• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Buttoning point looks about right as is. Your new mark is WAY too low, would be a mistake. If you do want to lower it, no more than a cm or .5".

Hard to be exact because the photo is taken too close. Need a view from a distance to be more objective.
Fronts look short and maybe the total length is a bit short.

FlowableFill

Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I saw it in person it looked fine but now that I'm looking at pictures of it I start questioning all the little details.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Don’t put too much into analyzing a photo. They aren’t as accurate as what you see in the mirror. Is your tailor giving you any direction or advise?
Trouser is worn very low in this photo and can’t be sure if they sitting on your hips properly. That is distorting the proportion/ balance of the jacket and trouser. The camera angle is creating a distorted view as well.

Egdon Heath

Reaction score
Can be done on SB jackets, have done it several times.
I welcome this news. Can you be more specific? I have never discovered more than 1/4 to 3/8 inches at the hem near the opening on any SB jacket opened for shortening. Have never tried to lengthen a jacket thinking it not possibe (or necessary at 5'8") Is an angle involved? Or magic? Thnx. Muchly.

FlowableFill

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My tailor has been advising me. You're right, I'm overanalyzing the photo. I just put on a previous commission from the same tailor and it looks fine.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
X-Post from Cloth thread

Opening the package for the first time put a grin on my face. This fabric feels like what you'd expect for tweed as konstantis mentioned: stretchy, spongey, hairy, scratchy, and THICK. This has some serious heft to it.

Turns out, 4m is a lot more than I thought. This is a verified horse blanket. I couldn't get the entire length in one picture.

20200926-111448-HDR.jpg

My tailor said he only needed 3.5m, I only just realized I probably could've requested 3.5 instead of 4 unfortunately.

Still though, I'm having trouble imagining how an entire 3.5m of this stuff is required to make one coat.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
X-Post from Cloth thread

Opening the package for the first time put a grin on my face. This fabric feels like what you'd expect for tweed as konstantis mentioned: stretchy, spongey, hairy, scratchy, and THICK. This has some serious heft to it.

Turns out, 4m is a lot more than I thought. This is a verified horse blanket. I couldn't get the entire length in one picture.

20200926-111448-HDR.jpg

My tailor said he only needed 3.5m, I only just realized I probably could've requested 3.5 instead of 4 unfortunately.

Still though, I'm having trouble imagining how an entire 3.5m of this stuff is required to make one coat.
He may need all of the 4m once he starts cutting. Plaids sometimes require extra length as you have to place the pattern pieces specifically to match the plaid. You can’t just move the pattern pieces closer together to save space and cloth.
Raglan sleeves are much longer than regular sleeves as they extend to the neck and the plaid has to match up with the coat body.This takes more cloth.
Topcoat patterns are long and wide.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He may need all of the 4m once he starts cutting. Plaids sometimes require extra length as you have to place the pattern pieces specifically to match the plaid. You can’t just move the pattern pieces closer together to save space and cloth.
Raglan sleeves are much longer than regular sleeves as they extend to the neck and the plaid has to match up with the coat body.This takes more cloth.
Topcoat patterns are long and wide.
Oh awesome, good to know my 'mistake' was not a mistake, I'm glad I bought 4m then.

Thanks for the tips for the future as well, I didn't even think about pattern matching and raglan sleeves requiring more cloth.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve been using John DiPietro for alterations recently after @Encathol Epistemia has been showcasing his work. It’s nice to know that I can trust him to do more complicated things than a run of the mill dry cleaning shop.

I was at his shop today to pick up some trousers I won on Luxeswap and was chatting it up with John when this beauty caught my attention out of the corner of my eye.

it was a lounge suit John had made for himself in the 70s, that is too good not to share. He even pointed out how he made sure to pattern match the breasts on the back like it was a plaid jacket.

I feel like if the scummy 70s motif is back in style, then John deserves to have his moment in the sun again. I’m not sure if this (or anywhere) is the appropriate place to share this, I figured since this thread is quasi-familiar with him it would make the most sense here.

Attachments

• DCBBF8E7-6AEC-46CD-B805-8188BB266946.jpeg
    DCBBF8E7-6AEC-46CD-B805-8188BB266946.jpeg
    161.7 KB · Views: 144
  • A8635BCA-F572-4186-AD91-BA669A70DFDA.jpeg
    A8635BCA-F572-4186-AD91-BA669A70DFDA.jpeg
    187.8 KB · Views: 127

Encathol Epistemia

Reaction score
I’ve been using John DiPietro for alterations recently after @Encathol Epistemia has been showcasing his work. It’s nice to know that I can trust him to do more complicated things than a run of the mill dry cleaning shop.

I believe that Mr. Di Pietro showed me the trousers that you had asked to have altered when I visited to retrieve my dinner jacket on the 12th. I'm pleased that you are satisfied with his work. He had little to do for some months earlier in lockdown, but the last time I was there he seemed to be doing pretty good trade. He takes considerable pride in his work, but in my experience also gives pretty conscientious service to customers. I have to admit that I sometimes have underestimated him; he will eagerly show suits that he made thirty years ago, but are still in good condition, but I find him by and large to be unpretentious, willing admit doubt or uncertainty about what he can or cannot do. When making my very dark green suit he wasn't sure if he could do the half-belted back that I'd suggested, but a few weeks later he delivered it with one neatly in place and even suggested it for a sport coat that I commissioned recently, although I demurred at that, since I didn't think that it would fit, although I probably have time to change my mind.

He also has a very low regard for dry cleaning tailors, which my own experience suggest is warranted. I should share the bizarre things that I got when I asked for stem holders to be added tor two of my old internet made-to-measure suits one of these days. Nobody had asked Mr. Di Pietro for them in many years and he usually omits lapel buttonholes unless asked, but he knew what there were and how to make them, which is a rather basic skill, but evidently now rare. (Mr. Genuardi also knows them and includes them on all of his jackets, but I might be his only client who has ever asked about them or known what they are, probably because I'm weird.)

I was at his shop today to pick up some trousers I won on Luxeswap and was chatting it up with John when this beauty caught my attention out of the corner of my eye.

it was a lounge suit John had made for himself in the 70s, that is too good not to share. He even pointed out how he made sure to pattern match the breasts on the back like it was a plaid jacket.

I feel like if the scummy 70s motif is back in style, then John deserves to have his moment in the sun again. I’m not sure if this (or anywhere) is the appropriate place to share this, I figured since this thread is quasi-familiar with him it would make the most sense here.

There can't be many tailors who have pattern-matched breasts!

I've somehow never seen that one before. It's quite... striking. I would almost surely never want something quite like that for myself, but it's a Hell of a piece and I admire the audacity. I'm probably be there sometimes soon to retrieve a suit that I gave him to press, so I'll have to make sure to see it. I've gotten some sense that he likes things that have some 'flair' to them.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any current bespoke clients of Richard Anderson here? I just saw an email that he's offering 20% off bespoke commissions right now.

Bespoke DJP

Reaction score
...it was a lounge suit John had made for himself in the 70s, that is too good not to share. He even pointed out how he made sure to pattern match the breasts on the back like it was a plaid jacket.

I feel like if the scummy 70s motif is back in style, then John deserves to have his moment in the sun again.

"King of Soho" jacket!

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any current bespoke clients of Richard Anderson here? I just saw an email that he's offering 20% off bespoke commissions right now.
Just saw that too but they are still not coming to the US - so I don't know if I will be able to take advantage.

dresden

Reaction score
Final fitting for this overcoat. She thought the shoulders were a little too extended, raised the buttoning point one cm, took the back in a bit, raised the belt in the back,
8F555888-DDB4-4E0D-9827-2BDEC214172A.jpeg
D70AFDA4-16E6-4BEC-8B6C-6213A86DD23E.jpeg
3A81D3E6-2DC9-475A-BD42-61BE5C377970.jpeg
3770137B-990F-4805-87C4-B7A7DA095550.jpeg
B611E136-DA9F-450F-B9E3-F9274F022CE5.jpeg
pulled the collar a little tighter and has to angle the breast pocket down a bit. Ended up too straight after the other changes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads