• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's a traditional Tuscan overcoat called a Casentino. My Naples tailor apprenticed a few years in Tuscany and learned how to make it there. I'll use it to walk around on cold days when I'm wearing a sweater (jumper).

I thought Casentino was the type of wool (therefor could be used to make any style of coat). That sort of shaggy nubbyy wool.

Either way, that thing is KILLER!

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought Casentino was the type of wool (therefor could be used to make any style of coat). That sort of shaggy nubbyy wool.

Either way, that thing is KILLER!
Thanks. Casentino is absolutely a type of fabric that is sine qua non to a Casentino coat. You cannot have a Casentino coat without Casentino fabric. But, as I understand it, a jacket made of Casentino fabric is just that: a jacket made of Casentino fabric. A Casentino (as a noun not an adjective) is a coat made with Casentino fabric that has other characteristics, e.g., double breasted, half belt, turn up cuffs (I chose not to do that element), etc.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have a Casentino overcoat (unlined) that I picked up from the Rubinacci OTR line a couple of years ago. Really like it a lot.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Casentino is absolutely a type of fabric that is sine qua non to a Casentino coat. You cannot have a Casentino coat without Casentino fabric. But, as I understand it, a jacket made of Casentino fabric is just that: a jacket made of Casentino fabric. A Casentino (as a noun not an adjective) is a coat made with Casentino fabric that has other characteristics, e.g., double breasted, half belt, turn up cuffs (I chose not to do that element), etc.

I appreciate this thorough explanation. Thank you.

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In action while looking for furniture for the new crib:
B6A69E98-3167-46C3-87BB-6CFF35A16833.jpeg
64D6156E-3B1B-44A4-B9BE-3D8A86BDC9DF.jpeg

clothingfun

Reaction score
Hello again and I hope everyone is well. I wanted to stop in briefly and say how much I am enjoying the recent activity here regarding overcoats. All the garments being posted look exceptionally handsome. I also find the discussions about the fabrics being chosen very interesting as I have no knowledge or experience with this type of thing.

I will never own something like this due to the fact that where I live I don’t have much of a need for winter clothing. Even in the months of December and January a coat like this just wouldn’t see any use. I’m still having a load of fun looking here so thanks for sharing.

If nobody minds, a quick question. I noticed on the posterior of the coats there appears to be a row of buttons midline below the waist. Is there a functional purpose for this or is it merely an aesthetic type of thing? Just curious.

Once again, great looking stuff and thanks for posting!

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello again and I hope everyone is well. I wanted to stop in briefly and say how much I am enjoying the recent activity here regarding overcoats. All the garments being posted look exceptionally handsome. I also find the discussions about the fabrics being chosen very interesting as I have no knowledge or experience with this type of thing.

I will never own something like this due to the fact that where I live I don’t have much of a need for winter clothing. Even in the months of December and January a coat like this just wouldn’t see any use. I’m still having a load of fun looking here so thanks for sharing.

If nobody minds, a quick question. I noticed on the posterior of the coats there appears to be a row of buttons midline below the waist. Is there a functional purpose for this or is it merely an aesthetic type of thing? Just curious.

Once again, great looking stuff and thanks for posting!
It's to fully open the vent if I understood correctly.

reidd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's to fully open the vent if I understood correctly.

You're right. Different overcoats and tailors have different construction methods for the rear vent to allow movement. I have one with more of an accordion folded vent without buttons. The buttoned one is considered the more sporty style.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In a traditional bespoke process (basted, forward, and final fittings), at what point is the gorge height able to be raised or lowered? Are these things that can be adjusted at the basted or forward fitting, or is it a done deal once the fabric is cut?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
In a traditional bespoke process (basted, forward, and final fittings), at what point is the gorge height able to be raised or lowered? Are these things that can be adjusted at the basted or forward fitting, or is it a done deal once the fabric is cut?

I believe the gorge is set after the forward fitting.

I find it hard to judge a coat during the basted and forward fittings. I usually just see if the jacket is long enough and if the chest feels comfortable. And answer questions if the tailor asks. For the gorge, the jacket is in such a half-made stage, I've never been able to judge until the buttonhole has been cut, so it requires clear communication with the tailor.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe the gorge is set after the forward fitting.

I find it hard to judge a coat during the basted and forward fittings. I usually just see if the jacket is long enough and if the chest feels comfortable. And answer questions if the tailor asks. For the gorge, the jacket is in such a half-made stage, I've never been able to judge until the buttonhole has been cut, so it requires clear communication with the tailor.

Thanks! Mainly concerned about the gorge height on a Neapolitan-style commission, where I would want it higher than standard but not too high like I've seen on some of the Orazio Luciano stuff

I'll be sure to include a couple of sample pictures of what I'm after when the time comes and trunk shows resume.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads