventless jacket with cloverleaf lapels in a wool and cashmere Zegna fabric that I had been noticing on his shelves almost since I started visiting him.

Dark Plaid Jacket Basted Body.JPG

This is the jacket in its basted state. Mr. Di Pietro tells me that he had to use a flashlight for the pattern matching. (N.b. It's currently mocked up with side and center vents as I was originally unsure as to what I wanted, but those will all be sewn closed)

Dark Plaid Jacket Basted Sleeve.JPG

As a testament to what lighting can do, this is what the flash on my camera did to the cloth when I took this close-in picture of the arm. It's rather washed out, but shows the colors of the plaid a little better.

The jacket will also have a barchetta pocket, cuffs and mother-of-pearl buttons; it's not going to be a subtle garment.

Dege & Skinner Curved Pockets.jpg

I had also hoped to have crescent pockets like these by Dege & Skinner, but after having examined the pictures and consulted with several colleagues, Mr. Di Pietro couldn't figure how to do it out. The shape of the flap is no trouble, but he couldn't determine how the jet along the top was constructed. Instead it will have hacking pockets with flaps that curve at the front.

Psyko

Reaction score
So wanted to share my experience with Sartoria Pastena Elegance. The commission was organized remotely. First off, Antonio is super accessable on WhatsApp and answers all the questions one might have. He is extremely service minded and pleasant to communicate with.

As for the jacket, I'm happy with it for a first commission. There is some rumpling on both sleeves and a bit tight around the armholes.

I asked for an extended shoulder and longer length than I've had previously. I might reduce the shoulder seam and back length for the next commission, as the spalla camicia-shoulder might not hold an extended shoulder as well as other shoulder constructions. The length is also the longest I've had a jacket made up in and I might reduce it 1 to 1.5 cm for the next jacket. I appreciate some input on these points, though.

As for adjustments on this current jacket, I will lengthen the sleeves and take in the lower back to give it some more shape.

All in all, I fully recommend Pastena Elegance.

Screenshot_20210131-185935_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210131-185931_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210131-185926_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20210131-185921_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So wanted to share my experience with Sartoria Pastena Elegance. The commission was organized remotely. First off, Antonio is super accessable on WhatsApp and answers all the questions one might have. He is extremely service minded and pleasant to communicate with.

As for the jacket, I'm happy with it for a first commission. There is some rumpling on both sleeves and a bit tight around the armholes.

I asked for an extended shoulder and longer length than I've had previously. I might reduce the shoulder seam and back length for the next commission, as the spalla camicia-shoulder might not hold an extended shoulder as well as other shoulder constructions. The length is also the longest I've had a jacket made up in and I might reduce it 1 to 1.5 cm for the next jacket. I appreciate some input on these points, though.

As for adjustments on this current jacket, I will lengthen the sleeves and take in the lower back to give it some more shape.

View attachment 1546417
View attachment 1546418
View attachment 1546419 View attachment 1546420

If you're going to stick with the length I would add more drape to the chest and ask for less waist suppression on the next jacket.

Crispyj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1546417
View attachment 1546418
Looks great! I would agree on narrowing the shoulders slightly. Length isn't too bad, you could shorten it 1.5cm like you mentioned. I actually made the sleeve head 1cm smaller and higher for the second order haha.

dan'l

Reaction score

View attachment 1546417
View attachment 1546418
Is that the default gorge height? If you keep the current length, perhaps lowering the gorge and widening the lapels a bit would balance it out.

Overall quite good for a remote order! Thanks for sharing.

reidd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the shoulder width. Maybe reduce just a touch on the next commission but I don't think its so wide as to tear down this jacket. Looks good IMO.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

View attachment 1546417
View attachment 1546418

@Psyko
Removing my comments. Didn't think it was right or fair to comment on a jacket made without the tailor and client meeting. I saved the comments and will send to you privately if you want them.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads