• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

undertheskin

Reaction score
to me it looks like the inner pocket follows the green dot line and not the ext front dart / red dot line. that's how it's supposed to be. where's the issue?
566AFA63-EAC1-4BE2-85D6-BAE6986F8506.jpeg

IJReilly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow. This thread is why I come here. Makes me feel totally normal.

Also, I love Marionos suits. Never really liked the Rubinacci cut when I saw it before, but it looks incredible in the photos DWW posted. Maybe my tastes have changed. Maybe it was always overshadowed by Lucas somewhat garish taste in cloth (although I think it's kind of cool that he's so bold).

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Also, I love Marionos suits. Never really liked the Rubinacci cut when I saw it before, but it looks incredible in the photos DWW posted. Maybe my tastes have changed. Maybe it was always overshadowed by Lucas somewhat garish taste in cloth (although I think it's kind of cool that he's so bold).

Mariano's suits show the effects of a soft shoulder construction combined with an extended shoulder line, as discussed in other threads.

Matt's Rubi jackets show the same thing

matt.jpg

A tailor once told me that, when you extend the shoulder like this with minimal padding, the ends will drop even more over time.

I think you see this with Marinao's suit. Here it is from many ages ago

5c6faa6e078446c1f8d0f1aa11b58436 (1).jpg

Here it is in 2018

Screen Shot 2020-06-27 at 6.29.18 PM.png

You can see the extension here

The-Rake-Rubinacci-Houndstooth-Suit-Exclusive-8.jpg

Personally, I like this kind of cut. Full through the chest and with an extended shoulder line. But it doesn't work on all body types, and even when it does work, it has some trade-offs.

IJReilly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah it probably would not look very good on me. I usually try to get tight shoulders because my back and shoulders are already pretty big. Any extension makes my head look ridiculously small.

I think it's overall a very tasteful cut. I especially like the lapels.

aristoi bcn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you sure it's the same Solaro's suit in the different pictures?

I'd say that Marino, Marionos and Marinao are not the same person.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Are you sure it's the same Solaro's suit in the different pictures?

I'd say that Marino, Marionos and Marinao are not the same person.

Last two photos are from the same photoshoot.

I believe the first photo is the same suit as the other two. What you makes you believe otherwise?

aristoi bcn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last two photos are from the same photoshoot.

I believe the first photo is the same suit as the other two. What you makes you believe otherwise?

Only one and the same suit but worn by three different people? That would be strange.

Anyway, the suit looks good on all 3 and it's a similar cut to what Iorio is cutting for me nowadays. We'll see how it turns out my next purchase I'm picking up in three weeks.

aristoi bcn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1414634

From your earlier post, it sounds like you take issue with how the jetted opening extends past the front dart. But whether a tailor does this reversed patch or not, wouldn't this be true of any jacket with a front dart, extended or not? Here's a photo of Marino, for example.

As an aside, Marino seems to wear this "reversed patch with a jetted opening" style on some suits.

View attachment 1414148

Huh? I'm not sure what you're saying.

All very confusing.

:uhoh:

IJReilly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe his name is Mariano (the senior and imho more stylish Rubinacci). DWW lost a bit of #menswear cred.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
a couple of pictures of the hip pockets that show up when I ask for an unlined/partially lined coat without patch pockets
View attachment 1415067

Inside:
View attachment 1415068
Interesting! Have not seen this before. Looks like the cloth covering the pocket bag is part of the facing and not a separate piece. Also first time I’ve ever seen top stitching on the sleeve inseam. On the outseam of the sleeve, yes, but first time I’ve seen the inseam top stitched.
Learning a lot on SF!

moddey

Reaction score
Interesting! Have not seen this before. Looks like the cloth covering the pocket bag is part of the facing and not a separate piece. Also first time I’ve ever seen top stitching on the sleeve inseam. On the outseam of the sleeve, yes, but first time I’ve seen the inseam top stitched.
Learning a lot on SF!

Yes, haha! - I've had the same reaction from an SR expat tailor when he's seen my Rubinacci stuff - pretty much every seam is lapped and top stitched. He couldn't get over it. And, yes, the pocket bag is formed by the facing and is not a separate piece.

Last edited:

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mariano's suits show the effects of a soft shoulder construction combined with an extended shoulder line, as discussed in other threads.

Matt's Rubi jackets show the same thing

View attachment 1414632

A tailor once told me that, when you extend the shoulder like this with minimal padding, the ends will drop even more over time.

View attachment 1414634

Here it is in 2018

View attachment 1414633

You can see the extension here

View attachment 1414635

Personally, I like this kind of cut. Full through the chest and with an extended shoulder line. But it doesn't work on all body types, and even when it does work, it has some trade-offs.

I've always really like Maryannews shoulder droop...it's a thing, but I like it...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads