• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
he got a coat from marling&evans offering but i don't like the hand of it. i had some sample and was too 'flat' for my taste.

the fox cloth looks to have a somewhat luxe-finish, is this right? looked pretty on the polocoat that's linked on pinterest.
but i need something i can wear with some streetwear stuff thus looking for something a bit more unrefined :)
think of the NBxALD add.

I wouldn't call it luxe. It's pretty tweedy looking, but just feels softer than your average tweed.

I also have some Magee swatches here, but all in jacketing weight. Not sure if they're comparable to the fabrics you're looking at.

Fox is pretty good about sending swatches. If you email them a reference number, they'll send you a swatch for a very small fee (I think like $1.50 or something). My only concern with it is the color. It's a light brown and mid-brown herringbone, which gives it a sort of tan color. If you're looking for something darker, this might not be right for you. I would say the shade is just barely one shade lighter than the black/white herringbone you listed above.

undertheskin

Reaction score
I wouldn't call it luxe. It's pretty tweedy looking, but just feels softer than your average tweed.

I also have some Magee swatches here, but all in jacketing weight. Not sure if they're comparable to the fabrics you're looking at.

Fox is pretty good about sending swatches. If you email them a reference number, they'll send you a swatch for a very small fee (I think like $1.50 or something). My only concern with it is the color. It's a light brown and mid-brown herringbone, which gives it a sort of tan color. If you're looking for something darker, this might not be right for you. I would say the shade is just barely one shade lighter than the black/white herringbone you listed above.

yeah, the color is wrong but as i understand fox' offerings the make of your swatch should be the same as this one which fits the color spectrum i am looking for way better:

ty derek!

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
yeah, the color is wrong but as i understand fox' offerings the make of your swatch should be the same as this one which fits the color spectrum i am looking for way better:

ty derek!

If I can, I'll try to take a quick snap of the fabric tomorrow and post it here. The link you posted doesn't look like the swatch I have in my hand, but I'll snap a pic so you can decide whether you want to request a swatch from them.

Bespoke DJP

Reaction score
Finally, I don't know if @konstantis does have this image, it is the same Lovat cloth's sport coat iteration:

Best,

Dimitris

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 78

undertheskin

Reaction score
If I can, I'll try to take a quick snap of the fabric tomorrow and post it here. The link you posted doesn't look like the swatch I have in my hand, but I'll snap a pic so you can decide whether you want to request a swatch from them.

ye, my bad. it's wcw 601 vs wjm 601. definitely not alike.

i'll just ask douglas if he has something for my purpose :)

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Finally, I don't know if @konstantis does have this image, it is the same Lovat cloth's sport coat iteration:

Best,

Dimitris

I believe there are two different versions of that cloth -- one pale and the other yellow.

The yellow one:

42A138B9-89A1-477D-B6D0-8784B3A16F84.jpeg

The pale one:

image.png

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Interesting!

Could it be attributed to lighting conditions?

I don't know about Lovat, but the pattern traditionally comes in two colors. P&H Hartwist 32136 is a true Russell check. It's a little lighter/ more beige than 32137, which is darker/ more golden. I find the 32137 version easier to wear, but if you prefer the lighter color, Alsport also has something similar in 2403.

My Russell check tweed sport coat from Steed:

tumblr_inline_p827hzuFkS1qfex1b_500.jpg

tumblr_inline_p827hzIcbR1qfex1b_500.jpg
tumblr_inline_p827i0HPlQ1qfex1b_500.jpg

The P&H Hartwist bunch. These two fabrics are next to each other.

tumblr_inline_p827i0nYKF1qfex1b_500.jpg

I bought my coat because of this photo of George Frazier, who wrote The Art of Wearing Clothes and various jazz essays

tumblr_inline_p827i0ZOET1qfex1b_500.jpg

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
he got a coat from marling&evans offering but i don't like the hand of it. i had some sample and was too 'flat' for my taste.

the fox cloth looks to have a somewhat luxe-finish, is this right? looked pretty on the polocoat that's linked on pinterest.
but i need something i can wear with some streetwear stuff thus looking for something a bit more unrefined :)
think of the NBxALD add.
That's correct. I went with M&E and not Magee. Interesting to see our different interpretations. I took the 'flat' hand as "Wow, this is softer for such a heavy tweed!" It worked for me due to the very bold pattern. M&E used to be under Huddersfield I think and they described the cloth as shetland wool.

I have the light grey Magee swatch you're looking at. Honestly I don't think the quality on any of these type of tweeds is worth being concerned about, they should all be decent. I also found it softer, stretchy and spongey.

I was going to go with that exact swatch before I became enamoured with the M&E. There was nothing wrong with it, I just found it boring.

Andrea Seoul looks to be using those Magee tweeds if you want a rough idea on how they look.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

undertheskin

Reaction score
That's correct. I went with M&E and not Magee. Interesting to see our different interpretations. I took the 'flat' hand as "Wow, this is softer for such a heavy tweed!" It worked for me due to the very bold pattern. M&E used to be under Huddersfield I think and they described the cloth as shetland wool.

I have the light grey Magee swatch you're looking at. Honestly I don't think the quality on any of these type of tweeds is worth being concerned about, they should all be decent. I also found it softer, stretchy and spongey.

I was going to go with that exact swatch before I became enamoured with the M&E. There was nothing wrong with it, I just found it boring.

Andrea Seoul looks to be using those Magee tweeds if you want a rough idea on how they look.

ye that's where i got the idea to browse magee came from. i am more drawn to the grey/black with colorless speckles tho.
i can see the point of having a more refined touch and that sure is what many want but i guess i just wouldn't enjoy to wear it with denim,cords,sweatpants and sneakers :)

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
ye that's where i got the idea to browse magee came from. i am more drawn to the grey/black with colorless speckles tho.
i can see the point of having a more refined touch and that sure is what many want but i guess i just wouldn't enjoy to wear it with denim,cords,sweatpants and sneakers :)

Any reason why you don't want to do ready-to-wear?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads