• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

konstantis

Reaction score
Elementary my dear @aristoi bcn!

Back to present times, I concur with the balmacaan proposition.

Best,

Dimitris
Hi Dimitris. Thank you for your reply. My tailor says that the pattern would be really nice for a Chesterfield coat also , but I think the balmacaan is the only way to go as I would like to wear it with casual clothes.

Bespoke DJP

Reaction score
Hi Dimitris. Thank you for your reply. My tailor says that the pattern would be really nice for a Chesterfield coat also , but I think the balmacaan is the only way to go as I would like to wear it with casual clothes.

Hi Konstantis,

You are welcome!

I really don't see this fabric in a Chesterfield overcoat, it is known that this is the most formal of all overcoat make-ups, and as such, in my book it calls for a solid (or at the most of a very subtle) fabric.

Your fabric on the other hand, has an interesting design which stands out and will be very well suited to a balmacaan overcoat, especially given your stated purpose.

Best,

Dimitris

konstantis

Reaction score
Hi Konstantis,

You are welcome!

I really don't see this fabric in a Chesterfield overcoat, it is known that this is the most formal of all overcoat make-ups, and as such, in my book it calls for a solid (or at the most of a very subtle) fabric.

Your fabric on the other hand, has an interesting design which stands out and will be very well suited to a balmacaan overcoat, especially given your stated purpose.

Best,

Dimitris
Hi Dimitris. I agree with you about the “informality” of the fabric as a Chesterfield. Although here are some photos of that fabric , tailored in formal overcoats.

Attachments

• 42A138B9-89A1-477D-B6D0-8784B3A16F84.jpeg
    42A138B9-89A1-477D-B6D0-8784B3A16F84.jpeg
    297.8 KB · Views: 31
  • CC15457A-B0BA-4CAA-BFD9-34DDD82CFCDD.jpeg
    CC15457A-B0BA-4CAA-BFD9-34DDD82CFCDD.jpeg
    80.1 KB · Views: 36
  • E36A4ADF-18CB-4D0F-97DA-E67384E3DD4C.jpeg
    E36A4ADF-18CB-4D0F-97DA-E67384E3DD4C.jpeg
    275.8 KB · Views: 295

Bespoke DJP

Reaction score
My dear @konstantis,

I do not want to monopolize the thread, but I really, really do not feel the above iterations.

In my eyes, the best choice is the one that you have made and I hope that you will follow.

Finally, IMO the archetypal Chesterfield overcoat was the Roger Moore' s navy cashmere DB one in the 1973 James Bond film "Live and Let Die":

1606162582843.png

Best,

Dimitris

dan'l

Reaction score
I side with Dimitris on this. I don‘t think it really works as a Chesterfield. Personally that fabric (Russell check?) screams sporting coat for me, i.e. something one would wear while hunting or shooting.

konstantis

Reaction score
I side with Dimitris on this. I don‘t think it really works as a Chesterfield. Personally that fabric (Russell check?) screams sporting coat for me, i.e. something one would wear while hunting or shooting.
Thanks for you reply. Would you see it as a balmacaan?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That fabric isn't right for a Chesterfield.

To be honest, I have a sport coat in a similar fabric and find it hard to wear. I imagine it would be even harder as a coat. Personally would go for a different fabric for a Bal.

dan'l

Reaction score
^I thought you had one, Derek. Didn‘t you post pics before, or am I imaging things?

@konstantis , I like patterned overcoats, but I tend to agree with dww that a different fabric would be more suitable for your project.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^I thought you had one, Derek. Didn‘t you post pics before, or am I imaging things?

@konstantis , I like patterned overcoats, but I tend to agree with dww that a different fabric would be more suitable for your project.

I have a sport coat in that cloth. Not from Lovat, but a Russell check. I like it partly because it's associated in my mind with an author I really like. But I find it somewhat difficult to wear -- sort of horse blankety, a bit yellow, and maybe a bit too old school for my taste. I don't think it's a bad cloth, but I do think it's particular and somewhat hard to wear.

As a coat, I would find it too much. For a Bal, I would just go with a more subtle pattern -- a chunky herringbone, a large scale brown/ black houndstooth tweed, maybe even a Donegal.

undertheskin

Reaction score
can someone recommend a nice beefy dark grey wide herringbone fabric with some body to hang well for a balmacaan?

i like these:

but has anyone made one from magees tweed and speak to their quality?

edit: i didn't like vbc, drapers, marling and molloys overcoat offerings and did not manage to take a look at harrisons.

konstantis

Reaction score
I have a sport coat in that cloth. Not from Lovat, but a Russell check. I like it partly because it's associated in my mind with an author I really like. But I find it somewhat difficult to wear -- sort of horse blankety, a bit yellow, and maybe a bit too old school for my taste. I don't think it's a bad cloth, but I do think it's particular and somewhat hard to wear.

As a coat, I would find it too much. For a Bal, I would just go with a more subtle pattern -- a chunky herringbone, a large scale brown/ black houndstooth tweed, maybe even a Donegal.
I see what you mean . When i bought the fabric 1.5 years ago , i i liked the charm of the old school you mentioned . Just wondering if i made the right decision before sending it to the tailor because for sure is a loud pattern.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I see what you mean . When i bought the fabric 1.5 years ago , i i liked the charm of the old school you mentioned . Just wondering if i made the right decision before sending it to the tailor because for sure is a loud pattern.

I think the fabric can work if you like that old school kind of look. Sometimes I'm in the mood for it and sometimes I'm not. But if you're going to use the fabric, I would use it for a sport coat, personally. I just think if you use it for a coat, the coat will be so loud, it will overpower the rest of what you're wearing, rather than complementing it.

can someone recommend a nice beefy dark grey wide herringbone fabric with some body to hang well for a balmacaan?

i like these:

but has anyone made one from magees tweed and speak to their quality?

edit: i didn't like vbc, drapers, marling and molloys overcoat offerings and did not manage to take a look at harrisons.

I don't have any clothes made from Magee, but I believe @FlyingHorker recently got a coat made from one of their tweeds. If you haven't seen it already, Fox has a large scale herringbone tweed in a light brown/ mid-brown color combination. I happen to have a swatch sitting next to me, but I can't remember if it's new or from years ago. The reference number is A1677/15 if you want to follow-up with the company. It's soft without being spongey. Seems nice.

undertheskin

Reaction score
I don't have any clothes made from Magee, but I believe @FlyingHorker recently got a coat made from one of their tweeds. If you haven't seen it already, Fox has a large scale herringbone tweed in a light brown/ mid-brown color combination. I happen to have a swatch sitting next to me, but I can't remember if it's new or from years ago. The reference number is A1677/15 if you want to follow-up with the company. It's soft without being spongey. Seems nice.

he got a coat from marling&evans offering but i don't like the hand of it. i had some sample and was too 'flat' for my taste.

the fox cloth looks to have a somewhat luxe-finish, is this right? looked pretty on the polocoat that's linked on pinterest.
but i need something i can wear with some streetwear stuff thus looking for something a bit more unrefined :)
think of the NBxALD add.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads