• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, I requested about 1.5 inch shorter than the last commission. Still covers my butt :lol: FYI I'm wearing gym shorts in the picture.

Edit: That's just how Frank make's his patch pockets. I agree the breast pocket is a tad high.

I'll try to get a better picture tomorrow morning.
High breast pockets look good on shorter guys. Took me awhile to get aesthetically used to it

aristoi bcn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Odd (at least for me) positioning of the top button on this jacket, quite distanced from the edge of the coat. King George VI. Any guess of the tailor?

King George VI at Windsor Castle Gardens in England on the 8 July 1946.jpg

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
@dieworkwear do you have a specific set of measurements you give tailors for your spaced ivy-style buttons on your sleeve cuff?

I originally didn't, and then the tailor screwed it up by spacing the buttons too far apart (which wasn't that big of a deal, as I then just asked them to fill the middle space with an extra button, making it a three-button sleeve). But since then, I've been more specific. I ask for the buttonholes to be cut 2.5cm apart and show them a few pictures to illustrate what I mean.

tumblr_inline_nysnv7Ly8I1qfex1b_1280.jpg

tumblr_n3dtb6SFOs1rf1jvro1_1280.jpg

tumblr_inline_nv8092Ph9w1qfex1b_1280.jpg

tumblr_inline_nysnueLqx21qfex1b_1280.jpg

tumblr_inline_nuqes9l0P71qfex1b_1280.jpg

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I originally didn't, and then the tailor screwed it up by spacing the buttons too far apart (which wasn't that big of a deal, as I then just asked them to fill the middle space with an extra button, making it a three-button sleeve). But since then, I've been more specific. I ask for the buttonholes to be cut 2.5cm apart and show them a few pictures to illustrate what I mean.

View attachment 1438010
View attachment 1438011
View attachment 1438012
View attachment 1438013
View attachment 1438014

great! thanks! yea, I had the RFK picture saved to show my tailor for an upcoming tweed sport coat, but i figured it was probably best to be as exact as possible...

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@dieworkwear do you have a specific set of measurements you give tailors for your spaced ivy-style 2-button cuff?

I found joy with B&Tailor just having 2 buttons done at the 1st and 3rd position. They use the same button size they would on a 4 button.

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That would look sick with a denim
Shirt
I was a bit concerned that the whole suit would come off as too denimy (coined that term) so I just had a pair of trousers made. The result convicted me that a suit would look good thus I can now wear the odd trousers but will have to wait for next summer for the suit (with the suit trouser cut).

Are you thinking dark denim for the shirt? I have one summer weight western shirt in light denim and one in a dark denim.

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was a bit concerned that the whole suit would come off as too denimy (coined that term) so I just had a pair of trousers made. The result convicted me that a suit would look good thus I can now wear the odd trousers but will have to wait for next summer for the suit (with the suit trouser cut).

Are you thinking dark denim for the shirt? I have one summer weight western shirt in light denim and one in a dark denim.
Like a dark denim or white denim. Or a linen Western shirt. Or navy polo.

aristoi bcn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Still missing the buttons so this linen/wool suit will probably not see the light until next summer.

This suit claims for blue corozo buttons.

Still prefer the traditional 3 button roll high from the neapolitans but it looks very good.

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This suit claims for blue corozo buttons.

Still prefer the traditional 3 button roll high from the neapolitans but it looks very good.
Thanks. The Tofanis were going to put corozo on the suit but I found some blue horn buttons with a matte finish in London. I’m having them put those buttons on the suit. It seems most Neapolitan tailors prefer shiny buttons but I prefer matte.

Bespoke DJP

Reaction score
Thanks. The Tofanis were going to put corozo on the suit but I found some blue horn buttons with a matte finish in London. I’m having them put those buttons on the suit. It seems most Neapolitan tailors prefer shiny buttons but I prefer matte.

If they are from the lining co., the navy ones that you have chosen are great! A very suitable alternative would be the royal blue ones (always referring to matte / unpolished horn ones), but unfortunately they only have the 23L and not their matching 32L.

Unless you'd like to enquire whether couple of 32L could be found!

Best,

Dimitris

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads